Thread: The Cheapest Way to Walk Away From Your Keyboard...

Default The Cheapest Way to Walk Away From Your Keyboard...

Hi Folks,

I've always despised using my keyboard with Train Sims - most other sims in different genres have full Direct-X Joystick Support that automatically recognizes the myriad of joysticks and controllers out there - unfortunately we don't have that luxury... Nothing ruins the immersion more for me than having to look for the [;] or [d] key to run a train...

I realize Rail Driver has been around for a long time and many have it - but a pricey $200.00 dedicated train controller really didn't fit my needs or desk space requirements - as I have other interests as well...

Over the years I've used various key stroke emulators for hardware controllers - it's not ideal because we still resort to counting keystrokes instead of recognizing the precise position of analog joysticks... More recently - someone clued me in to "Joy2Key" which is by far the simplest and easiest to get started with... With a FREE unlimited trial period and a cost of $7.00 you really can't go wrong...

JoyToKey
    https://joytokey.net/en/

Now this software will work with most any controller but if you're looking for "inexpensive" controller with a proven device that works well - you can pair it with a Logitech G-310... While you don't have an unlimited amount of buttons - you can program just about all the basic train control commands to it along with the basic camera movements - so that you seldom have to reach for the keyboard... Your fingers will quickly learn where each function is located and you will intuitively manipulate the needed controls without thought...

Logitech G310 Gamepad
    Capture.JPG

So for less than $30.00 you can walk away from that ball and chain of a keyboard - for most functions...

It might not sound like much but for me - it vastly improves the experience and is well worth the cost of admission...

You're mileage may vary - just figured I'd share...

Regards,
    Scott

Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Ghost View Post
    LOL - good steer - Borislav…

Regards,
    Scott

Hey Scott,
    I got one of them. Discovered in my "computer closet"(30 years worth of 'Stuff'). Can't even remember why I bought it,or when.
    I can see the possibilities, but presently clueless as to configuration.
    My thought would be to use the Up\Dn - L\R pad like the arrow keys, Left Joy for Throttle(R=incr, L=Decr)(Up=Foward, Dwn=Rev).
    Right Joystick for Braking, Colored keys for views.
    I also picked up JoytoKey. Something to play with this weekend.
    BTW, I do have Raildriver on the Rail-dedicated Win7 computer. Want to try this on the Win10 work computer.
    Any suggestions welcome.
    Russ G

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." James Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by woodfyr View Post
    Hey Scott,
    I got one of them. Discovered in my "computer closet"(30 years worth of 'Stuff'). Can't even remember why I bought it,or when.
    I can see the possibilities, but presently clueless as to configuration.
    My thought would be to use the Up\Dn - L\R pad like the arrow keys, Left Joy for Throttle(R=incr, L=Decr)(Up=Foward, Dwn=Rev).
    Right Joystick for Braking, Colored keys for views.
    I also picked up JoytoKey. Something to play with this weekend.
    BTW, I do have Raildriver on the Rail-dedicated Win7 computer. Want to try this on the Win10 work computer.
    Any suggestions welcome.
    Hi Russ,

It’s super easy to generate multiple profiles for whatever your need - actually - on my primary PC I use a full blown HOTAS system that I use with Flight Sim - so I have no shortage of POV’s, Buttons, and Joystick Axis to assign... JoyToKey also supports multiple devices at once which is nice...

The 310 I use on my laptop while traveling - that said - it works pretty well... I can send you my 310 profile next week as I think JoyToKey can import them... I spend 90% of my time in steam - so I use the X/Y on the left joystick as both Regulator/Reverser respectively... I use the Y on the right joystick as the Train Brake... To the directional pad I assign the Arrow Keys - the left two triggers are Zoom - the right two triggers are Engine Brake - all the other keys are assigned as well - you get the idea... I have a separate profile for diesels... You want to check the multi key tab because you can make simple macros... All good...

You may need to tweak the Controller section of your ENG files to get the rates of change manageable for use with the game pad... I use an include file I setup and just assign it to all the steam locomotives I drive... Makes it easy...

Regards,
    Scott

Scott,
    Thanx for the input. I will look forward to seeing your profile(s). Good thought about seperate ones for steam and diesel.

BTW, I am making a few duplicate routes and rebuilding trainsets and consists to reflect the latter part of the steam era (30s and 40s), and transition era (50s and 60s). Am concentrating on the northeast, New England and the Maritimes.
    Russ G

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." James Joyce

This is my setup using Thrustmaster 3-in-1 Dual Trigger Gamepad Rumble Force:

https://imgur.com/ULbBDxi
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif