Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The elephant in the room?

It's ok as long as it is BG, Bruce.

I mean proper BG, not that pretend Australian track.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    You're getting off track again.
    lol... Sorry goon, failed to reference the elephant.

I see plenty of threads go off the track, but who's counting

Perhaps this should be locked before we start talking about other continents.

Thanks

Sean

Trying to keep on track, rereading the title. I just took in a sales flyer looks like Wallyworld's having a "white elephant sale", huge savings, least that's what they printed. Anyways, all in good fun, not so sure what the big deal is, least sharing of the minds within R8 area of TrainSim.

Originally Posted by SMRY

in the end though, what's the point
    Yeah! that about sums it up perfectly.

It must be a bloody big room with all these elephants, in it.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by SMRY View Post
    Anyways, not sure of the "point taken".
    Point taken re: typing speed and trying to keep up with communicating and driving simultaneously, and how voice chat is useful in that respect.

It's very useful. Just have to wait for the "Hi Curly", "Hi Larry", "Hi Moe" communication to end and I'm sure it will get through Seriously if it was used properly then yes it's a great tool. A server can have whatever rules it wants to enforce. I'm more about options, but as a dispatcher understand the difficulty of having to cater to two different forms of communication. That in itself is not prototypical. Neither is hearing everyone on one channel. If the channels are enforced similar to the prototype then the experience is much better. But I've seen even one TS channel devoted to a certain region get hijacked by all kinds of crap.

In fact I was listening to a conversation IRL London, Ontario where a similar bull session was taking place. They were on the yard channel and talking about a stay dog. Said something about don't bite my brakeman. You can get away with this if your the only ones in the yard, and short and sweet on the mainlines as well. The difference here is the actual range of travel. The minute someone starts toning the dispatcher those conversations end quickly.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    So I recently came across something that may explain some of the issues I was having with Waycross where others were not. The issue seems to stem from servers or computers above minimum requirements but not powerful enough to run larger area of AI and industries.

See what I did in Waycross was made the issue worse. Something I could get away with in Barstow. That is I use dummy tracks for all the bowls so that I get reports of what is in the bowl, receiving, etc. and can export the data to Google Sheets. This I'm being told by those that have tested similar things on their server or even in single player wind up resulting in issues with AI disappearing, humps that go down the wrong track etc. Where as Barstow due to limited tracks is not an issue.

So here is the elephant I'm talking about and just putting it out there, because with the issue of course I have at least a short term solution. If too much AI or industries in a region are causing issues why not go with smaller regions? I know this game engine is old and no longer supported. I'm not sure if V3 is being developed in it (I hope not for their sake). But going for a smaller region that is limited in scope may be a win win for Run8 and some customers.

The small fish and single players like myself have a world that may not be a transcon but have plenty of action to keep it interesting. In fact the TSW Oakville Sub just released if done right would of worked PERFECT in Run8 in my opinion.

Any smaller region I would be happy to shell out some money to check out. Not that I don't enjoy all the regions I have, but running them gets to be very difficult.

Anyways my 2 cents. Tonight for those having issues there is a work around. I'm going to have a live stream at about 6pm tonight on my channel where I clean up the industry database for a smaller operation. I tried doing it last night but I was tired. Today I have much more energy so hopefully I can be more focused.

Thanks

Sean
    If anyone was having issues with Rice Yard, no one emailed me about it at all, I know some people were wondering about the sluff track and if it could be changed, but it's hardcoded to the one in real life, Eventually, I would like to see dual hump operations as well but in real life, it's rarely done anymore, when I built Waycross and I mean Rice Yard exclusively I had the good fortune to have the Former Division Superintendent of Waycross assist me in the building process, so From an official CSX Standpoint, it is spot on.

as far as size of routes we tend to go by subdivision between major yards, mostly my logic for doing this has been to have a starting point on either end as opposed to starting in the middle of nowhere, and for $40 for 200 miles I felt that was a pretty good value for the money, and yes we do primarily focus on multiplayer, I had the privilege to run on the Depot+ crew caller session yesterday and it was a blast with close to 30-40 online running trains and working the yard and the hump worked flawlessly

anyway you guys know how to get ahold of me, I rarely get on forums between driving and working on the route, but I do answer the tech support mails when they come in.

as for making Waycross the prototypical size, I wanted to see if it could be done and if it would work, and it did :P
    Jason Webb
    HyRail Simulations
    https://www.hyrailsimulations.net

Well that probably means that the issues were likely mine, which is why I didn't want to bother and just put it out there and see if others came across it. I liked using the industries to track what was in them and 68 tracks or whatever the number is was something that a few friends in Run8 said they felt was the likely issue even in smaller yards and worlds. It was a tracking method for me.

As for the supply and demand of what I'm looking for, I'm quite happy in building something for myself in something else now. I understand I'm not part of the majority, which is why it looks like most are happier now finding what is right for them.

Despite using other products, I stand by my statement of Run8 being the best train simulator on the planet. For me I just found something that is best for me and is very enjoyable.

Take care.

Sean