Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rollins Pass Doesn't Appear in MSTS Route, Nor Does it Appear in The Activity Editor?

I would recommend using only this version from the file library - rr7626fu.zip
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

OK.... Version 5 has two fixes. Did you download those and add them? Also, did you install X Tracks and Newroads? Most of your missing files are track and road sections. Several sound files are missing as well. Might also be a good idea to install M Tracks as well if you haven't already.
    Last edited by rt35ge; 03-19-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks for the comments.

I'll try version 7.6.26 of Route Riter shortly.

Yes, both "fixes" for V5 of Rollins Pass were applied, but these fixes seem to address something to do with signalling only and do not fix anything else(?) X-Tracks and Newroads also already installed.

I have just noticed that when running Route Riter V 7.8.10, a message box appears when first starting Route Riter that it couldn't find the Routes directory!?? Screenshot enclosed.

MSTS_RR_Error.jpg

MSTS is "installed" as -

H:\MSTS\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\

with Routes directory as -

H:\MSTS\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\Routes

For some reason it appears Route Riter is apparently not reading the routes directory (properly)? Despite browsing to the Routes directory in Route Riter, and then selecting a route to check, Route Riter seems to be not reading the routes properly and for some reason shows a large number of missing shapes and sound files!?

Maybe Route Riter is expecting the Routes path to be something like -

H:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\Routes ?

I could try reinstalling MSTS under the above path and then see what happens. But I'm not too keen on that at this time as it involves a lot of file re-installation and installing in the proper sequence.

Lightbulb

My MSTS and routes installation is - H:\MSTS\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\Routes and I point to that directory when browsing for routes to check in Route Riter.
    Path to Routes?
    On the Route_Riter main screen: In the Files Menu at the top left be sure to set the path to the route.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Downloaded, installed and ran version 7.6.26 of Route Riter.

Again Route Riter brings up lots of missing shapes from Rollins Pass V5 route, despite browsing in RR to the routes folder and despite the route already having those missing files!

But, thanks to you Vince! I then set the path in Route Riter to MSTS (with "train.exe" file in it, namely H:\MSTS\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\) and then re-ran Route Riter. This time there were no missing files found in Rollins Pass V5!

But perhaps it should have been a bit clearer by the author that the path to MSTS (train.exe) should be set first before attempting any checks on routes etc.? Unless I missed something?

Also, if the correct path to MSTS was NOT set first, and then browsing in Route Riter to the route to be checked and then running Route Riter is a bit mis-leading. As it is assumed the browsed to route is being checked, when it apparently isn't. Maybe a warning should have been displayed to the effect that path to MSTS train.exe should be checked before running any route checks?

Anyhow Route Riter seems to be running OK (for now). Except for a minor display error by Route Riter. The "Quit" and "Abort" button at the bottom right of Route Riter window seems to be shifted up a bit from the correct position.

I have the latest version of JRE installed 8.0.241 . .

Screenshot included.

MSTS_RR_Quit.jpg

Is the button actually mis-aligned, and what, if anything, can be done about re-positioning it?

Route_Riter is no longer supported by the author. If you read carefully through the Help files the instructions are in there somewhere.
    Back in the day it was common knowledge that RR had to be set to the path to the route.
    The instructions how to do this come up as soon as you click on the File ==>MSTS Path selection.

The PRR-East v2 i released a while back will run the RR Check Route test and the Stocks tests but will not run the ICHK test as the new TSRE editor has features that bork the test. Namely it's the new Dynamic Track that can be curved either left or right that throws RR in the ditch.

But I did get through and was able to correct all the database errors simply using Open Rails with it's comprehensive OpenRailsLog.txt file to chase down all the bugs. All the information you need to shoot down database bugs is in the OpenRailsLog.txt file placed on your desktop provided 'LOGGING' on the Opening OR screen (down near the bottom) is checked. DO NOT use Logging in the Options Panel!

The RR requirement that there must be a TRAIN.exe present is only a requirement that a file with that name be present.
    In the PRR East the TRAIN.exe file is simply a text file (with a secret message in it!) I renamed. train.txt renamed to train.exe.

I think the RR Main Screen can be resized to better see the buttons at the bottom.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Thanks for the comments.

It has been quite a few years since I last ran MSTS and its associated tools. So a lot of the required procedure to install and run all of the software was forgotten. So, I have saved a text file outlining the installation procedure for MSTS in particular. But it seems I'll have to add a note to the text file to be careful to set the path to train.exe in Route Riter first before running any checks with Route Riter.

I can make Route Riter full screen, and there is no longer an issue with regard to position of the Quit/Abort button. But if Route Riter is minimized (starts minimized by default anyway), then it appears the Quit/Abort button is slightly mis-positioned (up and slightly to the left) from where I think it should be. Not a major issue as the button works anyway.