Thread: Final Testing Underway - BLW/ZT IC City of New Orleans

Default Final Testing Underway - BLW/ZT IC City of New Orleans

I am really excited to announce that the Illinois Central City of New Orleans set is undergoing final testing. Should be released sometime this month.

What started out as helping "Komachi" out with reskinning some of our cars to create a CoNO facsimile (almost exactly five years ago), turned into a somewhat massive set as I learned about the CoNO and its operation, took dozens of photographs at the Cincinnati-Hamilton County Public Library of the Pullman Standard Library IC volume (car diagrams, engineering drawings, etc.) covering Illinois Central passenger equipment, and researching actual consists from Robert J Wayner books.

The set includes consists for both Southbound (IC train #1) and Northbound (IC train #2) CoNO sets as they appeared in 1948, 1958 and 1968. Most of these cars were rebuilt heavyweight cars converted to 'streamline' at IC's Burnside shops.

The Set:

#2 from 1948 is the actual consist recorded by Wayner in Memphis, TN September 10, 1948 (note: all cars had names):

IC #4007 - E7A
    IC #4101 - E7B
    IC #4011 - E7A
    IC #403 - RPO and Express car
    IC #1903 - Baggage Dormitory
    IC #2615 "Dauphine" 56 seat coach
    IC #2613 "Clairborne" 48 seat day-night coach
    IC #4201 "De Soto" Lunch counter-Lounge
    IC #2620 "Maurepas" 56 seat coach
    IC #2625 "Ponchatoula" 56 seat coach
    IC #2626 "Poydras" 56 seat coach
    IC #2622 "Tangipahoa" 56 seat coach
    IC #4106 "Jackson Square" Diner
    IC #2627 "Plaquemine" 56 seat coach
    IC #2614 "Baronne" 56 seat coach
    IC #2617 "Feliciana" 56 seat coach
    IC #2612 "Carondelet" 48 seat day-night coach
    IC #3305 "Mardi Gras" Tavern Lounge Observation

1948 #1
    An identical consist with additional names and numbers, hauled by E6A-E7B-E6A set.

1958 #1 & #2
    Consists pulled by E8, E9 and E7 locos in the 1950s paint scheme. Cars from the 1948 era had skirting removed and fixed steps added. Car names were removed from all but the Tavern Lounge Observation cars ("Mardi Gras" and "Audubon Park")

1968 #1 & #2
    Consists pulled by E8, E9 and E7 locos in the 1960s ICG paint scheme. By this time, even the Tavern Lounge Observation cars had lost their names, but domes purchased from MoPac had been added to the consists

Additional stuff

We've included extra headend equipment and coaches to make up a typical mail and express train. Two streamlined baggage cars (originally build for the City of Miami), HW RPO (pullman green) 2 HW baggage cars (pullman green), 2 HW baggage cars (brown, orange and yellow), 2 HW coaches (pullman green), and a pair of SW7s for terminal switching

The total count for this set is 23 locomotives and 60 passenger cars, split roughly evenly for the three decades of IC passenger trains. Locos and cars from the 1968 era can even be used with 1st gen Amtrak equipment.

OPERATION:

Train #1 left Chicago with 13 cars.
    At Carbondale, IL it met up with a feeder train from St. Louis, and one 56 seat coach was taken from the St. Louis-Carbondale train and added behind the diner.
    At Fulton, KY it met up with a feeder train from Louisville, and one 56 seat coach was taken from the Louisville-Fulton train and added behind the diner.
    This 15 car consist then continued on to New Orleans

Train #2 followed the same pattern in reverse, starting in New Orleans with 15 cars, dropping one coach in Fulton and one coach in Carbondale, arriving in Chicago as a 13 car train.

I'll be posting photos over the next weeks in preparation for the release. I hope you enjoy the set!

Rick

Special thanks to:

Jeremy Hughes (aka Kazareh, aka Komachi) for the original idea
    Cincinnati Hamilton County Public Library
    Robert Wayner
    Matt Maloy (and his Dad) from Elvas Tower for prototype information
    Gerry Storey for the OpenRails eng files
    www.railfonts.com for some of the fonts used in this set
    The Testing Crew:
    Stephane Benoit (aka Bennycdn)
    Rick Berg
    David P Carleton
    Ulrich Ehlers
    Chris Parker
    Tim Spencer
    and the man that makes this all possible:
    Gaetan Belanger

BLW/ZT (C) 2020

Looking forward to it! Now, about that CNW set I keep asking for....

I'm really amazed to see what this pack has become, for sure. It's na honor to have been the inspiration for such a pack, though five years ago? You're joking, has it been THAT long!? It doesn't feel like it what so flipping ever, really.Color me surpised at how fast those clock hands are spinning nowadays!

Quote Originally Posted by Komachi View Post
    I'm really amazed to see what this pack has become, for sure. It's na honor to have been the inspiration for such a pack, though five years ago? You're joking, has it been THAT long!? It doesn't feel like it what so flipping ever, really.Color me surpised at how fast those clock hands are spinning nowadays!
    Yep. I checked my Gmail, Jeremy. It was 2015. Thanks for the jumpstart!

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Looking forward to it! Now, about that CNW set I keep asking for....
    CNW is Gaetan's department

Tell me about that time flipping. I released my first and rather crude by my standards now, route, which was
    the Clinchfield in 2002, when I was only 63, barely dry behind the ears. Now at 81, I am still at it. Should
    get the Virginian out late this year, though I am trying to follow Bob Wirth's method of having "just enough"
    detail and then allowing anyone else to flesh out more if they like.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    Tell me about that time flipping. I released my first and rather crude by my standards now, route, which was
    the Clinchfield in 2002, when I was only 63, barely dry behind the ears. Now at 81, I am still at it. Should
    get the Virginian out late this year, though I am trying to follow Bob Wirth's method of having "just enough"
    detail and then allowing anyone else to flesh out more if they like.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)
    That's the main reason I've never opened the route editor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lololol
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

Yeah, agree with all of you on that time flipping. Funny thing is, it’s flipping so fast it’s leaving my head spinning. I got married the same month that MSTS came out, now my oldest daughter goes to college next fall, and I know what the Beatles were singing about when they sang “when I’m 64”.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South