Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what is the Toolsupdate and is it required?

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    There will always be people who criticise us for being dinosaurs

In reality, the users of other platforms are usually just the first people to show up. And that is because the old majority knowledge base is now the new boutique minority knowledge base.

This whole support process operates under the premise that responders must believe that answering questions is still a good use of their time. If people want to stroll down obsolete software lane, they most certainly are free to do so, but good luck expecting instant help in a pinch from others who would still see that as a wise investment of their time. In many cases, the opportunity to proselytize, which does frustrate some, is the only aspect that makes assisting others who are pursuing older software worthy of their time.

Speaking for myself, I usually draw a line when people have issues with older hardware or unsuitable-for-gaming laptops. I generally feel it is not a wise investment of my time if they can't invest in proper gaming hardware. What their mobility needs are is not my concern. As users who are generally willing to help, we all do have our individual cut-off points. Because we are human beings with priorities who prioritize.

Hi,
    geepster775 is quite right in that we each decide which queries we want to try to help with. For myself, I'm quite happy answering questions regarding 'ancient' routes and stock, particularly if I already have the item/s! I DO get fed up (could use a ruder term!) when members ask questions which have already been answered many times in the Forum over the years, but, on the other hand, knowing exactly what to put in the Forum search box can be a problem, especially for newcomers!

Regarding your Peak Rail and Peak Line problems, as I have both routes, I may be able to help, but suggest you use either PM or email - if the latter, please give me your email address via PM (it's not good practice to post it in an open Forum like this!!).

Cheers,
    Ged

Thanks Ged, i will pm you if I need to, but now I am just trying to figure out route riter as I got some freight activities for the NSW great Southern mainline and after collecting all the required files I am getting the dreaded train database error - I am following the fuide on the steam4me site, though it doesn't tell me how I actually fix some of the errors it has flagged, such as shape file errors

Hi Heruraha93,
    The 'train database' errors usually mean that the activity you selected requires some stock you haven't installed. An exception being that if the message also includes a line number, it's a fair bet that the stock is present but requires you to have installed the MSTSBin patch. Shape errors are a different matter - the first check is to make sure they are actually missing by looking in the relevant stock folder.

Cheers,
    Ged

theres no line numbers, i do have the bin patch installed, it must be msising stock, - related to what i need to get for the activities, route riter i hope will let me know exactly what the stock is

Quote Originally Posted by Heruraha93 View Post
    theres no line numbers, i do have the bin patch installed, it must be msising stock, - related to what i need to get for the activities, route riter i hope will let me know exactly what the stock is
    Forget about RouteRiter for activity checking...there is something MUCH better...Ged (slipperman) mentioned his utilities...they are really easy to use and indispensible for error checking, activities, cabviews, sound files, and more.
    msts_actman.zip --- checks for stock in activities --- plus more

msts_check.zip --- checks cabviews and sound files

apkex-v3-07.zip ---- unpacks msts apk ( packaged activity files ) or converts them into zip files...very handy.

I still use route riter for checking routes, but that's about all.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

okay thanks, i will use them if they are easier -

Hi Gerry,
    Many thanks for the plug, yet again, mate

I'm pleased to see that the download counts for my utilities keep increasing. I get very little feedback, negative or positive (except for yours, of course!), which I take to be a "good thing" as people usually only report when something is wrong!! That being said, I'm still open to any suggested improvements to my utilities, except any involving the OpenRails folder and its 'include' files, which are not currently on my to-do list, but possibly will be in the future.

Cheers,
    Ged

i am using it now and it is relatively easy to use thankfully - the activity checker that is.

I just though now am wondering what i need to do to fix the identified error:

MSTS_ActMan v3.1 - Report No. 1 - 27/02/2020 2:01:13 AM

Installation : <D:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Train Simulator>

Route : <AU_NSW_SouthernMain (AU NSW Southern Mainline)>

Activity : <Wheat Up>

Check the specified Activity for the selected Route
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Missing Stock Item : AU_nswBKF\BKF-load1.wag from Consist : AU_NSW_8029_8048_50_car_full.con
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Missing Stock Item : AU_nswBKF\BKF-load2.wag from Consist : AU_NSW_8029_8048_50_car_full.con
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Missing Stock Item : AU_nswBKF\BKF-empty.wag from Consist : AU_NSW_Southern_Aurora_1.con
    >>>> End of Report

the folder is there but in the folder the files are

BKF-1-LOAD1.WAG
    BKF-1-LOAD2.WAG
    bkf-1-empty.wag

do i change the file names or do i change the consist entries? if i change just the wag file names do i have to change anything else? that could upset other activities though? so i should just alter the consist entries, - is that just a case of find and replace every instance?

i have no done this and it seems to have cleared the errors, though thre are some others i didnt catch before but i can fix the same way! woo hoo