Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSTS vs OR

Default MSTS vs OR

I was doing my upgrade to the map set for the original Gap to reflect any alterations and additions to the trackwork when I found out that I could not just click on my shortcut to the MSTS AE because that option was no longer available. One of the selling features of OR when it first appeared was that it was compatible with the MSTS AE. While I agree that OR is the Sim of the future, I wondered why there is this sudden movement to send the MSTS platform to the trash bin and use OR only. I did a quick comparison between the two. A stripped down MSTS that holds X tracks and no routes but with a bare bones trainset is approximatly 200mbs. This latest non MSTS and without a route is around the same weight, ie; 200mbs., so there is little or no hard drive space savings. why alienate the MSTS users even more by cutting their ability to change or add an activity to the Gap or any other OR only route? There should be no difference to the new authors to build their new routes using TSRE while under the MSTS umbrella and still let the members run the route under the OR system. You might even get the members that are walking away because of this OR push to return if they know they can use their MSTS AE instead of trying to learn this new TSRE program that is excellent for route building but not for a quick activity fix.

If a MSTS member asks a legitimate question asking how to fix something in MSTS and another member replies "get OR" instead of the proper answer, that member might walk as well. This is not the way to get the members back. They probably will come back and eventually to OR if they can do it at their own pace and not be pushed. The reinstating of the MSTS AE will help them come back.

Moe Smith

Hi Moe,
    I fully support your stance on the MSTS AE, but any activities created using TSRE5/TrackViewer may well contain OR-specific parameters which could cause MSTS AE to fail. There's nothing much we can do about that as it's a 'closed-shop' !

I don't understand the following :
    ... when I found out that I could not just click on my shortcut to the MSTS AE because that option was no longer available.

I am running Win 10 and can use any of the MSTS Editors. The only reasons I know of for AE not to be available to you are either (1) you're running an AMD graphics card or (2) you're using an ultra-high definition monitor.

Cheers,
    Ged

Ged;

Thr new route 'The Gap' cannot be viewed in the MSTS AE as the author removed what the AE called for, some part of the MSTS stucture.

Moe

Hi Moe,
    My apologies
    I don't have "The Gap" so wasn't aware! Is it available for download - I can't see it in the library (maybe "The Gap" is just its nickname?)

Cheers,
    Ged

Who is the " Author " of this " New " route . I've never heard of it .

Milwaukee Road Idaho Division -- Jerry Sullivan; milwidaho01.zip thru ...08.zip

There are two versions, this newest edition was made specifically for OR using TSRE --- as stated in the readme, which also said it was "possibly not MSTS compatible".
    Last edited by R. Steele; 03-10-2020 at 07:22 PM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I see it now -- total of 11 files . It must be a big route by the sizes of the zips .

Thanx for the info .

Quote Originally Posted by bwbrgb View Post
    I see it now -- total of 11 files . It must be a big route by the sizes of the zips .

Thanx for the info .
    Oh Dang, I screwed up, I posted the names for the old files...the new ones are milwidd2_1.zip thru milwidd2_9.zip plus milwidd2_g.zip

My apologies, very sorry for the confusion.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Only type down one simple word.. On the "Search for Text" box, Just type in 'gap' and you will get hits.. Always just put down one word...

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi Moe,
    My apologies
    I don't have "The Gap" so wasn't aware! Is it available for download - I can't see it in the library (maybe "The Gap" is just its nickname?)

Cheers,
    Ged
    Dave Edwards

Back to the OP, I am steadily moving operations across to OR and TSRE. The AE no longer works on my main PC, it loads then crashes on trying to do something. OR is a far superior platform on which to run even older routes and traction. In addition as more eng and wag files get OR specific entries, these cause a huge sequence of line errors on trying to start MSTS or the Editors and all have to be clicked through one by one.

The only thing I think we are still lacking is a path editor in either TSRE or OR (please correct me if wrong) and the Timetable function in OR is a mighty powerful tool ripe to be explored!
    Vern.