Thread: Can You Change the Location of the Open Rails disk cache

Default Can You Change the Location of the Open Rails disk cache

Hi there

In another thread the question was posed:

"How long has it been since you cleaned out your Open Rails disk cache?

c:\users\{username}\appdata\roaming\OpenRails

and

c:\users\{username}\appdata\roaming\OpenRails\load cache"

As the title suggests, is there a way to change where Open Rails puts these log files. I really don't want them so deep in a hidden folder. I'd prefer them somewhere more easily accessible and related to my Open Rails installation.

Thanks

Bert

Quote Originally Posted by bertwise View Post
    Hi there

In another thread the question was posed:

"How long has it been since you cleaned out your Open Rails disk cache?

c:\users\{username}\appdata\roaming\OpenRails

and

c:\users\{username}\appdata\roaming\OpenRails\load cache"

As the title suggests, is there a way to change where Open Rails puts these log files. I really don't want them so deep in a hidden folder. I'd prefer them somewhere more easily accessible and related to my Open Rails installation.

Thanks

Bert
    Hi Bert,

Your easiest solution - just create a "shortcut" to that location and place it with your Open Rails stuff - then it's just a click away...

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Bert,

Your easiest solution - just create a "shortcut" to that location and place it with your Open Rails stuff - then it's just a click away...

Regards,
    Scott
    yep, that's what I did.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Yeah, not my preferred approach. I like having MY data in a location that makes it easy to back up, not spread all over in hidden folders.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bert

But that data belongs to the application, not you. It contains nothing that needs backing up. Just periodic clean-outs for the health of the application.

When you open Google earth, there is a 2 gb disk cache set aside by the application to hold frequently-viewed segments of the earth, it saves the application from re-downloading it every time. That data belongs to the application, not you, and is nothing that you need to periodically back up. You can manually clear the cache on occasion, just like you do with Open Rails, but nothing that needs preserving

It also includes the Save files. Those are the ones I would like backed up.

Quote Originally Posted by bertwise View Post
    It also includes the Save files. Those are the ones I would like backed up.
    You might consider this option from the manual >>
    7.17.1 Exporting and Importing Save Files
    To export a Save file, use the command: Menu > Options > Resume > Import/export saves > Export to Save Pack
    OR will pack the necessary files into a single archive file with the extension ORSavePack and place it in the folder
    Open Rails\Save Packs.
    This ORSavePack file is a zip archive which contains the replay
    commands, a screenshot at the moment of saving, a Save file (so that Open Rails can offer its Resume
    option) and a log file. This arrangement means that the ORSavePack archive is ideal for attaching to a bug
    report.
    You can use the Import Save Pack button on the same window to import and unpack a set of files from
    an ORSavePack archive. They will then appear in your Saved Games window.
    Your desire to keep saved activities might be moot, if you update to the latest unstable or monogame version, some newer versions will not reply saved activities from older versions.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Who knew? How interesting! Found my cache and it went back to 2012. Cleaned it all out. Would be nice if OR had a Setting for cleaning the cache like most browsers? Looks like I need to read the manual, again. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by greg_davies View Post
    Who knew? How interesting! Found my cache and it went back to 2012. Cleaned it all out. Would be nice if OR had a Setting for cleaning the cache like most browsers? Looks like I need to read the manual, again. Thanks guys.
    my emphasis

I agree...