Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: New Canadian route to be released soon - Oakfield Subdivision Toronto.

I haven't had time to so the whole route yet, these are screenies of part of the 2D map at the bottom end, however, as with all their offerings, the customer is still restricted to where we can walk and drive, for some unknown reasoning......The blue circle denotes where you cannot access, walking or driving, but it looks good on the 2D map as though DTG want you to think that the map looks completely available, whereas after you buy it you find out it isn't, just like about 25% of the British map DLC content of the Tees Valley Line.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

These are quick 2Ds I had created for those of RTSX & Others wondering about the lone FreeRoam Scenario "Hamilton Explorer". Which you'll see / experience, is indeed very limited in the playing world. This also means no fresh InBnd traffic, nor OutBnd traffic from / to the outside world.
    A.jpgB.jpgC.jpg

After watching the video here's what I got from it.

1: No passenger trains planned at this stage.
    2: Licencing issues with some air horns and bell
    3: Locomotives from CSX Heavy Haul route not compatible or any ability to include them in free roam mode and that possibly means there might not be the ability to add different railroad locomotives to mainline trains for any future trans-con route or sections of those routes even if editor became available.

Free Roam Mode:

1: You can load and unload the ethanol tank cars.
    2: You can not load or unload the hopper cars but the center beams cars do have the ability to load and unload but the user can't do it yet and no places are provided to do it.
    3: You can't leave the yard and do a mainline run to industries.
    4: No AI Trains

Cheers

James

Basically a complete waste of time and money then, as far as i am concerned.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Sadly.. All of the above is so very true. Graphics are very nice though!.

If TSW put as much effort into train operations as they did on the appearance of the route and rolling stock, they could have a winner.
    Interested in all Train-Sims

Yeah I've tried to watch YouTube videos of people having fun watching the engine, honking their horn for no apparent reason, all while NOT watching the signals (considering the advance notification of every signal).

The signals at the entrance to the mains at Parkdale Yard on the east end along the Grimsby Sub is NOT prototypical I assure you. There is an electric lock but there is no dwarf signal. Dwarf signals entering a mainline without any counter signals on the main is not prototypical period.

I understand if they want to simulate an electric lock but that is not simulated by the sounds of it. Why they can't allow passing by signals or manually unlocking switches (considering there is nothing to disrupt this) is stupid.

Oh well I have my own ideas with Run8 still to try.

Thanks

Sean

Well that settles it for me too, more money to spend on my N scale trains, or even the next rolling stock add on for Run8 would be money better spent than a whole route for TSW.

It's a shame though. Looking at those route maps it could keep me occupied for the rest of my life if only you could access it all.

Someone should send them a copy of Run8 and make them sit down and run it so they can see what a train sim can do because they still seem to have no idea.

OK fortunately I came across all these comments, and even some people that decided to buy it for shits and giggles and go through this nonsense for me so I can save my money and time. As a person who lives 30 minutes away let me give you the pros and cons of what I have seen so far.

The Pros:

Very accurate track plans including MANY features buildings and industries. Yes there are some place holders and a few missing crossings here and there. In fact I'd say what I've seen so far they ran out of time in the section just near Hamilton off the industrial lead. If you look at Google Maps they did a great job of Burlington Street eastward once it gets above the ground. However the western end of this is not accurate. But again no big deal.

The engines themselves seem accurate and full of detail. They actually use remote units and there is only about 5 based in Hamilton Yard. This is where all operations in the area actually should begin. Engines do not stay in the industrial sector, but more on this in the negatives.

The Negatives:

OK first of all Oakville Sub is NOT primarily a freight line and the Grimsby Sub (which actually is the mainline east of Hamilton Yard) has very little traffic on it. 2 mainline freights a day, 2 Amtrak passengers, 2 GO weekdays (with some added services on weekends). Not sure how many locals as I'm not a Hamilton resident who has much experience watching every detail move they make. But there is way too many locals running at the same time. Hamilton is very doubtful to see more than 1 crew at a time inside the switching area. They do have 2 lashups so I can see one working the yard, and one the industries if that?

Now the operations. The main source of freight traffic comes in and out of Aldershot, with some work that takes place at Hamilton. This is because the only Niagara trains is 421 & 422 (ones that pass through where I live). They recently had 2 others in 330 331 but it got discontinued a month ago due to economic conditions. They have done this before in similar times.

The main sources of traffic come as mentioned at Aldershot Yard. You will routinely see several trains that run to and from the Dunda Sub in the west (this is the double track the heads off at Bayview Jct.) to the Halton Sub (the track that heads off to Toronto by Burlington Triangle (I have no idea where they got that name from as it's not an official control point by any means). It's actually at the control point Burlington West which of course is west of Burlington GO station on the Oakville.

So the majority of mainlines pass through here with 2 intermodals a day as well. Many trains stop and work Aldershot. There are locals that run from Aldershot down to Hamilton Yard, and actually work the industries on the Grimsby Sub east of Parkdale (that is the yard on the far east of the map). This is the major source for all cars in and out of Hamilton and also interact with Niagara 421 & 422. The other source is CP Rail that has access to the harbour via the small tunnel underneath the Grimsby Sub that is modeled. CP also has about 10 freights last I checked that run the Hamilton Sub. This runs parallel to the Oakville Sub at Hamilton Jct. (This is where that nice looking bridge is over the Desjardin Canal). There is also an access track here for weekday GO Service to and From Hamilton Downtown station.

Speaking of GO Service this is a big miss here. I get issues with license etc. but they do have bi level Bombardier in other routes. Why they couldn't just paint a generic green consist is beyond me. Why it's a huge miss is this is the traffic the freights would have to dodge and they would be restricted during rush hour. So GO runs 30 minute service weekdays from about 4am to midnight give or take. They have additional express traffic that would tie up the 3rd track (middle) as does VIA Rail service that operates about a dozen passenger services a day (2 of these is actually Amtrak equipment on their Maple Leaf service operated by VIA Rail from Niagara Falls to Toronto and back). So instead of seeing ridiculous numbers of locals operating at the same time. I mean really how stupid and ineffective would that be in reality? They have selected services running through the day.

Now had they included the actual core freight trains (as small as those runs are) they still do work at Aldershot which takes a bit of time often holding the main track 1 in the process. Then include the GO and VIA service in whatever generic scheme this would be realistic for the Oakville Sub. Freights would have the challenge of getting out of the way of the priority GO Service that does have an absolute priority or CN pays some good penalty. This is a bit different than the arrangement with VIA who may get occasionally delayed but GO pays a good amount of money to have their trains run on time to CN. Suddenly every freight run would actually be both visually interesting and challenging. You would run on the middle track while services was nearby only venturing to 3 and 1 when you had work to perform outside of peak hours. GO and VIA which have higher speed limits would overtake you and it would be a much better situation.

So now on to the next big criticism and that is the hand holding this sim does. They have 4 tutorials well in depth that basically are the same thing as far as I can tell with a different engine. When you do a runaround move the system shouldn't force you where this is done. Trains often run backwards in this area with a guy in the back protecting crossings. Just tell me where the cars are to go or has anyone ever heard of a switch list?

Finally when it comes to where these locals start with exception of Grimsby Sub east of Parkdale (run by an Aldershot local) all locals run out of Hamilton Yard for the Hamilton Area. There are also locals in Aldershot as mentioned but they serve farther down Grimsby Sub as well as the western end of Oakville Sub. Oakville does have locals on the east end. As for the transfers these are yard to yard transfers only between Oakville, Aldershot, and Hamilton. I'm not sure what transfers are done at Parkdale but no mainline stops to work here.

So again great detail when it comes to the scene where they clearly didn't run out of budge time (most of what I see looks great) but the operations despite having some legit train numbers is filled with many fictional moves. The whole schedule they have is stupid as well especially if we are to believe other services are running at the same time (which for freight is few and far between).

Anyways there is approximately 30 hours of activity and then your on your own in this package I'll just stick to watching youtube content that I can stomach to see the sights. But the operations make me cringe when I know even with limited knowledge of Hamilton itself, the meat and bones simply doesn't exist or is ignored. Piss poor simulation in my opinion.

They need the editors and some serious people to write real activities if this has any traction. But compared to Run8 I fear that too many cars in a yard would cripple anything that is not at the recommended or above levels of gaming computers. These yards in Hamilton, Aldershot, and Oakville have that many tracks for a reason. IE THEY ARE USED! Sure you get a few empty tracks but if CN doesn't use their tracks they have a reputation of ripping them out!

Hope you enjoyed that prototypical viewpoint.

Thanks

Sean

One other thing I'll say is this is obviously not an Ethanol loading zone. The one location I've seen actually is acid and there are other chemicals. They are missing out on some of the other things like scrap that is huge in the area as well as coil steel and the occasional box cars.

I like the idea of loading cars up but this whole idea that a train comes in with empties and loads it in 5 minutes is ridiculous. I would love to see the same mechanic used for an industry that actually takes several hours to load instead of a few minutes. That is why having cars that switch industries empties in loads out for example would be much more accurate.

Anyways I'm done with my rant for now.

Thanks

Sean