Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Canadian route to be released soon - Oakfield Subdivision Toronto.

Maybe DTG would say they don't have the license to do GO rollingstock, but the 'we don't have the license to do whatever' excuse is one I don't buy. Take BNSF for example, no other train sim has problems with BNSF, Run8 being the prime example, likewise every model railroad manufacturer yet DTG say they cannot sell BNSF (or BNSF predecessor railroad) branded rollingstock outside the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by alvinkathage View Post
    Take BNSF for example, no other train sim has problems with BNSF, Run8 being the prime example, likewise every model railroad manufacturer yet DTG say they cannot sell BNSF (or BNSF predecessor railroad) branded rollingstock outside the USA.
    I'm sure that the DTG decision was taken as they sell DLC through Steam, Alvin, who are American based, and even though BNSF as a company don't operate in Britain if Valve sell content with their copyright logos on, etc, they possibly might face legal charges from BNSF, so, to avoid this conflict, they just said to DTG, we won't endose any BNSF products, as they have an awful lot of money and customers to lose financially than DTG, if things go pear-shaped.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by alvinkathage View Post
    Maybe DTG would say they don't have the license to do GO rollingstock, ....
    There's an easy way around that situation: provide rolling stock which has a fictional livery.
    It's been done before. Maple Leaf Tracks didn't have the right to include certain grain-carrying cars when Kicking Horse Pass was first released but they gave us cars all the same.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

They could always supply a free branding patch, from their own web site.

The same way that Armstrong Powerhouse does.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

DTG seem particularly sensitive to licensing issues.

We have the ongoing farce with their BNSF stuff, now only being sold to USA customers.

Then the North Wales Coast getting pulled because of the Virgin branding.

As Mike says, this could all be avoided if they gave their routes a historic setting (BR Blue for the UK) or just released everything unbranded.

They also seem very reluctant to re-work anything to get round the problem. At least one of the routes I created when I was building in DTG TS references stuff from Marias Pass, so anyone who doesn't already own it outside the US is stuffed. Sad indictment of their fire and forget policy when it comes to merchandise. I was reading reviews of other TSW routes I don't own, thinking of spending the money I got refunded off Tees Valley and most of them have issues which, it appears, just don't get fixed.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    DTG seem particularly sensitive to licensing issues.

We have the ongoing farce with their BNSF stuff, now only being sold to USA customers.

Then the North Wales Coast getting pulled because of the Virgin branding.

As Mike says, this could all be avoided if they gave their routes a historic setting (BR Blue for the UK) or just released everything unbranded.
    I am sure I read somewhere that SCS Software had issues with using generic versions of trucks they hadn't yet got the licences for in Euro Truck Simulator. Guessing the actual brands didn't appreciate it too much during the negotiation process to get the real thing? For this reason, American Truck Simulator has only used real trucks they had licences for, which is why the game has just celebrated its fourth birthday last week and they only recently acquired the last outstanding US manufacturer licences (Freightliner, Mack, Western Star).

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    I'm sure that the DTG decision was taken as they sell DLC through Steam, Alvin, who are American based, and even though BNSF as a company don't operate in Britain if Valve sell content with their copyright logos on, etc, they possibly might face legal charges from BNSF, so, to avoid this conflict, they just said to DTG, we won't endose any BNSF products, as they have an awful lot of money and customers to lose financially than DTG, if things go pear-shaped.

Cheerz. Steve.
    You can get BNSF DLC for Trainz through Steam so sorry, I smell BS. Admittedly scale models are different than computer software but you can also go into any hobby shop in the UK or Australia and buy BNSF models so BNSF has no problems with its copyrighted logos being sold round the world. If it was across the board I'd beleive it but not when it appears to be only DTG that has problems.

We're getting a bit off track here though, whether or not DTG can provide BNSF (or GO) rollingstock or provide Virgin branded trains on UK routes where it is historically accurate to do so even if they no longer run there (one of the pros of train sims is doing things no longer possible in real life, I don't know, someone might want to model that route in the Virgin era) doesn't alter the fact that what they do produce is not worth having either.

It's telling that the most active thread these days is about driving buses on a truck simulator.
    Last edited by westfalen; 02-15-2020 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by westfalen View Post

It's telling that the most active thread these days is about driving buses on a truck simulator.
    Oops, my bad

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by westfalen View Post
    You can get BNSF DLC for Trainz through Steam so sorry, I smell BS. Admittedly scale models are different than computer software but you can also go into any hobby shop in the UK or Australia and buy BNSF models so BNSF has no problems with its copyrighted logos being sold round the world. If it was across the board I'd beleive it but not when it appears to be only DTG that has problems.
    You make a valid point, however, SCS doesn't have a licence either, because in their truck sim the American locomotives are in BNSF liivery, but, the lettering on the side is something like BSFN, so, I think it depends on the publisher/developer of computer games and to licencing agreements, or, the lack of it, etc.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Ok so someone got my attention on this when in all honesty I haven't been on this forum for a while. My Run8 activity has also diminished. I'll say this it's too bad Run8 didn't have the vision to consider something like this. I mean I'm no route developer but this isn't too far from where I would want to do something myself. For now Run8 continues to be the place if you have about 20 to 30 people 24 hours a day 7 days a week on a server it can be "As real as it gets". Of course even the 2 biggest servers can't boast those numbers, so they pretend it's as real as it gets, and the rest of us little farts really pretend. But yes the physics are just awesome (exhale emoji whatever that is)!

So now about this, I'm very curious about this and the screenshots I've seen are very accurate. The fact that they show a diamond tells me they are into the Hamilton industrial area so this is more than just a 20 mile mainline. Keep in mind lit up scenes are probably going to show off more to the average person than night scenes but not everything here is done at night. Within that 20 mile section there are currently 2 (was as many as 4 until a few weeks ago) mainline freights coming to and from my home are of the Grimsby Sub. from what would be Hamilton to Bayview Jct. I'm not sure how much is modeled beyond Bayview Jct. on the Dundas but it's likely for staging AI trains only or a start end point. Ditto for the Grimsby Sub.

Hamilton Yard does work in the daytime hours as GO traffic is at a minimum and does not get in the way of the harbour runs. Now I don't know when all the harbour runs take place, but considering they are not in the way of passenger traffic and have direct access from Hamilton Yard there is tons of switching here potentially.

Aldershot Yard which is just east of Hamilton is a major set off pick up location for the Burlington area. AI or player trains staged at the Dundas Subs or Halton Subs just east of here could easily be assigned this task. Not sure when the Hamilton transfer takes place (used to be train 555 but that could have changed) but considering freights do operate in the area this is why it's triple track as GO & VIA can get around them.

So the major concern I'm seeing is that GO VIA and the daily Amtrak will not be included. Of course this leaves open even more add on crap to buy I take it since we probably don't have any editors with TSW? No way of getting new activities. So you run the activities and then you pretty much have done it all? As much as I love Run8's realism I can live with less than realistic physics. It's the open world systems that keep you in the box I'm concerned with the most.

I'm going to keep an eye on this one. I have NOT purchased TSW so I take it I have to purchase what TSW heavy haul or something then this is an add on? My machine is a mid level machine as it is so again not so sure about this but again this interests me.

For the record as far as Canadians this is home base to a huge population of Canada. Yes it's not the scenic subs out west or even closer say Bala Sub heading north or CP Mactier but it is home to an area many many Canadians are familiar with.

I haven't followed TSW forum in a while but I'll keep my eyes open and hope to see some stuff on Youtube. I will NOT rush out to purchase this thing that is for sure, but I'll keep optimistic. If there is enough variety for the price, I'll certainly consider it.

Thanks

Sean
    Last edited by SurvivorSean; 02-15-2020 at 08:40 PM. Reason: intended sarcasm :)