Thread: Long hood forward

Default Long hood forward

The new activity for Ruel has reached the half-way point. Now it's 2.5 hours back to Capreol after dropping the rock cars and flipping back at Gogama. It's only a dozen or so miles to the lumber mill at Ostrum where the rest of the cars in the train will be switched out, so we leave the caboose sandwiched for the time being. When we depart the mill, the cab will be in the proper place on the rear.

Is this your new activity that you created for CN Ruel Subdivision. Anyway your activity look good. Also thank you for sharing your video.

John

geepster, did you notice -- with the long hood forward -- that the locomotive responded incorrectly to the grade, speeding up when the grade increased and slowing down when the grade decreased? If not, try the long hood forward on something with a noticeable grade and see what happens? Just looking for some confirmation about something I noticed.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Remember that your heads up gradient displays are going to show as if you're driving with the F on the locomotive going forward.
    I've brought this up a couple times over the years and nothing's been done to correct it.
    Same thing if you turn the engine on a wye.
    It has to do with the front of the engine not the direction of travel.

Randy

View from the cab. The track monitor subs for a rear-wall speedo that seems to be prototypically the 'in thing' on modern locomotives nowadays. Also please excuse the fact that I have not reworked the cab-specific texture yet to replace the zebra stripes with the noodle paint on the long hood.

In the process of building this, I have noted a couple of issues. I started out using Trainsimulation's supplied paths for AI traffic, but a couple of my meet partners did the vanishing act when sent into the apparent wrong track during a meet. This is a known issue with the default supplied activities, too. All errors logged seemed to be path related. That vanishing problem stopped happening when I replaced the TS paths with my own paths built for AI traffic. I think TS supplied 4 or 6 generic paths for all AI traffic in each direction depending on whether the train was Montreal or Toronto bound. I'm not saying potentially all TS supplied paths are a culprit in this, but some definitely were. That's for more diagnosis at a later time.

The activity was built with only one reverse point, used to change the overall directional flow of the activity at the turn-back point (at Gogama). All other switching required is to be done by slipping into and out of Manual mode and making whatever off-path localized moves are needed during the switching. This is how activities for OR should be built, not the old MSTS way of using a reverse point to back into and out of every customer spur. Most switching is done with local control of the switches in manual mode, not with dispatcher assistance to throw switches for the crew which is what a barrage of reverse points employed while switching usually represents.

That said, code-wise, I do not think the directional flip via a single reverse point is presently bulletproof, either. I have discovered issues with the engaging of Autopilot while running long hood forward. At times, the directional arrow in the track monitor changes direction when autopilot is engaged, meaning the locomotive is being sent conflicting info on which direction it should be moving, and physics-wise, begins a tug-of-war with itself. That list of oddities is not yet complete. Will look into gradients.

One more tactical challenge included in the act is I dispatched this engine from Capreol with less than 500 gallons of fuel in the tank. I, too, have no problem with making responsible labor-saving shortcuts like any real railroad out there. Will there be enough to get back home without dying from fuel starvation first? One of the reasons I didn't fart with caboose position at Gogama, no need to waste fuel for needless non-customer switching.