Thread: Steam Loco Handling

Default Steam Loco Handling

Doing a couple of activities on the Plymouth to Penzance route I am puzzling a bit over steam loco operation.

The first challenge being I can't find an option to switch automatic fireman on or off and is it even a feature of OR.

I found the key commands to open the firebox door (F and Shift F) and R Shift R to shovel coal but couldn't see any indication of the fire depth increasing.

With regard to water, I switched on the injector (K) but no sound or indication the boiler was filling with water. On the six mile run from St Erth to St Ives not too much of an issue, but when I head out on the main line for an 80 mile run it would be rather embarrassing to run out of fire or water and drop the plug!
    Vern.

No idea sorry Vern, strictly a diesel fitter.

I nearly always run with autopilot in OR, i just like to watch the trains.

I did read on Elvas Tower, that OR has the best steam loco physics of all the train games.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

control F toggles auto fireman and manual fireman
    rick

Thanks Rick, you're a star. I was looking for it in the main preloading screen options - now I can thrash those copper capped beasties up through Cornwall!
    Vern.

Just picked up on UKTS, there are a few issues with GWR steam physics and wind resistance in OR:

https://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewto...f=324&t=152041

Probably explains why I had to keep power on running down the 1 in 40 from Liskeard to Coombe Jn.
    Vern.

According to UKTS Vern. But that doesn't mean a thing.

I actually drove a down goods working yesterday, the one i posted piccies of on here the other day.

Seemed fine to me buddy.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

hi Vern,

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Just picked up on UKTS, there are a few issues with GWR steam physics and wind resistance in OR:
    One of the problems with OR unfortunately. The wind resistance figure is too high but as I don't use the resistance options, I didn't pick it up.
    OR allows users to select a myriad of options but, it makes stock building and activity creation difficult because everyone has their own preferences and just one difference can mess everything up.

Cheers
    Clive

Thanks for popping in Clive - fantastic route as we've already mentioned in the other thread.

After a bit of a wrestle with the OR Path Editor and the TSRE Activity Editor I managed to set up an activity for the Looe branch using a MT Thumper from the LSE pack. Good stuff,
    Last edited by NorthernWarrior; 03-12-2020 at 04:09 AM.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by casperdog View Post
    hi Vern,

One of the problems with OR unfortunately. The wind resistance figure is too high but as I don't use the resistance options, I didn't pick it up.
    OR allows users to select a myriad of options but, it makes stock building and activity creation difficult because everyone has their own preferences and just one difference can mess everything up.

Cheers
    Clive
    That should be reported as a bug, I'm sure the developers would like to hear about it, given that considerable time and effort has been put into getting steam physics correct.
    Regards, Gerry
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I don't think it is a bug. The resistance figure for those engines was set too high, 0.1 against the 0.0024 recommended on the coalstonewcastle site.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.