Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crossing signal set in the works

I operate at a trolley museum, and at our one road crossing we have to verify that the white light is flashing, if not we have to do a stop and proceed at the crossing.

I wonder if random crossing signal failure could be added to an activity that would require a similar action i.e. stop and proceed and flagging of the crossing. Just a thought.

Jon

That might be feasible for a slow speed line, trolley or <15 mph branch but obviously on any line with a speed limit 25 mph impossible to do!

I note that in many European countries an advance crossing 'operational' signal, usually I observe a flashing yellow signal light about 1/4 mile before a controlled grade crossing.
    I don't know the exact terminology for this signal. I've observed them in cab ride videos as a wayside single yellow flashing light on a mast.

vince
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    That might be feasible for a slow speed line, trolley or <15 mph branch but obviously on any line with a speed limit 25 mph impossible to do!

I note that in many European countries an advance crossing 'operational' signal, usually I observe a flashing yellow signal light about 1/4 mile before a controlled grade crossing.
    I don't know the exact terminology for this signal. I've observed them in cab ride videos as a wayside single yellow flashing light on a mast.

vince
    The design of them varies from country to country, but most railways in Europe have such a signal. But their trains are also much easier to stop in short order than they are here. They're fairly common in parts of Asia, as well.

Closer to home, there's a lightly used branch line where there's a flashing yellow light on the equipment hut of all active crossings. Should that yellow light not be seen to flash, they must flag the crossing

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Difficult but not impossible.

Whether it was because the lights weren't observed in advance or called out by a dispatcher, I've been on UP operated Metra trains who had to stop and flag a crossing for an observed inoperative crossing gate.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Difficult but not impossible.

Whether it was because the lights weren't observed in advance or called out by a dispatcher, I've been on UP operated Metra trains who had to stop and flag a crossing for an observed inoperative crossing gate.
    Yes but what is the speed and view distance to the crossing?
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I would love to see the Griswold EM Gate Pedestal Mount Crossing Signals with wishbone gate arms in black and white stripes and red and white stripes

Quote Originally Posted by milwsteve View Post
    I would love to see the Griswold EM Gate Pedestal Mount Crossing Signals with wishbone gate arms in black and white stripes and red and white stripes
    For the umpteenth time...those exist