Thread: NAVS rolling stock

Default NAVS rolling stock

Did up a small video showing some NAVS payware in the sim, comparing their product to DW freight cars. Both are kind of similar in quality and features. So if you are bummed out by DW's introverted pull back, then you have new options here with NAVS. Both vendors have 3D roof ribs, but very few 3D details on the car sides. They are not high poly, and are more suited to be nice quality replacements for earlier Curphey-type rolling stock and the hundreds of horrendously bad photoskin repaints made of those throughout the years. Excellent material to stuff yard tracks and industrial spurs with, no more need for low-poly dummy car strings - EVER.....

The first 4 boxcars in the train in the video are DW, the remaining cars are all NAVS from their Plate B and Plate C base sets @ 6.50 USD each. The Plate C cars are slightly taller than the Plate B cars. I did not buy their Pickens add-on set, as I had little interest in 16 total different Pickens car numbers, rather there were two DDS textures providing four Pickens car numbers bundled with the free repaint texture kit uploaded to the TS library, so I applied those two DDS textures to copies of the Plate B shape from the base set to produce loads and empties for four Pickens car numbers, more than enough variety for one car scheme for me. Unfortunately, by using this approach, I cannot use the Pickens numbers in any 3rd party activities I may produce, since others will not have my custom naming conventions.

Had the large Pickens add-on set been reworked as an expansion set for various shortline roads that wore the solid blue NRUC scheme (such as Peninsula Terminal, St Lawrence, Hoosier Connection, Morristown & New Jersey, etc) the variety of names would have been worth the purchase. But I will never need loads and empties for 16 car numbers for one road name, so I don't understand why these large packs for one road scheme are ever assembled in the first place.

NAVS also supplies you with a variety of shape file variations. You can choose between 2 different truck styles, whether you want 3D roof ribs or not, and whether you want specular lighting roof glint or not. They also provide 2 different loaded car physics per car number, one where the car physics is maxed out by weight, the other maxed out by cubic volume (less than max weight). The options are almost too many to be helpful. I chose Barber trucks, with 3D roof ribs, no specular roof glint (most DW and TS stock lacks such glint effects, no need to be different just to 'stick out', I want features across various vendors to blend well) and I deleted all the remaining shape options as unnecessary clutter. Since each DDS texture provides 2 car numbers, I set up one car number to max out by weight and the other car number to max out by cubic volume. So I ended up with just one loaded wag file per car number, and chucked the rest as clutter there as well.

The wheeltread reflection also seems to be dynamically applied based on position of the camera relative to the sun as well. In the first two passes of the train in the video, you see very little wheel tread reflection, in the third pass you see much more on account of the different camera angle. Just another thing I wish all vendors were the same on, as there are no bonus points awarded for being different just to be different on purpose. In the real world the sun doesn't react differently between a Gunderson freight car and a Johnstown America freight car.....

Ok, I'll bite - what is NAVS Rolling Stock? Where can one get it? I Googled NAVS Rolling Stock, and did not find anything railroad/SIM related.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Cheers
    Derek

Thanks Derek, much appreciated.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

With the introduction of the NAVs payware, Erick is pushing the enevelope ( in a good way ) of content development. He is using the include files in an interesting way and helping open up the possibilities of Open Rails. Cool Stuff!
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    They are not high poly, and are more suited to be nice quality replacements for earlier Curphey-type rolling stock and the hundreds of horrendously bad photoskin repaints made of those throughout the years. .

Geez, I'll be sure to never do that again.

These boxcars are an excellent addition though from Mr. Cantu. Unfortunately, these cars don't fit the bill for my Paper Mill needs.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png