Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Silly/Stupid Errors/Mistakes

  1. #1

    Default Silly/Stupid Errors/Mistakes

    Greetings fellow Conductors, Engineers, and Engines and Cabooses of the Trainsim.com Railroad!

    I've been playing Open Rails since 2013, but I've discovered an error with one of 3DTS's Donner Pass Consists.
    There is a freight train consists with a 2-8-0 Consolidation head-end helper, a Cab Forward Mallet Road Engine WITHOUT A TENDER, multiple hoppers and gondolas filled with gravel, a Cab Forward Mallet rear-end helper, and a little red caboose.
    Why the heck does the Cab Forward have no tender?

    Heck, the boiler, firebox, and tender make up the tri-force of the steam locomotive.
    Take a look at this video for proof.


    If you have this addon, could you check yours? I'll check mine right now.
    LONG LIVE BNSF 8010!
    ALL HAIL MSTS!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    4,409

    Default

    The title of this thread is SOOOOOOOO appropriate.

    We could help a whole lot easier, if you had told us the file name of the consist.
    Charles

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    The title of this thread is SOOOOOOOO appropriate.

    We could help a whole lot easier, if you had told us the file name of the consist.
    INDEED! Not much to go on without the name of the con file. And regardless if its a 3DTS error on the consist, you can use either the MSTS editors or the OR/Goku editors to add your tender and fix it! Heck, you could even change out the entire consist if you wished.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Carolina's
    Posts
    2,753

    Default

    There is several oddities in the 3DTS packages.

    The most annoying of which is the physics on the cab forwards in the Tech Loop addons. You can't really enjoy the activities because the locomotives don't perform at all. Sadly there was never a patch for the older versions of these activities. I don't know if this was fixed when they switched to digital delivery? The issue affects the CD versions.

    Robert

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Worksop, UK
    Posts
    2,036

    Default

    Hi,
    The consist is 3DTS_DP1_SP_CF-4242_DRAG-TRAIN.con and there is at least one other consist with the same 'error'. Just add the wagon 3DTS_CabForward_4242_Tender after the 3DTS_CabForward_4242_Rear engine entry.

    Isn't it strange that nobody has reported this problem in about 15 years??!! Or, have they??

    Cheers,
    Ged

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi,
    The consist is 3DTS_DP1_SP_CF-4242_DRAG-TRAIN.con and there is at least one other consist with the same 'error'. Just add the wagon 3DTS_CabForward_4242_Tender after the 3DTS_CabForward_4242_Rear engine entry.

    Isn't it strange that nobody has reported this problem in about 15 years??!! Or, have they??

    Cheers,
    Ged
    Dang it, what the heck! Seriously, there is second consist 3DTS_DP1_SP_CF-4242_DRAGTRAIN which is the file that 3DTS_DP1_SP_CF-4242_DRAG-TRAIN was developed from and neither of them have a tender behind the cab-forward mallet road engine!
    It's really annoying they did it twice without noticing the mistake.
    Sadly, you expect more than payware, because they've done such darn good work they deserve to be payed for it, so you expect less mistakes than you would with freeware.
    LONG LIVE BNSF 8010!
    ALL HAIL MSTS!

  7. #7

    Default

    and don't worry, sir. You're not the only one. I believe they've mentioned it in the comments of an At The Railyard review.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU0mD2fSh4c
    LONG LIVE BNSF 8010!
    ALL HAIL MSTS!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    There is several oddities in the 3DTS packages.

    The most annoying of which is the physics on the cab forwards in the Tech Loop addons. You can't really enjoy the activities because the locomotives don't perform at all. Sadly there was never a patch for the older versions of these activities. I don't know if this was fixed when they switched to digital delivery? The issue affects the CD versions.

    Robert
    Unfortunately, it never was fixed. I found this out when I first ran the Vintage Trains addon for the Tehachapi route, only to find that the CF's didn't function the same way as those from the Donner Pass route. I was able to fix this by copying crucial physics data from the Donner CF's to the Tehacahpi's, but you'd think the 3DTS team would've notice this before discontinuing MSTS products entirely.

    In any case, these values should help make the Tehachapi CF's usable for anyone who may not have solved this issue yet:

    [front]

    Size ( 2.42m 5.101m 13.4m )
    CentreOfGravity ( 0m 2.9m 0m )
    MaxTilt ( 1 )
    Centre ( 0m 0m 0m )
    Mass ( 242t )
    InertiaTensor ( Box (2.42m 5.101m 13.4m) )

    Type ( Steam )
    MaxPower ( 4475kw )
    MaxForce ( 553kN )
    MaxVelocity ( 60mph )
    WheelRadius ( 31.5in )
    Sanding ( 80mph )
    comment( infinate sanding time )
    MaxSandingTime( -1 )

    NumWheels ( 3 )
    BoilerLength ( 6.2m )
    BoilerVolume ( 300 )
    BoilerEffectivity ( 1.0 )
    DraftingEffect ( 1.0 )
    BoilerResponsiveness ( 1.2 )
    CoalBurnage ( 3.0lb/hp/h )
    MaxBoilerOutput ( 87000lb/h )
    NumCylinders ( 4 )
    CylinderStroke ( 32in )
    CylinderDiameter ( 24in )
    CylinderVolume ( 33.52 )
    CylinderEffectivity ( 1.0 )

    [rear]

    Adheasion ( 0.25 0.25 2 0)
    AntiSlip ( 1 )
    DerailRailHeight ( 4cm )
    DerailRailForce ( 407.62kN )
    DerailBufferForce ( 427kN )
    WheelRadius ( 16.5in )
    NumWheels ( 1 )


    Not all the values in each block have been changed, of course. I just felt it's more convenient to copy/paste them than to individually track down each needed value.

  9. #9

    Default

    ..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •