Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Canadian route to be released soon - Oakfield Subdivision Toronto.

TSW works well enough in its little corner and so far as the US is concerned, something like a NYC Subway route would be right up its street, particularly with Timetable mode.

However I have pretty much abandoned any real hope of getting a scenario or activity editor, let alone a route editor. they know they can make these quick fire 30 mile routes with a token selection of rolling stock, sell enough copies to pay the rent and their staff for another month or two.

In fact I'm so disillusioned with the scene at present, when I'm not playing ETS2 or ATS, I'm firing up the old SIAM traffic control games which is where my interest in the overall genre seeded itself, all those years ago!
    Vern.

Ah yes SIAM that is where I started too until I found TD3. Mind you I don't do much with TD3 these days but I could always fire that up as well. ATS I could never get my employees to make any decent money, and just driving in the smaller scale I find is tiring after a while.

Funny you mention SIAM because some of the programming itch as of late is steering me more back to the basics. Heck if I can't do 3D scenery why push it with 2D either? Just get the trains running realistically and put in some of my ideas for AI. Of course having the itch and actually starting to code is two different things.

What I need is to get far enough where it's entertaining then I'm motivated to improve it by adding on to the program. Easier said then done.

Thanks

Sean

Some of the UK steam era SIAM games are fiendish, especially where you have to service and allocate the motive power! Just a shame they are still so expensive.
    Vern.

Just looked at their site, as i had never heard of SIAM.

Crazy prices and i guess it is all 2D, as there were no screenies to look at.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Yes it is all 2D Mike, plus most of the older games need to be run through Dfend/DOS Box.

They were charging £40 - £50 for their gold and platinum titles in the '90's, really can't understand how they can sustain that pricing even though the challenge is quite entertaining.
    Vern.

Thanks Vern, a lot of money then buddy. Probably wouldn't amuse me for very long.

With my attention span of a flea.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

I could get hours of entertainment out of just the old DOS-based Crewe demo that SIAM put out, to say nothing of their mid-80s Paddington demo where you had to plan for running the inward locos out of the platforms after the outwards departed (I think I'm remembering that correctly).

The thing about Run8 is that there is never a shortage of things to do. Power to be removed and sent to service, cars to be humped, cars to be trimmed and assembled, routes to set... and driving on top of it all. I could easily spend an entire day off just in Barstow working the yard and doing some dispatching to keep the nearby main lines running as well. (it's for this reason that I don't play any more: with a baby at home I never get that quantity of free time any more)

TSW *should* fill a gap, being a less hardcore simulation and one that lets you have a quick drive when that's all you want vs an hours-long session. However, everything I read about it just puts me off: the dearth of AI traffic, lack of editor, unfixed bugs, short routes, general inflexibility, nickel and diming on DLC. It seems like all the things that annoyed me about TS2020 are magnified.

(there's also the fact that Run8 is so comprehensive, it's hard to play a much more limited sim like TSW afterwards. I had the same problem with Elite: Dangerous, in that I was too used to the freedom and options and impact on the overall world that I had gotten used to having in EvE Online)

Ah Elite Dangerous... Very good but as you say a bit lacking. Have played two seperate Commanders, been to Beagle Point several times to get Exploration Elite with both profiles. However that's generally where at stops as the thought of grinding out Trade or Comabt plus doing all the engineering/Guardian modules to get there wears a bit thin. In fact I prefer in some ways the X games, even Rebirth wasn't that bad after Egosoft eventually patched out all the bugs. Yet to try X4, not paying £40 for it though probably prettier than the SIAM screen and definitely more gameplay value than a TSW route!
    Vern.

Funny you mention X4, I was just talking to a guy on YouTube who said he was hoping to get it today, with the 3.0 beta patch, to try.

As for Elite, I don't think I've ever played a game that was so intent on wasting your time... hours sunk into it and you'd come away with almost nothing to show for it, either in-game progress or satisfaction of having enjoyed yourself.

I think this is why (as you said) the Euro/American Truck Simulators are so popular right now, here and elsewhere: you actually have to be involved in playing, and there's just enough structure to the experience that you feel like you're making progress beyond your successful driving. TSW is clearly trying to do that with the way they've structured the game, but they seem to have forgotten to make it involving and fun, and most importantly, a believable simulation, at the same time.

We have seriously digressed!

Just getting back on target. There is a free roam activity in the new route. However there is still some limitations.

So this is cool but I'll wait a bit and see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L_lmIBVgU4

Thanks

Sean