Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BLW/ZT passenger train west pack

Thanks, Geoff. We are on the same page. Most of the CoNO set is converted heavyweights, will also be prominently featured in the B&O set. Here is some of the head-end work I've done as I finish CoNO. Will need to do an old rider coach before I'm done

....Yep! That's exactly the sort of consist I was talking about . One of my favourite pictures is of a single box car outside a small depot at the end of a New England Branch Line. Apparently this was filled with socks, YES SOCKS, that the local mill produced exclusively for the US Military. I guess we'll always need Midwives and Undertakers and so we'll always need SOCKS? Of course the real significance is that the Military relied on the Railroads to collect this never ending demand for socks back then. Even if the Mill still survives I'm sure that the contract went to road haulage decades ago?

The parallels here in the UK have all died in my lifetime. British Rail (as it was back then) ran a "Red Star" express parcel service that meant you could have your parcel picked up by train and delivered to a Red Star collection point nearest the recipient who could pick it up at a pre-destined time. Of course Road Transport and Courier Services killed that dead very quickly. The other parallel is the carriage of mail on the Railroads and our Railways. That lasted quite a bit longer here but even that died back in 2004.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    ....Yep! That's exactly the sort of consist I was talking about . One of my favourite pictures is of a single box car outside a small depot at the end of a New England Branch Line. Apparently this was filled with socks, YES SOCKS, that the local mill produced exclusively for the US Military. I guess we'll always need Midwives and Undertakers and so we'll always need SOCKS? Of course the real significance is that the Military relied on the Railroads to collect this never ending demand for socks back then. Even if the Mill still survives I'm sure that the contract went to road haulage decades ago?

The parallels here in the UK have all died in my lifetime. British Rail (as it was back then) ran a "Red Star" express parcel service that meant you could have your parcel picked up by train and delivered to a Red Star collection point nearest the recipient who could pick it up at a pre-destined time. Of course Road Transport and Courier Services killed that dead very quickly. The other parallel is the carriage of mail on the Railroads and our Railways. That lasted quite a bit longer here but even that died back in 2004.
    My late father-in-law wrote an article for a local Springfield, MA newspaper on the Railway Express Agency. He gave me his notes, books, and one of my most prized possessions, a shipper's map of the New Haven, which I had restored and framed. It hangs above my desk here at home.

I remember one of my last New Haven trainwatching days (pre-PC), watching a Springfield line train pull into Hartford Union Station. A GP9, baggage car, coach, and another baggage car. They pulled to a stop, passengers got off, others got on, then the conductor came around and uncoupled the second baggage car, and they left. Unfortunately, I had to leave, but I wondered how long that baggage car sat on the northbound mainline!

Quote Originally Posted by rfranzosa View Post
    Sample consist from 1949 - recreation, car names and numbers representational

I found your post fascinating, Rick. I stand corrected on my post. I would never had guessed about run through coaches showing up pre Amtrak.
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

There was a fad for run-through Pullman car lines in the decade after World War 2. The Pennsylvania Railroad even ran a train called the Penn-Texas to bring Pullman cars originating at points in Texas from St. Louis to New York. There were through New York Central and Pennsylvania Railroad Pullman car lines on the Santa Fe Chief to Los Angeles and on the California Zephyr to Oakland, among others. But the PRR and B&O Pullman car lines through St. Louis to Texas were generally more successful than the coast-to-coast lines.

Quote Originally Posted by dcarleton View Post
    There was a fad for run-through Pullman car lines in the decade after World War 2. The Pennsylvania Railroad even ran a train called the Penn-Texas to bring Pullman cars originating at points in Texas from St. Louis to New York. There were through New York Central and Pennsylvania Railroad Pullman car lines on the Santa Fe Chief to Los Angeles and on the California Zephyr to Oakland, among others. But the PRR and B&O Pullman car lines through St. Louis to Texas were generally more successful than the coast-to-coast lines.
    The other way lines handled this was to have cars painted for a specific road/train. In my 'back burnered' group is the 1950 Crescent Limited with stainless cars in Southern font lettered for Pennsy, L&N, A&WP as well as Southern. Years ago I released a PRR sleeper painted for the MoPac Eagle and an L&N sleeper painted for PRR.

Quote Originally Posted by rfranzosa View Post
    The other way lines handled this was to have cars painted for a specific road/train. In my 'back burnered' group is the 1950 Crescent Limited with stainless cars in Southern font lettered for Pennsy, L&N, A&WP as well as Southern. Years ago I released a PRR sleeper painted for the MoPac Eagle and an L&N sleeper painted for PRR.
    I know of at least one sleeper car, the "Silver Rapids" on the California Zephyr that was owned by the PRR and had the small reporting mark plates that said PRR by the vestibule. It was a 10-6 sleeper and identical to all other Cal Zephyr cars except it was owned by the PRR and not the Burlington, Rio Grande, or WP.
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footsteps on the moon..

--Josh--

Quote Originally Posted by scfe_fan View Post
    I know of at least one sleeper car, the "Silver Rapids" on the California Zephyr that was owned by the PRR and had the small reporting mark plates that said PRR by the vestibule. It was a 10-6 sleeper and identical to all other Cal Zephyr cars except it was owned by the PRR and not the Burlington, Rio Grande, or WP.
    Actually, make that 'nearly' identical to the other CZ cars. I don't know what the differences were, but the PRR car was built to plan 9520 whilst the Q, DRGW and WP 10/6s were built to plan 9509. The Silver Rapids name combined the Q inspired Silver with the Rapids names given to Pennsy 10/6s when built (some got renamed for prominent Pittsburgh businessmen later).

Pennsy had sleepers in CZ, Santa Fe (Pullman two tone grey), UP (two tone grey then Armour Yellow) Rock Island/SP (two tone grey then Red/Silver), ACL, SAL, Southern, Frisco and Mopac schemes for through services. Some of these only lasted one or two summer seasons, though.

I am sure that somewhere I have seen a photo of a Norfolk and Western car painted in Armour Yellow as well.

On an only slightly related note, when the Olympian Hi Skytops were in the shops, Pennsy streamlined observations were hired in to cover. I have no idea whether they were repainted for these duties.

It all boils down to "never say never"!
    Last edited by Keystoneaholic; 03-03-2020 at 10:53 AM.
    onen hag oll!

Currently I am actively studying history of American passenger trains. PRR, B&O and NYC used their sleeping cars in direct transcontinental traffic with western railroads, according to Wikipedia most longest route of sleeping car was B&O sleeper from Washington DC to San Diego via ATSF Super Chief, however in late 1950s this practice has been discontinued. I know about decadence of North American railway passenger service in 1960s (because of which in 1971 was created Amtrak and then VIA Rail in Canada), but main transcontinental passenger trains still continued to exist, why "coast-to-coast" sleeping cars have disappeared? I think from big cities like New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC has always been a large passenger flow to West Coast, or at such great distances railways could no longer compete with airlines?

I am sure that somewhere I have seen a photo of a Norfolk and Western car painted in Armour Yellow as well.
    I would also like to know more information about it, I only know about N&W passenger trains between Norfolk and Cincinnati (and Southern Railways trains, which used N&W tracks), if N&W cars could run in UP trains, by what railway could be used for transportation of N&W sleepers from Cincinnatti to Chicago?

I only heard about "coast-to-coast" sleeping cars of NYC, PRR, B&O and Southern Railway, what other eastern railroads used this practice? What about Erie and C&O? Would it be appropriate if were cars from Florida to California (like Amtrak Sunset Limited in 1990s) or cars from Eastern Canada to California (for example CN sleeping cars from Toronto to Chicago by GT tracks and then from Chicago to Los Angeles by ATSF or UP)?
    Vladislav

The N & W Armour Yellow car would have been ex-Wabash.