Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossing signal set in the works

Default Crossing signal set in the works

So as the title suggests, I've got a set I'm building right now. So far what I have is:

Gates: Lengths from 12' to 36' (6' increments), with US&S, Griswold, and Safetran(planned) mechanisms.

Flashers: 8x20", 12x20" and 12x24" with incandescent and LED lights of a generic design. There are also 8" Griswold flashers.

Accesories: Signs are mostly done, as are bells (a couple look a little off), and some other little things remain to be done:

Cantilevers: About half a dozen designs are done. I'll probably do a couple lengths for those, and a few others that are planned. If you have a specific type you want in the final set, let me know and I'll see what can be done.

Here's what they look like for now (click to enlarge):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lookin good. May I suggest the cantilever on the right put a crossbuck on BOTH top sides. It is rare but I have seen it done before.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.
    FranksRails Photography, LLC. -Owner/Webmaster
    fchrist16 (On most Forums)

Crossbuck shapes are separate from the cantilevers. You can put 'em wherever you want. The sample image is based on a real crossing, so I went with what they did

Got it. That's how I do it now anyway...

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.
    FranksRails Photography, LLC. -Owner/Webmaster
    fchrist16 (On most Forums)

Great stuff, Mr. Ebner. Thanks very much for you work on these, can't wait to see them.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

I do have a few suggestions:
    • Canadian versions
    • "Stop On Red Signal" signs, in both white background and black background variants, seen on all signals in Michigan
    • "Buckeye Crossbucks" used in Ohio, including the unique yield sign variant that accompanies them

Quote Originally Posted by amtrakmattburb View Post
    I do have a few suggestions:
    • Canadian versions
    • "Stop On Red Signal" signs, in both white background and black background variants, seen on all signals in Michigan
    • "Buckeye Crossbucks" used in Ohio, including the unique yield sign variant that accompanies them
    • I've got Canadian crossbucks and track signs done. I should think that would be the only difference, but I'll look into that to be sure.
    • Do you know how big the modern 'Stop on Red Signal' signs are? I think I have dimensional data on versions from the '40s or so, but that's a long time ago...
    • I have an official document from the state of Ohio regarding the Buckeye Crossbuck, giving accurate measurements and such. The hardest part there will be making a crossbuck with red letters. I might just do that as part of a rebuild of those passive crossing shapes I released a while back

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    • Do you know how big the modern 'Stop on Red Signal' signs are? I think I have dimensional data on versions from the '40s or so, but that's a long time ago...
    According to the 2011 Michigan Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, modern 'Stop on Red Signal' signs are 24 inches by 24 inches, regardless of the number of road lanes.

Just another suggestion, a short crossing are for sidewalks on the opposite side of the road arm.

Paul :-)

The set is mostly done, with just a few details left to work out. The initial set will probably be just active signal equipment. After that will come a set with passive signals and any additional stuff/updates/corrections for the active signal set.

After that will probably be some classic crossing signals. Griswolds and wigwags are well under way, and many of the parts from the modern set can be repurposed for classic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    Just another suggestion, a short crossing are for sidewalks on the opposite side of the road arm.

Paul :-)
    That could be done