Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CSXWA Subdivision Ref file

Default CSXWA Subdivision Ref file

I am trying to edit one of my favorite routes, the CSX WA Subdivision. However, when I try to load the ref file in TSRE, it doesn't show in the ref tab. Can anyone look at the ref file and give me some advice? I would greatly appreciate it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

There's not a lot in the ref file. Just some crossing signals and a hand full of trees.
    Silly question, is it a .ref file or a .txt file in the route folder? Needs to be a .ref.
    If there's more stuff in the route that's not showing you can run it through Route_Riter and create a .ref file.
    A little more info on the route would be helpful, file name, maybe where you got it.
    Also, where's the ref tab in TSRE?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    .......snip...................Also, where's the ref tab in TSRE?
    Randy
    Top right in Objects Panel
    TSRE-Main.jpg

The Ref file is just a Unicode Text file as used much in MSTS. Can be opened with a text editor:
    WordPad, Context are but two.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I know where the objects window is. I've never heard of the ref tab.
    Thought there was something I was missing.

Randy

The W&A sub. was an early route. As I recall the author created a version early in the game and then
    later extended it.

I have the Chattanooga sub. in my "hope to do" list and I have digitized all of it and extracted terrain
    but have not laid any track yet. I lived in Tullahoma, TN, about the mid-point for 2 years ini the 60s
    and I am originally from Nashville, so the route is important to me. I included all the branches that
    I could define in UsaPhotomaps, and digitize from the image of choice back then.

Jerry Sullivan

I just made the .ref file a .txt so I could upload it. I'm looking at the version 2.3 of the route. I just want to update the trees buildings. I picked it because its not a large route. Maybe I should download the earliest version, then copy 2.3 on top. Its always worked as a standalone though. Very little show up in the object section, not even buildings, which are clearly there. I was thinking something is missing in the code of the .ref file, but I can't figure out what.

There is a monon.ref file in the shapes folder of the route that may work.
    Rename csxwasubdivision.ref and then copy the monon.ref file to the root folder and rename it.
    Worth a shot.

Randy

Thanks Randy. You reminded me of Route Riter. It has a tab to make a Ref. I remade it and everything works.

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    There is a monon.ref file in the shapes folder of the route that may work.
    Rename csxwasubdivision.ref and then copy the monon.ref file to the root folder and rename it.
    Worth a shot.

Randy
    If you add another .ref file from another road into the route you are working on, you are really opening Pandora's Box for errors. It the ref from the other route most likely has shape & texture files listing for other scenery objects that aren't in the route. You will get tons of error messages. And chances are you won't even boot MSTS RE or AE and forget about running it in MSTS (And OR for the most part too). Because it will be looking for items in the ref file that don't exist in the route's Shapes & Texture files.

Best thing is to run Route Riter's "Make A .Ref File" to create one for the route in question. That way the items in the route and on the ref.

If you don't have Route Riter installed on your PC, try using MSTS Ref File Manager v.1 from the library here (mstsrfm.zip) I use it to edit my .ref file Classes all the time. And it does make ref files for routes too.
    - Mark -

Just for information, neither MSTS or Open rails need the ref file to run trains and the AE is happy without it. even the RE will open without it being present, but will give errors if shapes in a ref file are not present.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.