Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oh no, the Sydney-Melbourne XPT just had a tragic derailment!

Default oh no, the Sydney-Melbourne XPT just had a tragic derailment!

I was just this week finally making my own activities and using the XPT and i saw this sad news - actually had 2 family members who were taking the very next XPT following htis one but all services cancelled on the line. its a service my parents and siblings use often

tragically there were 2 fatalities

possibly signalling error - though still i dont understand how such derailments happen on seemingly straight track

https://www.news.com.au/national/vic...e5f941c3fcc2fa

Nasty and very sad.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

RIP to those who died.

Probably best not to speculate on the cause, let the professional investigators do their job.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    RIP to those who died.

Probably best not to speculate on the cause, let the professional investigators do their job.
    Exactly Vern, the sensationalism society. The press are bad enough, without the rest of us putting our twopenneth worth in.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Just woke up to this news. The other fatality was also a railway employee, apparently.

I only ever did the Syd-Mel trip once and that was on the original Southern Aurora service, back in the 1970s, about a decade after it commenced and after the Violet Town accident in 1969, in which nine deaths occurred.

Then in 1975 my wife and I did the Kalgoorlie - Port Pirie section of the Indian Pacific.
    Perth trip; 1975; Trans-Australian @ Port Augusta.JPG
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Exactly Vern, the sensationalism society. The press are bad enough, without the rest of us putting our twopenneth worth in.

Mike.
    Sorry my quasi rhetorical question was not really specifically about the cause of the derailment, there will be an investigation of course. I just got to wondering about derailments generally, I don't have any 2 cents of my own to add.
    I more so just wanted to mention the news somewhere where people might understand it's gravity - maybe I am just being daft but the XPT train is the main train I grew up with, and my wife's sister is now a train driver too and so it becomes concerning when we learn of a train driver and pilot both dying .

Wasn't aimed at you buddy. Just modern society in general and i am ex-railway myself.

Mike

Okay, well you are right about the sensationalism though - the front page of the typically gutter press Murdoch paper is a picture of the train with large attention grabbing headline TRAIN CARNAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Heruraha93 View Post
    .... TRAIN CARNAGE
    That so-called journalist clearly has no idea of the definition of "carnage", which is:- "The killing of a large number of people."

Two hardly meets the requirement of "a large number of people".
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Carnage in this day and age, is someone breaking a finger nail.

Mike.