Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Northeast Corridor, Surfliner, and other real-world timetables

Post Northeast Corridor, Surfliner, and other real-world timetables

Hi folks! I'm still around, believe it or not, and I've had a lot of fun playing with Open Rails' timetable function. I was inspired to write "autotable," a program that converts real-world transit schedules (in machine-readable GTFS format) into timetables for the simulator. Trains just phase in and out at the ends of their runs, so the result isn't as complete as a hand-crafted timetable with pooled trains and service maneuvers, but it's still a blast to run busy passenger routes with authentic traffic and rolling stock.

You can find my work on GitHub. As of March 17, 2020 there are timetables for the following routes:

• Leeds, Settle & Carlisle 2.0 (Northern)
    • Marias Pass 5 (Amtrak)
    • Surfliner 2.3 (Amtrak, Metrolink, Coaster)
    • Northeast Corridor v4 (Amtrak, SEPTA, MARC)

Happy railroading!

Ryan
    US-based railfan and programmer. Author of various timetables and safety scripts for Open Rails.

I have been trying to use these files, but i get lots of errors. I understand that i have to use Autotable to convert files.
    When i try to install Autotable, i get missing files from packegs.... Even this is very painfull to install. Don't know why.
    Using windows 10. I am very confused about converting/using files.
    Is there a simple way to do this? Can you provide some instructions other that on Github?
    From instructions from Github, i did try to follow exactly how to install Python and packages that are requierd. About Freeze pack, got it and its not working....
    So, can you post a converted files? Thank You.

Plain old timetable files are available on the Actions page. (You need to be signed in to GitHub to view it.) And if you are still interested in running autotable, the releases page has a prebuilt exe.
    Ryan
    US-based railfan and programmer. Author of various timetables and safety scripts for Open Rails.

Ok, i have found those timetable file and they are working well. Thank You.
    I am going to give it a try one more time runing Aoutotable. I am still interestet about using it, but, i have an idea how it all works. I got very little back ground about this. I have used Linux before, i had server running for my stuff. That was about 5 years ago. So i do not use it as much and that knowledge goes out of your brain fast....

Anyway, thank you for this. I really like timetables that follow real time events.
    Have a good one

It's simple enough to use if you are handy with the command prompt. cd to the autotable-1.0-amd64\ directory, type autotable.exe, click-and-drag the MSTS install/mini-route directory as the first argument, click-and-drag the recipe YAML as the second argument.
    Ryan

I gave autotable a try and and I got this error:

C:\Users\train\Desktop\autotable>autotable.exe "C:\MSTS" "C:\Users\train\Desktop\autotable\samples\EURO PE1 - Northern - Mon Dec 2019.yaml"
    Loading MSTS/ORTS installation ...
    Reading recipe ...
    concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:
    """
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Users\ra_yo\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Pyth on38\lib\concurrent\futures\process.py", line 239, in _process_worker
    File "C:\Users\ra_yo\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Pyth on38\lib\concurrent\futures\process.py", line 198, in _process_chunk
    File "C:\Users\ra_yo\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Pyth on38\lib\concurrent\futures\process.py", line 198, in <listcomp>
    File "C:\Users\ra_yo\Documents\autotable\autotable\msts install.py", line 66, in __init__
    StopIteration
    """

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "C:\Users\ra_yo\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Pyth on38\lib\concurrent\futures\_base.py", line 611, in result_iterator
    File "C:\Users\ra_yo\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Pyth on38\lib\concurrent\futures\_base.py", line 432, in result
    File "C:\Users\ra_yo\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Pyth on38\lib\concurrent\futures\_base.py", line 388, in __get_result
    StopIteration

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "C:\Users\ra_yo\Documents\autotable\venv\lib\s ite-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\__startup__.py", line 40, in run
    File "C:\Users\ra_yo\Documents\autotable\venv\lib\s ite-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\Console.py", line 37, in run
    File "autotable/main.py", line 517, in <module>
    File "autotable/main.py", line 100, in main
    File "autotable/main.py", line 120, in load_config
    File "C:\Users\ra_yo\Documents\autotable\autotable\msts install.py", line 140, in route
    File "C:\Users\ra_yo\Documents\autotable\autotable\msts install.py", line 137, in routes
    File "C:\Users\ra_yo\Documents\autotable\autotable\msts install.py", line 137, in <dictcomp>
    File "C:\Users\ra_yo\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Pyth on38\lib\concurrent\futures\process.py", line 484, in _chain_from_iterable_of_lists
    RuntimeError: generator raised StopIteration
    Ryan

So what the program is trying to do is locate the C:\MSTS\ROUTES directory, but it seems to be nonexistent. Do you have multiple mini-installs under your C:\MSTS folder? If so, then you need to point autotable to a particular mini-install.
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by curley View Post
    I gave autotable a try and and I got this error:
    Yep this is the exact same thing i get....
    And i have Routes located in MSTS dir.
    in my case it is h:\msts\routes
    but as i stated above, same error lines.

Quote Originally Posted by rman View Post
    So what the program is trying to do is locate the C:\MSTS\ROUTES directory, but it seems to be nonexistent. Do you have multiple mini-installs under your C:\MSTS folder? If so, then you need to point autotable to a particular mini-install.
    No, this is just the base game. Guess I can make a mini-route and try that.
    Ryan

Hmm, it should have worked for both of you. I will look into this tomorrow.
    Ryan