Thread: just another question on train handling/mishandling in game

Default just another question on train handling/mishandling in game

sorry to query about thsi again, but i have not gotten any answer from teh manual on this and also looking at the manual raised another question

i still that if i drive around a curve most of the time its is not even apparent what the curve relative speed should be until i am already getting the message that - one or may cars may be damaged - and this happens even if i am driving below the speed limit,
    so firstly, how can i know what the recommended speed for a corner/turn in advance is as there is no signage in hte game i can see to tell me
    also if i get the message that some cars may be damaged is this actually possible or is the warning just an empty one? it seems to me that it is empty and no consequences follow on from that, except for me now the immersion is broken as what would i need to do in real life if such a message was received- do i keep playing, or do i restart everytme this happens? will there be some future developments to OR that bring possible resultant breakdowns, or somethinat that require me to stop and repair? - would that be realistic?

lastly in the manual there is a whole section on superelevation and such and its replication in OR - this part i dont understand fully as if trains never actually can tilt over or come off tracks in OR how is the physics worked out, - what is the limit and how can i know - or is it just the case that the recommended speed for superelevated turns is just higher relatively? again do i get any forewarning in game -
    or is it the case perhaps like in real life for some drivers, they have to memorise all the sections of track and appropriate speeds? is this what one should do for OR too - drive the track fast and get all the recommended speed warnings and then note down each for future reference?

Superelevation does have an effect on physics, but may not be the direct cause of the weird speed limits.

Do you have the 'Curve dependent speed limit' option checked under the simulation tab? If so, try turning it off

i do have it on, but i did so assuming that would be more realistic and i like if i get some feedback/warnings if i am doing something not right - really thats what i want more of in OR - if i turn it off is that then less realistic or is it right that i can take any corner at the speed limit and that would be true to life? it would matter depending on what i am carrying? are the double stacked freight riskier though?

so the message about some cars being damaged doesnt really refer to anything at all in game?

You're looking at a feature that works like a bug. Since MSTS did not have that feature, many routes were built without regard for curvature radius, compared to the real world, and in many cases the curves were modeled too tight. A long curve of over a mile radius might become a series of tangents interspersed with kinks. You run through there at 90 and this feature tells you that you're damaging your train....

If that annoys you, just turn it off. It is what it is, and it's all meant for your personal enjoyment.

well it wasnt that the messages were annoying me rather that i wanted to know if my train wagons are actually being damaged when the warning comes up

also i guess i was under the mistaken view that i was doing the wrong thing with regard to curves but based on what you have said it seems that rather it is OR overreacting to the way MSTS tracks were made. i was thinking it would be more realistic and i like it if i can get feedback in the game if i am doing something wrong, or in some way against what drivers would do in real life - but if the feedback itself is wrong then i am bit disppointed somewhat. Getting more feedback in game to signal how well one is driving would help with the enjoyment for me - otherwise its like having a body to move around but not having any nerve endings to tell me i have stubbed my toe or burnt my hand or chewed my own lips off

actually is there any train sim out there that would be regarded as the most realistic? is Run8 better with regard to this? is TS2020 better nowadays, i know it seemed to have some excessive looking tilt going on in the past