Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what is the Toolsupdate and is it required?

Default what is the Toolsupdate and is it required?

Hi
    just a little question, i got teh Peak Line DVD and its great and has also a folder with all the necessary files for getting msts running right - one of them though i dont know anything about and havent found any information on it - the Toolsupdate.exe program - is this needed at all? can someone just let me know please what it is and does?

thanks

Since you have expressed your interest in the antiquarian aspects of this hobby, you should acquaint yourself with this web site:

https://msts.steam4me.net/index.html -- Answers to Most questions about "MSTS" can be found here, if one looks.

and >>> specifically this page may hold answers for you >>> https://msts.steam4me.net/MSTS_Updates/

Happy hunting the antiquities.

give me a ring when you find something oldphone.jpg

Sincerely, from one geezer to another.ear trumpet.jpeg

HatTip.jpg

P.s. -- the best of all --- Steam4ME is an Aussie site! -- but you already knew that.
    Apologies...just me being obstreperous, getting the blood to flow in the morning.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 02-24-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Everyone keeps pointing out to me that the things I am interested in re MSTS are old and obselete ,but I don't want to avoid the older stuff nor should I feel I have to - Msts is old I get it, but this is an msts forum and there are hundreds of add-ons one can buy still from eBay or medimops etc and they are a helluva lot cheaper than add-ons for TS2020. Sometimes it feels more like I am just being dissuaded from playing Msts here more than encouraged.
    I can't go back in time and enjoy Msts in its heyday but it still runs now and I like the pre-made add-ons for it, I am not inclined to make my own routes and activity editor is a bit of a chore with it crashing so often on me.

I know everyone is running OR now and I am bad because I am not explicitly only using OR. OR is nice and there is a lot to like about it, but it still feels like to me that unless I am an actual train driver, alot of its subtle train handling details are not apparent to me and I feel too stupid to ask more even when I can't find the answer clearly in the or manual

Quote Originally Posted by Heruraha93 View Post
    Everyone keeps pointing out to me that the things I am interested in re MSTS are old and obselete ,but I don't want to avoid the older stuff nor should I feel I have to - Msts is old I get it, but this is an msts forum and there are hundreds of add-ons one can buy still from eBay or medimops etc and they are a helluva lot cheaper than add-ons for TS2020. Sometimes it feels more like I am just being dissuaded from playing Msts here more than encouraged.
    I can't go back in time and enjoy Msts in its heyday but it still runs now and I like the pre-made add-ons for it, I am not inclined to make my own routes and activity editor is a bit of a chore with it crashing so often on me.

I know everyone is running OR now and I am bad because I am not explicitly only using OR. OR is nice and there is a lot to like about it, but it still feels like to me that unless I am an actual train driver, alot of its subtle train handling details are not apparent to me and I feel too stupid to ask more even when I can't find the answer clearly in the or manual
    Mon-O-Man, am I sorry I thoughtlessly poked a little fun at you...OWN IT...you love the old stuff...Wonderful, have a ball, enjoy yourself, that's what hobbies are for...but almost all of the problems or questions you pose..have been asked and answered many many times in these forums. I was just suggesting doing some research yourself. So, go ahead, if it pleases you, keep asking the questions.
    Really, who am I to say anything, I'm barely sentient about most of this stuff.
    I just thought I'd poke the bear a bit...and it bit back...I can't blame the bear for that.
    Just how old is that bear suit you are wearing - smell like mothballs? See I bearly can contain myself.

Regards, Gerry
    Last edited by R. Steele; 02-24-2020 at 06:12 PM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Hi Gerry, sorry what you wrote was fine, i was just getting carried away and a bit in my own head - i just get anxious trying to get things running right with msts as i have had to go through a number of reinstalls and making multiple versions of it. i do like the old stuff - its not something i can rationally explain other than i enjoyed old graphics and the old elements of games and sims even that make them well game-like.
    I like to ask questions too, even if the answer i get is just a direction as to where i need to look. i didnt think of stream4me to be the place to check in this instance, but will from now on

i guess i was just mainly still thinking about another response i got for something and the indication that i am going after all the really old stuff for msts - but to me, isnt it all old stuff? what exactly is the latest msts stuff that people would prefer i ask about? alot of the full route packages happen to be from a while ago, i cant really get around that temporal limitation sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Heruraha93 View Post
    Hi Gerry, sorry what you wrote was fine, i was just getting carried away and a bit in my own head - i just get anxious trying to get things running right with msts as i have had to go through a number of reinstalls and making multiple versions of it. i do like the old stuff - its not something i can rationally explain other than i enjoyed old graphics and the old elements of games and sims even that make them well game-like.
    I like to ask questions too, even if the answer i get is just a direction as to where i need to look. i didnt think of stream4me to be the place to check in this instance, but will from now on

i guess i was just mainly still thinking about another response i got for something and the indication that i am going after all the really old stuff for msts - but to me, isnt it all old stuff? what exactly is the latest msts stuff that people would prefer i ask about? alot of the full route packages happen to be from a while ago, i cant really get around that temporal limitation sadly.
    Remember space invaders? I found a pc desktop version of that, had to go through some setup maneuvers to get it to work, I love that old space shoot-em up...go figure. I should have just kept my wise-arse mouth shut and just provided the Steam4Me site...really that's the first place I would go when I first discovered my old ( still brand-new and wrapped ) CD's of MSTS Train Simulator in some computer junk I found in the basement -- had forgotten all about. That was in 2013...shortly joined here and at ELvas Tower. I also asked quite a few questions...but OR had only been in development for about 3 years so it was a much different program just seven years ago.

Anyway...have fun, ignore trolls, like myself, who popup and ruin your good day.
    There are no stupid questions! not when you're trying to learn.
    You know, what you could do---ask which of the older MSTS payware routes ( usually they came with equipment and were designed with MSTS in mind ) people would still recommend buying..much of that stuff is still for sale.
    ...and there are routes and equipment to be found at Steam4Me.
    Cheers, Gerry

Just because MSTS will never be allowed to die in the minds of a few, including a website owner who still gives it top billing, does not mean the bulk of the remaining user base here still traffics in MSTS (knowledge) goods.

There are a few people on here with ideological bents against many of the successor platforms, people who might view assisting you to be a good use of their time, but they do get rather sleepy in the back room and seldom show up during moments of critical need.

thanks Gerry

i dont have any ideological bent against other new programs myself - i just havent gotten round to them all yet - i have been playing a bit of the older Trainz games too and i quite like those - Trainz 2006 and Trainz 2010 in particular, and the EEP model railway sims too - i know they arent sims, but they are quite nice to play around with too

Hi Heruraha93,
    May I just add my twopennyworth?
    Open Rails is great and the Team are doing a wonderful job, improving what we have with MSTS.
    For myself, I still prefer running with MSTS - it seems to have a better 'feeling', but I can't explain it! There will always be people who criticise us for being dinosaurs but, as Gerry has said, it's our hobby and we can pursue whatever 'branch' of it we like. I'm sure there will be members here who can answer your questions regarding MSTS for a long time yet. I've written several utilities for use with MSTS (blatant plug here - which are available from the library) but, to my shame, I haven't updated them (yet) to include the new OpenRails folder hierarchy. I'm sure you have now found the answer to your original query about 'toolsupdate' but, if not, and if your CDs of MSTS install v1.2, you don't need it.

Cheers,
    Ged

thanks - oh okay i didnt know the update was unnecessary for patch msts versions that is good to know - i ended up just unpacking the exe to a folder and checking its readme file.

I have been looking over at Steam4me tonight to look for some error message explanations - i have got the Peak Line installed and also now Peak Rail - for Peak Line however i got a couple errors regarding some items in the route - at Matlock station that could not be loaded - chairs and some other items. The game fortunately did not crash despite these error messages and the obvious absence of some objects. I dont know how one fixes this - do i take a note of the items and check if there are on file?

another stranger error was that on an activity i got a message stating that the train route was no longer current and so i need to go into AE and save it again? should i just do that? i am afraid of AE a bit. the actual message was in german as i have a german installation of msts "Die Zugstrecke XXXX ist nicht mehr aktuell.." -so i dont know what the exact english wording for this error is, just my translation.

again unfortunately the error is not covered in the explanations over at Steam4me