Thread: Milwaukee - New - Oliver2

Default Milwaukee - New - Oliver2

I am running another "explore activity" and at the Plummer East End where the station sits has "Reds" on all tracks! This was/is not a situation where two signal shapes can be swapped, the ORTS Track Monitor shows a Green Indication, so I carry on as usual. BTW, the Semaphore shows an "All Green" indication.

Just wanted to let you know. Junctions can be a pain, I wish I knew enough about the system details to help correct them.

The semaphore, I guess you refer to, is the train order signal at the station which normally does show
    an all green indication. It is more like a passive signal. In days of old, at least on the L&N Railroad
    (my #1 favorite, Milwaukee Road is my #2) green would mean that no orders were to be picked
    up so a train would pass at track speed. If it showed yellow (amber) it would mean to slow for a
    pickup of "19" orders - form 19 orders did not need to be signed for so were hooped up on the fly.
    And if red, it would mean that the train must stop, engineer & conductor will enter the station and
    sign for "31" orders. Form 31 required a signature from those crew members.

In my collection, given to me many times by my Uncle who was a engineer on the L&N, I have a
    31 order that directs the engineer to disregard block signals on about 15 miles of line near
    Park City, KY and proceed on signal indication from new CTC signals. CTC was installed on the
    line in 1954. So when the Pan American #98, his regular run, made the normal station stop at
    Bowling Green, KY he would have gone into the station and signed for this 31 order along with his
    conductor.

Railroading was, and is, a peculiar profession. Good railroads are run like military commands
    because you have crews out there, moving heavy equipment, with little or no local supervision,
    so a degree of honesty & sobriety beyond any other profession except maybe airline pilots is
    required.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

I'll check what's going on there. But first I have to ask: did You run the sim in "Explore in activity mode"? When choosing the default exploring, red signals happen sometimes. Activity explore solves this.

Quote Originally Posted by oliver2 View Post
    I'll check what's going on there. But first I have to ask: did You run the sim in "Explore in activity mode"? When choosing the default exploring, red signals happen sometimes. Activity explore solves this.
    Yes I am using the "Explore in activity mode" selection. I came to this "main intersection" and thought it was just a matter of swapping the signal shapes, like previous ones. In this case there were NO Greens to swap. The Dual Head Signals are Red top and bottom and all the single head ones are Red as well.
    The Track Monitor shows a full Green, but 20 mph through here. The Semaphore in front of the Station is showing Green.

I just thought I would let you know. That is the only issue I ran into on this part of the run to Othello. The other signals that I swapped are working just fine and indication correctly.

BTW, Mr. Sullivan that is a nice story.
    I like to hear about these things, I worked at CNR here in various capacities in my youth. Thank You.