Thread: how is the train limit for MSTS calculated?

Default how is the train limit for MSTS calculated?

may i just ask here too regarding the train limit in msts and that figure of 800 i read, what constitutes that number? i mean is it simple the number of locomotives in the list if i choose to explore a route? or is it something deeper, i mean i have a number of PT addons now - 7 or so installed and there are about 175 locos in the in game list, - many though seem to be similar or the same models, just numbered variants fro whatever reason - does that make any difference?

i ask because i have a mega addon German Railroads xxl and it claims to add 400 locos and 550waggons - i would like to install it because it also comes with activities or Protrain 1-10
    i would also like to add a few more PT addons

an odd thing also i noticed in PT 7 Frankfurt-Nuernberg in the manual it recommends not using Trainstore and that simply having less things installed is best - (annoying advice given how much PT content was created and that installing a PT addon can take 20-30minutes)

Train Store just stores away routes, not locomotives and rolling stock, so you can still wind up with an MSTS folder with an impractical number of other objects.

The PRR Eastern is best run as a self contained mini-route; do the same with this package and you'll have a setup that runs as efficiently as MSTS can handle.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Trainstore does remove all the unused locos and rolling stock not used in any particular activity.The limit for consists is,I believe about 800.Above that,I think the AE will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post
    Train Store just stores away routes, not locomotives and rolling stock, so you can still wind up with an MSTS folder with an impractical number of other objects.

The PRR Eastern is best run as a self contained mini-route; do the same with this package and you'll have a setup that runs as efficiently as MSTS can handle.
    You're wrong, Eric. Train Store hides the unused ENG and WAG files. It does not have to hide the shape and skin files also because MSTS first looks for ENG/WAG files then reads the associated files.

For the OP the number 800 came from the observation that once one has about 800 consists then MSTS becomes unstable. It is not the 800 CON files per-say but also the files of the engines and wagons. There is no fixed number as all Trainsets are unique.
    Charles

Ok thanks - I guess I will just have to experiment.

Unfortunately trainstore does not work for me - I installed it and it tells me language options are disabled, which I think is a problem if my Msts install is German, and then when I set it up and try to run Msts through it it tells me the train.exe can't be found, even though the path is correct.

I am not familiar with what PRR Eastern is and how it relates to my query exactly, the stuff about mini routes I don't understand either.
    Also what is the AE?

Quote Originally Posted by Heruraha93 View Post
    Ok thanks - I guess I will just have to experiment.

Unfortunately trainstore does not work for me - I installed it and it tells me language options are disabled, which I think is a problem if my Msts install is German, and then when I set it up and try to run Msts through it it tells me the train.exe can't be found, even though the path is correct.

I am not familiar with what PRR Eastern is and how it relates to my query exactly, the stuff about mini routes I don't understand either.
    Also what is the AE?
    Train Store uses the OS registry to locate the MSTS installation. How did you install MSTS? From the CD or a copy from another PC? Install from the MSTS CDs would have created a registry entry.

Realize that Train Store works with only one MSTS install. Having multiple MSTS installs and changing the MSTS path in the registry will screw up everything.

AE is short for MSTS Activity Editor.
    Charles

i install msts from CD, but i do also have some other folders with msts in it that i copied so i could install things to them also (when i install things i make the folder i want to install to the main MSTS folder - not sure if i need to do that or not though for getting things installed)

regarding the consists - i looked in the folder of my msts install (one whidh i have installed numerous protrain addons to ) and it has like 1086 items in it, and the Trainset folder has 183 - and this version of MSTS runs fine so far as i can tell. and my other MSTS folder (one which i have installed a Binpatch version and various other addons,) has 657 items in consist folder and 188 in the trainset folder