Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rogers Pass mystery

If the spikes run in lines, they're usually along lat/lon lines. Some elevation data has features like that for some reason. My trick was to place a 10m track piece across the spike and then hit the F key to form the terrain to the track piece. I then delete the piece as it's served its purpose

Thanks I'll give it a shot...

Thank you Goku for the instructions.

I made a copy of my Kicking Horse Pass route, fired up OR and ran a train on it to confirm it works. Using your instructions I was able to get rid of a spike in the route. Once the spike was flattened I pressed F2 to get out of the editing mode and then I saved my changes. I tried running the same train on the changed route in OR and got the following message:

"Open Rails detected a track section which is not present in Tsection.dat and cannot continue. Most likely you don't have Xtracks or Ytracks version needed for this route"

Is there something else I need to do before saving the route?

Thanks

Bert

Edit - in Settings.txt I changed writeTDB to false, re-edited my route to flatten out the spike, saved the route and ran it sucessfully in OR

Now to try that spike outside of Revelstoke on Roger's Pass
    Last edited by bertwise; 02-26-2020 at 06:37 PM.

Cannot get it to work. The terrain around the spike will lower or raise ( if I choose flatten instead of fixed height ), so far no success. Did not even think about placing a 10m piece of track...where to you place it? at the base of the spike, in the spike???
    Thank goodness in the settings I already had write to TDB set as false.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Got rid of 2 spikes in Rogers Pass - one just east of Revelstoke, the other around Flat Creek (mile 92 approx.).

I angled the camera view so there was only sky behind the spike. Then, using Fixed Height, I was able to click on the spike and get it to eventually flatten out (lots of mouse clicks) without affecting the terrain around the spike very much. I now have a couple of floating trees but I'll take that over the huge spike.

Thanks for the help and Gerry, I hope you get it figured out.

Bert

Thanks for all the help... I'll get this thing figured out. Trial and error as they say. Have yet to destroy the route...

Quote Originally Posted by bertwise View Post
    Got rid of 2 spikes in Rogers Pass - one just east of Revelstoke, the other around Flat Creek (mile 92 approx.).

I angled the camera view so there was only sky behind the spike. Then, using Fixed Height, I was able to click on the spike and get it to eventually flatten out (lots of mouse clicks) without affecting the terrain around the spike very much. I now have a couple of floating trees but I'll take that over the huge spike.

Thanks for the help and Gerry, I hope you get it figured out.

Bert
    >>>my emphasis

Finally got it done...
    Thanks Bert, you gave me the final clue...I thought all you had to do was click the mouse "around the spike" ... save and that was it. MULTIPLE clicks you said, DUH -- forehead slap on my part...watched it disappear. Cool...deepens my respect for route creators. Thanks for the help.
    Is this process similiar to the one that is used to fix floating vegetation?
    Last edited by R. Steele; 02-26-2020 at 11:02 PM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Just used Autopilot speeding through the KHP route, looking for another spike, I couldn't find any. But it did convince me that both of these major Canadian Routes really need a new OR version. Maybe someday, someone will do them again, they deserve it.

In Kicking Horse Pass it's not a spike like in Roger's Pass, more like a grey wall in the distance in the area around Banff. I fixed one north of the tracks east of Banff. There are a couple more in that area as well as some south west of Banff that I still need to fix. It's strange because I don't always see them when I'm in that area. It depends on the camera direction I guess.

Bert

No more spikes, got them taken care of thanks to you kind folks... much appreciated!!!