Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Canadian route to be released soon - Oakfield Subdivision Toronto.

Default New Canadian route to be released soon - Oakfield Subdivision Toronto.

For all our Canadian cousins, read all the blurb on here, it looks quite interesting, I will be following the progress, especially, as the included locomotives will be CN's remanufactured GP9RM and a GP38-2.

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/...icle/oh-canada

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 02-08-2020 at 07:46 AM.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Oakville Steve and looks way to short for my tastes buddy.

GP9RM is interesting though, GP38-2 has been done to death.

Thanks for the heads up buddy.

EDIT: Just checked Oakville - Hamilton = 20 miles, hahahahahaha.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

That route is more with switching yard not a route addon. I think that I will pass on this one unless they create more miles in this route. Only 20 miles cost me $30.00 Canadian -- no thank you.

John

All the potential scenic Canadian routes they could do and this is the best they could come up with!

No thank you.

Makes Darlington to Saltburn look expansive by comparison...
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Oakville Steve and looks way to short for my tastes buddy.
    GP9RM is interesting though, GP38-2 has been done to death.
    Thanks for the heads up buddy.
    EDIT: Just checked Oakville - Hamilton = 20 miles, hahahahahaha.
    Mike.
    Oh, yes, thanks Mike, terribly sorry to all our Canadian railsimmers it is Oakville Sub, however, it does state that the expansive industrial trackage around the Hamilton area is virtually a route unto itself, so, the 20 mile length might not be so bad if you're trundling along with a freight at 35/40mph after spending half an hour picking freightcars up along the way, the thought of a GP9RM does sound good though.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

No worries Steve. North American switching doesn't interest me at all buddy.

Only really enjoy long mainline running on US-Canadian routes.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    All the potential scenic Canadian routes they could do and this is the best they could come up with!

No thank you.

Makes Darlington to Saltburn look expansive by comparison...
    Edson Sub would be more exciting for the CN for long run fans. I brought this up earlier but there is little interest in it which surprises me. Hinton-Jasper is pretty nice.
    Rory

At first glance the route looks amazing. Shortness aside, I'm looking forward to seeing how the designer portrays the line. What is troublesome though is there is no mention of GO Transit, which makes up 95% of the line's traffic. In reality, CN barely has a presence on the Oakville Sub comparatively (to other lines) since they sold the line to GO. Two transfers a day from Aldershot to Oakville, and two or three locals based out of Aldershot and Oakville are about it between Burlington West and Oakville. My guessing to the lack of GO Transit equipment/logo's, is due to the same issue a certain model train company that will not be named, based out of Markham, had with the licensing (the issue has been resolved since, but most likely only for them, not the digital world). GO wants way too much of a percentage for the use of their company name and logo to make it worth while - for anything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my thinking.

I can walk into my backyard and watch the Oakville Sub in action - I back onto Port Credit GO Station - and there is only 1 short local freight 5 nights a week (around 11pm), with, you guessed it, a GP38-2 and a GP9rm.
    Last edited by r_claxton; 02-08-2020 at 07:23 PM.

Two points.

1. I wonder what freight cars will come with the route? Looks like just a covered hopper, tank car and auto rack, probably all in CN colours. When you see a 100 car north American freight train pass, unless it's a unit grain or coal train, you're likely to see 100 different freight cars. That's something DTG don't seem to get. At least with other train sims you can import rollingstock from other routes or stand alone DLC.

2. I like switching and local freights but even that becomes boring after you've run the same half dozen scenarios a few times exactly the same each time, so is there going to be a true free roam mode? Probably not.

DTG's marketing strategy seems to have become sell them a route and when they get bored with it try and sell them another one.

The term fire and forget comes to mind... TSW is rapidly becoming a collection of short, non conjoined routes whichever territory you are interested in. Their original UK route (Paddington to Reading) would have been relatively easy to extend and expand either from Reading to Oxford or on to Swindon plus all the Thames Valley branch lines. I can only assume it's a limitation of the UE4 game engine which prevents them from doing this - or their marketing/concept guys suck at their jobs!
    Vern.