Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Northeast Corridor, Surfliner, and other real-world timetables

Hi Ryan,

Worked perfectly for me; nothing wrong with your files. It took me a little while to figure out what a "recipe" was (it's the .yaml file); always helpful to explain jargon to new users. Other than that all I had to do was follow your instructions to the letter:

1. I drilled to my "autotable-1.0-amd64" directory ...
    2. Typed in autotable.exe followed by a space (then I DID NOT HIT ENTER! because if you do you'll screw it up!) ...
    3. I then dragged and dropped my NEC4 mini-route folder to the command prompt window followed by a space ...
    4. Then I dragged and dropped the .yaml file I wanted from NEC4's Activities\OpenRails folder ...
    5. I then went back to the command prompt window and clicked on it to make it the active window again ...
    6. And then, and ONLY then, did I hit Enter.

Your program gurgled and bubbled for a bit and then ... Voila! A new .timetable-or file appeared. I closed the command prompt window, fired up OR, and off we went!

Many thanks for your work and for sharing it with us!

David
    Last edited by Shawmut; 03-19-2020 at 10:31 AM. Reason: clarification

For general use a GUI might solve the problems
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

So, i guess if you don't have mini-route, it will not work?

Folks, if you just want to play my timetables, there's no need to touch autotable.exe. You can download ready-made .timetable-or files from here. (GitHub sign-in required, unfortunately; it's not up to me. I can upload to somewhere else by request.) autotable is for developers. You would use it to modify information that's specified in the base recipe, like consist and path names, station wait times, and speed limits - or to build a new timetable for another route.

Was I perhaps not clear enough in the repository text? Do you think I should clarify?
    On hiatus. Still checking PM's.
    My MSTS webpage.

Quote Originally Posted by rman View Post
    Folks, if you just want to play my timetables, there's no need to touch autotable.exe. You can download ready-made .timetable-or files from here. (GitHub sign-in required, unfortunately; it's not up to me. I can upload to somewhere else by request.) autotable is for developers. You would use it to modify information that's specified in the base recipe, like consist and path names, station wait times, and speed limits - or to build a new timetable for another route.

Was I perhaps not clear enough in the repository text? Do you think I should clarify?
    Oh no, it was clear what was needed to download the actual timetables. I already had a Github account so it wasn't a problem for me. I wanted to use autotable for the very reason you said. I like the idea and it would be great to use on some routes like Cajon 4.2 and heavy commuter routes like some of the UK and Indian Railways ones, just a little interesting that it seems to only work on mini-routes. Not really a big deal for me as I need to organize some stuff in my MSTS folder to clear up some space.
    Ryan

Oddly enough, and even though I do have a GitHub account, when I click on your "here" link I just get a list of actions you've done by date and time. If I go to <>Code and click on the big green Download button, the resulting zip file does NOT have the individual .timetable-or files, just the timetablelist-or file plus the individual .yaml files. So for example, for USA1A you find the All Northeast Corridor.timetablelist-or file, plus the individual .yaml files like "Amtrak - Fri Aug 2018.yaml."

So that's why I used autotable, and I have to say following your instructions it works to a "T" ... very impressive. Like user "curley" this has given me lots of ideas and using autotable is really very, very easy.

But I'll be doggone if I can find those ready-made timetable-or files ...

David

Quote Originally Posted by Shawmut View Post
    Oddly enough, and even though I do have a GitHub account, when I click on your "here" link I just get a list of actions you've done by date and time. If I go to <>Code and click on the big green Download button, the resulting zip file does NOT have the individual .timetable-or files, just the timetablelist-or file plus the individual .yaml files.
    You were almost there! You want to select the latest commit and download the "All timetables" artifact.
    My MSTS webpage.

You were almost there! You want to select the latest commit and download the "All timetables" artifact.
    Ah, thanks, Ryan; see it now. Almost feels like cheating getting them ready made

Quick question: what do the 2 Dash9's coupled together represent? I've been switching out the default stock for some actual MARC stock and would like to do the same for these.

Thanks,

David

Quote Originally Posted by curley View Post
    No, this is just the base game. Guess I can make a mini-route and try that.
    Quote Originally Posted by gammaray84 View Post
    So, i guess if you don't have mini-route, it will not work?
    Okay, so I've figured out the issue - autotable's loader was erroring out if you didn't have an MSTS data folder that was perfectly structured. So if you had a stray folder in your ROUTES\ folder, for example, you were sunk. It had nothing to do with mini-routes versus full installs.

I have released a hotfix to fix the issue. Hopefully, the program will now work for both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by curley View Post
    I like the idea and it would be great to use on some routes like Cajon 4.2 and heavy commuter routes like some of the UK and Indian Railways ones, just a little interesting that it seems to only work on mini-routes.
    Stay tuned, I have a Cajon Pass timetable in the works.

Also, side note - the GTFS format has seen scant adoption outside of North America and Europe, so you might have trouble finding data for railways outside of those regions. I had wanted to produce a timetable for the default Tokyo-Hakone route but was frustrated by the lack of data.
    My MSTS webpage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawmut View Post
    Quick question: what do the 2 Dash9's coupled together represent? I've been switching out the default stock for some actual MARC stock and would like to do the same for these.
    Just an MP36 double header, that's all.
    My MSTS webpage.