Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Canadian route to be released soon - Oakfield Subdivision Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I can only assume it's a limitation of the UE4 game engine which prevents them from doing this - or their marketing/concept guys suck at their jobs!
    Yes, it does beg the question it is the UE4 or poor DTG designers that is the issue...Personally, and sorry to go a bit political, makes me wonder just how many employees from both DTG and NV3 created the app that blew up Iowa.....

Quote Originally Posted by alvinkathage View Post
    When you see a 100 car north American freight train pass, unless it's a unit grain or coal train, you're likely to see 100 different freight cars. That's something DTG don't seem to get. At least with other train sims you can import rollingstock from other routes or stand alone DLC.
    2. I like switching and local freights but even that becomes boring after you've run the same half dozen scenarios a few times exactly the same each time, so is there going to be a true free roam mode? Probably not.
    I'm sure that DTG have now marketed the game towards console players who don't have an editor and therefore cannot import rolling stock from one route to another, so, they have to give us different freightcars with each DLC offering, well, at least we hope so. Also because of this console gaming limitation I have been saying for ages now that I doubt if free roam mode will ever be given to us, otherwise, as we've now had the game out for a couple of years we would have had it by now, don't you think?

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    I'm sure that DTG have now marketed the game towards console players who don't have an editor and therefore cannot import rolling stock from one route to another, so, they have to give us different freightcars with each DLC offering, well, at least we hope so. Also because of this console gaming limitation I have been saying for ages now that I doubt if free roam mode will ever be given to us, otherwise, as we've now had the game out for a couple of years we would have had it by now, don't you think?

Cheerz. Steve.
    True, which is why I haven't bought or played any TSW DLC for a couple of years either.

I'll look at the reviews of the new route, if anyone here gets it and posts any, but I'm not expecting miracles.

Whether because of DTG marketing strategy or that UE4 was just a bad choice as the base for a train simulator to begin with I don't think TSW will ever be the greatest train sim ever that the original hype led us to believe. Over at RWA, if I could still see it, I'm sure they are still saying to give them time though.

Now if we had editors and could reskin that GP9RM for a leasing company or shortline and could build a shortline for it to potter around on.....

Quote Originally Posted by alvinkathage View Post
    I wonder what freight cars will come with the route? Looks like just a covered hopper, tank car and auto rack, probably all in CN colours. When you see a 100 car north American freight train pass, unless it's a unit grain or coal train, you're likely to see 100 different freight cars. That's something DTG don't seem to get. At least with other train sims you can import rollingstock from other routes or stand alone DLC.
    In some of the promotional screenshots, you can see freight cars from the CSX Sandpatch Grade, Northeast Corridor, and San Francisco-San ose routes mixed in with freight cars that come by default with this route. One of the TSW devs has confirmed on social media that freight cars from other routes are able to automatically spawn in appropriate trains. While we don't have any control over things like that at this point, it's nice to see that one of the main features TSW brings (equipment substitution) is finally being utilized on a North American freight route. This is the first piece of TSW content I've purchased in a while, and I am cautiously optimistic about this - if they've modeled a large portion of the Hamilton industrial area, I could see the route providing plenty of enjoyment for switching fans.

I am cautiously optimistic about this
    I'll look forward to your review of this route when it is introduced. Like many others, I'm waiting for the pro's and con's.
    Interested in all Train-Sims

Surprised SurvivorSean isn’t in here grinding his teeth.

This seems like a bad joke. I live in the area (Toronto) and have ridden this route many times. Their selected area and choice of trains are both downright bizarre.

This is GO Transit’s Lakeshore West line. It is their second busiest, with all day train service running every 30 minutes or better. There is also a lot of VIA’s Corridor services to Windsor and Amtrak’s daily Maple Leaf from
    New York.

None of this will be modelled, of course. It’ll be like Great Western Express where you’d think Paddington was a ghost town. Also like Great Western Express, this route will likely look very different in a few years with electrification plans on the books for six out of GO’s seven lines.

All the GO services through here run from Toronto Union Station (many having originated far to the east in Oshawa on the Lakeshore East line) to Aldershot, West Harbour, Hamilton GO Centre... and one commuter service each way to Niagara Falls. These are 10 and 12 car Bombardier Bi-Levels propelled by MP40 locomotives (related to the MP36 that’s forthcoming for Peninsula Corridor). VIA’s are P42DCs and a mix of LRC and heritage Budd coaches.

I really, really don’t understand DTG’s thinking here. The route is pathetically small, doesn’t go anywhere of note (the Union Station Rail Corridor was too much trouble, I guess) and is missing 90% of its traffic.

Video of what the traffic along this route is actually like for anyone who's curious. Check out the "Juno Express" at 5:22, which is a special train for the Juno Awards (Canadian music awards) going to London, coupled onto the back of the normal Corridor service going to Windsor. Real mix of coaches and yes, a locomotive cut into the middle for when they separate at London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xr55fDJM4E

Quote Originally Posted by dejoh View Post
    I am cautiously optimistic about this
    I'll look forward to your review of this route when it is introduced. Like many others, I'm waiting for the pro's and con's.
    According to Steam, Denny, this route DLC will be released next Thursday 20th February.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 02-12-2020 at 04:03 PM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

To metalangel:

That is why I won't buy this route unless DoveTail Games improve this route to make longer between two points. That route is more on switching yard and that's about it. Also they setup the scenarios to run in day time but the local work train is doing all the switching work at nights not in daytime because of GO Transit and VIA Rail too (both have several trains running through this route. I would like to know who is the route builder to create this route? I am not sure if that's done in house at DoveTail Games or contractor who get the money to build the route then sell the route to DoveTail Games. Hopefully will find out about this.

John

Quote Originally Posted by cn bala View Post
    To metalangel:

That is why I won't buy this route unless DoveTail Games improve this route to make longer between two points. That route is more on switching yard and that's about it. Also they setup the scenarios to run in day time but the local work train is doing all the switching work at nights not in daytime because of GO Transit and VIA Rail too (both have several trains running through this route. I would like to know who is the route builder to create this route? I am not sure if that's done in house at DoveTail Games or contractor who get the money to build the route then sell the route to DoveTail Games. Hopefully will find out about this.

John
    I spent too many days standing on Burlington GO's platform in the snow waiting for a train back to Toronto and can confirm there was barely any freight traffic... if anything ever came by I would whip out my phone and record it, I saw some CN power moves go past towards Oakville but that's about it.

As I said, I really don't understand why, if they wanted to make a big yard for switching scenarios and some local industry runs, they'd pick this spot. All those painstakingly modelled stations along the way that don't have passengers waiting nor trains calling at them? It never struck them that it will look odd? Meanwhile, Toronto Union to Aldershot (which is what the majority of Lakeshore West GO services do, and Aldershot is also where VIA services stop) is 55km and therefore well within the range of what DTG seem willing to do. Though if they were doing an actual GO route, I'd have said Lakeshore East was a better and more scenic option (and 5km shorter, too).

The reactions over on the DTG forums aren't exactly favourable for this, either.