Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: North American railroad history - main questions

Quote Originally Posted by dcarleton View Post
    Here's one you may not have found yet....
    https://www.themetrains.com/main.html
    Still can't find this "black site", but thanks for other websites!

I asked another question - in 1967 US Postal Service cancelled all transportations by rail transport, railroads lost a lot of income. Also in 1960s in many American passenger trains were more and more baggage cars and boxcars for mail and express cargo, sometimes flatcars with mail containers, refrigerators and even piggyback flatcars.

If US postal service would not cancel transportation of mail by railroads, it would be possible continued existence of passenger trains without Amtrak?
    Vladislav

Quote Originally Posted by Vazyuk View Post
    If US postal service would not cancel transportation of mail by railroads, it would be possible continued existence of passenger trains without Amtrak?
    Mail could still move by train, but all the RPO (Railway Post Office) cars were cancelled. The RPO contracts were generally lucrative, and mostly paid the basic cost of running the trains. If the RPO cars had continued, some, or maybe even most, of the mail trains would have continued; and Amtrak may not have come into existence.

A big factor in the formation of Amtrak was the bankruptcy of Penn Central which ran the Northeast Corridor passenger services and the need to preserve these services which were and still are the backbone of rail passenger service in the US. Many of those trains did not run with RPO's although there was a dedicated PC RPO and baggage mail train which ran daily in those days. I suspect that if RPO's had continued, Amtrak would have still happened but perhaps more railroads would have stayed out as Southern, Rock Island, and D&RGW did initially.

Jon