Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSTS vs OR

Default MSTS vs OR

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Back to the OP, I am steadily moving operations across to OR and TSRE. The AE no longer works on my main PC, it loads then crashes on trying to do something. OR is a far superior platform on which to run even older routes and traction. In addition as more eng and wag files get OR specific entries, these cause a huge sequence of line errors on trying to start MSTS or the Editors and all have to be clicked through one by one.

The only thing I think we are still lacking is a path editor in either TSRE or OR (please correct me if wrong) and the Timetable function in OR is a mighty powerful tool ripe to be explored!
    Hi...

Path Editor - is in Track Viewer - one of the contributed tools that comes with ORTS and like the others - is far superior to MSTS... It also has all the Advanced Shunting capabilities of ORTS built in...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Moe,
    I was doing my upgrade to the map set for the original Gap to reflect any alterations and additions to the trackwork when I found out that I could not just click on my shortcut to the MSTS AE because that option was no longer available.

If you still want to use MSTS AE, I've found 2 'errors' which cause AE to fail and one which gives an error message but doesn't stop AE.

I copied the MILW-Idaho v2 folders into a default MSTS installation, allowing all overwrites.
    Starting AE and opening either of the supplied activities causes an error to be reported on line 2189 of the sigscr.dat file. That line is within
    SignalType ( "CCOR_CL-USS_H2A_LR" and is currently : SignalDrawState ( 2 which I changed to : SignalDrawState ( 1

While you're editing the file, make the same change to line 2224 (within
    SignalType ( "CCOR_CL-USS_H3A_LR"). In both cases, there are two SignalDrawStates with the first being shown as 0 so it's logical (at least to MSTS) that the second should be 1 and not 2.

AE also reports a problem with
    CCOR_CL-USS_H1A_GR. Open the sigscr.dat file and scroll down to line 1782 (SCRIPT CCOR_CL-USS_H1A_GR) and insert a line : extern float enabled after the other 'extern float' lines, then save the file,

It goes without saying that, before editing any files, they should be backed up, just in case!

The above modifications allow MSTS AE to display the map. I do not know if they have any detrimental effect on running the route in Open Rails so will not be held responsible for any malfunction. I have only checked that MSTS AE displays the map and not tried any modifications to the activities.

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 03-11-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    ...........................I found out that I could not just click on my shortcut to the MSTS AE because that option was no longer available. One of the selling features of OR when it first appeared was that it was compatible with the MSTS AE...………….

Moe Smith
    OR does not prevent a shortcut to the MSTS AE from working, it has no means of preventing any shortcut from working. I have OR installed, plus a basic set of MSTS and my AE works. The problem with using the MSTS AE for a quick activity fix is that the activity may well be made specifically for OR using the additional features available and MSTS AE cannot read those.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Those changes to the signal files should not affect the ability to run the route. As the person who designed that system, I can say that with confidence, and a bit of shame at letting those errors slip through

Ged Quote "The above modifications allow MSTS AE to display the map. I do not know if they have any detrimental effect on running the route in Open Rails so will not be held responsible for any malfunction. I have only checked that MSTS AE displays the map and not tried any modifications to the activities."

Many thanks, GED, I will PM the route author and tell him of this fix. He may not be reading this thread and the modification is beyond my capabilities.

Moe

Hello everyone, I'm the uploader of the Idaho V2.
    Thank You for finding a solution for the MSTS-AE compatibility. I will implement it to the next fix, it'll be released soon.