Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The elephant in the room?

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Rivet boys, rivet counter.
    Well, that's what I immediately assumed but then thought well, maybe Sean knows of a term "divot boys" that's associated with model trains.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Brad3816 View Post
    Thing is, Depot+ server participation is very much alive.....
    I wasn't implying that it wasn't, Brad.
    My point was/is that the multiplayer aspect is not as popular as it may have been considered it would be back when Run 8 v1 was under development.
    Even in this second decade of the century there is still a large *demand for single-player games as alternatives to MMOs or even SMOs (small multiplayer on-line).

Bethesda certainly found out the hard way with Fallout76.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Originally Posted by Brad3816

Thing is, Depot+ server participation is very much alive. Any given time there are at least two or three, but mostly double digit participation between the three regions. The sessions are robust and great fun. There is a purpose for every movement and always a variety of work to be done, including dispatching
    Yes Depot+ server is doing very well and continues to grow. I have not become a member yet, but the forums are interesting to read with a lot of help full people advising newbies to get good at single player before taking on multiplayer and then helping them during multiplayer sessions. There's been a bit of a discussion among a few guys over there who are capable of programming to create a new AI dispatcher program, should be interesting to see if it develops into anything.

James

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Well, that's what I immediately assumed but then thought well, maybe Sean knows of a term "divot boys" that's associated with model trains.
    Hahahahahahaha, Sean makes it up as he goes along.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Hahahahahahaha, Sean makes it up as he goes along.

Mike.
    Yeah......I'd overlooked the fact that he's Canadian.

( Joking, Sean.)

Hehehehehehe, top man our Sean.

At least on ts.com we can have a bit of a giggle, Bruce.

Unlike some forums.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Opps you got it my bad. As a proto guy I never paid attention to those things. In fact unlike most proto guys I can't tell you what engine is what these days as many look alike. I remember what a GP and SD is but that is just counting the axles. Some of the older numbers like GP7, 9, SD40. Never really cared that much about the details of the cars themselves, other than what they were carrying (If I could see it). Tank cars I don't have a clue unless it has a stencil telling me. Then I may not even know if it's a load or an empty.

As for Depot I know many who say it's not as strong as it once was. But let's say 10 people over 3 server most nights? Much better average than I ever had. But there used to be 10 servers advertised with slightly lower numbers and say 1 big one. The choices are now between a couple big servers, or wait for some of the other servers to have operating nights.

CA for example if operating prototypically should have at least 3 dispatchers, but prototypically run with I believe 4. Even with that participation across 24 hours your probably lucky to have a full day operation (all the movements and industries run in a week or two). The rest is just eye candy operations of trains to move out of the way for.

Now take away all those locals that would mess up your traffic patterns and suddenly you get a picture that is not quite as real as it gets. It's the best your going to get, and that is not a knock against Depot because they are doing the best they can and are by far the strongest player. I was part of a server that had similar numbers of 8 to 12 people running and I suppose my server averaged 6 to 8 before some of these expansions. But those servers though 24/7 had organized sessions.

Before the expansion of Bakersfield, LA, & Seligman it was much more realistic to run California. That's because you could run with 2 dispatchers and the majority of locals were being covered within the time you operated. We ran full schedules that was 100% prototypical levels and had enough people to cover it.

I know there was an announcement of a session recently and that was the first time I've seen an announced session on a forum in a long time. Other than say Southwest Rail Sims and Southeast Rail Sims servers (which aren't advertised any place) here I'll give them a plug.
    http://southwestrailsim.freeforums.net/ currently down but should be returning shortly
    The southeast I haven't been on so don't have the link off hand.
    They are 24/7 that allow locals to be run on a stop clock. Then have regular session nights through the week where dispatchers gather and move the traffic so people know etc. Even those sessions as mentioned rarely top 10 people and are probably lower now.

If 30 people across 3 servers is typical, I remember when there was easily 100 across 10 on average. The biggest easily double digits and could peak at around 30. Some like mine had high single digits in prime hours reaching low double digits from time to time. So despite a popular server or two out there I'd say only 50 people are running MP at any given time in max peak hours (and that is being generous).

If a server could get 10 in the past it operated very prototypically because the regions were smaller. Now it's a struggle in the SW, the NE is not as popular, and the SE has quite a bit of operational overhead as well despite being a smaller region.

Anyways not a knock against Run8 or any server. That is how people choose to run (or perhaps Run8 is not as popular as it once was). As I said before this program has given me years of entertainment and I got my money's worth a long time ago.

Thanks

Sean

I believe many hang at D+ due to the team hanging their hat there many-ah-days. Not trying to stir the kettle black, has me thinking arse-kisssers nothing more, just a hunch…. Seems many won't give other servers a go, no matter what's offered. I also feel many seem intimidated when it comes to MP, worry someone going give a rashing of grief, not having things down to the last rivet, who knows what else. SMRY pretty much dead, what few still visit, usually take info of interest head elsewhere. Now that I hang my hat most days with the folks at FTRS NY server & forums, find many visitors inside forums reading what they wish, again takeoff for greener pastures, all the while, never having taken part within the server. I spent a lifetime with the real, honestly pay little attn to every last detail, nor, wish to. Run8's still the closest to the working days, fact remains, lots of room for improvement none the less. Hell if they began fine tuning the daily life, operators would be so busy, be no need for expansion. Having done the real, catch many flaws, in those cases, got to keep an open mind, envision it being correct. Anyways, long live Run8, I'm waiting in line for more fine tuning, goodies, word, anything. Hopefully, I'll still be 5'10" topside rather than 6' under when that time comes.
    Last edited by SMRY; 03-08-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Ya know, rereading my last, the "Arse-Kissers", perhaps not the best wording, somehow, still has me feeling us & them so to speak.
    Reminds me of the real, Trainmen & Motormen. Those in the business will know what I refer to. Last time I visited another server HB8 really hit the reference home. Not a knock against MX's, but, sounded like a mini-war as they stopped with the English began rambling Spanish, anyways, the subject was all about passenger service, those trying to out do one another speed wise, etc. I seem to be finding as of late for others, pass service of more interest, than, frt. service, thru-out R8 land. I'm also noting both Discord & TeamSpeak, appears more of a party line these days rather than R8 business use. Starting to go off in left field, til next time. I love ya!....

Oh Scott my friend, I thought I was the pot stirrer. Takes me 8 paragraphs to nail the point home and I barely touch the surface

I tend to think of it more like, if you can't beat them join them. But I usually am too stubborn and stick to my own ways and say the hell with it I'll go watch YouTube or something.

When servers for me personally insisted on TS or Discord as required, that turned me away instantly. But to be fair I understand how difficult it is to try and dispatch using more than 1 communication system. This is why if it was something Run8 had on board, then I would be onboard. Especially if the communication was localized similar to how the defect detectors work. So you might hear the towers from far away (even beyond the range of the tower) but hearing crew to crew is much more limited to the range of the tower. You could have a channel (please not the default) as the party line. Then I could immerse myself in what I have to do on my train or my board without being bombarded by crap.

Again reference to model railroad clubs. Your running your train and every operator that comes in the door is talking about Donald Trump while your looking at your switch list trying to figure out the next set of moves

Oh found the website for the SE server https://southeasterntrainsim.freeforums.net/
    If your looking for an interesting NE server http://fandtrailsim.freeforums.net/

I got to start saving these forum addresses as we lost our handy bookmark page. So yeah there are some options out there but the majority are fairly dead or on life support. Much different to what it once was like.

Thanks

Sean