Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPO Position on Streamlined Express Trains

Default RPO Position on Streamlined Express Trains

In many movies I see the RPO is behind the baggage car.
    However, some MSTS activities such as the Storm of 1952 ones they place the RPO directly behind the engines and ahead of the baggage.
    I tweaked the files to have the RPO behind the baggage but it didn't look right, so I switched it back.
    Heck, I've even googled about consists.
    Did the City of San Francisco always put the RPO behind the engines and ahead of the baggage?
    Was it more common to have RPO before baggage or vice versa?

Older movies used stock footage of real trains in motion. If that's what you see in live operations, I'd go with that vs. what someone imagined would look right in a game consist...

I remember reading somewhere that the RPO was normally directly behind the locomotive and ahead of any other cars so railroad employees didn't have to pass through the RPO, access to which was restricted to post office employees.

I have heard from a former postal employee who was assigned to an RPO that the car was always behind the engine for security reasons.

He was actually trained in the use of firearms. The RPO had a locker for weapons and the supervisor was always armed.

Fred

Also, the door between the baggage section and the RPO was a half-door, so that if someone tried to get into the RPO section from the baggage side, the had to crawl on their hands and knees, giving the armed postal employees a huge advantage.

Security bars on the windows of RPOs? I can understand everything now thank you.
    FRA Glazing Standards didn't apply when the railroads ordered those cars.
    I don't know if they were upgraded at some point later on.

Glazing standards didn't come about until the 1970's. RPO's were long gone by then.

Have a book called "Steam, Steel and Limiteds". It a complete history of US steam powered passenger trains, over 500 pages. In most photos, the baggage car was directly behind the locomotive with the RPO next if the train was a limited or express. If the run was shorter or secondary train, then the order appears to be RPO followed by combination baggage car.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Quote Originally Posted by longiron View Post
    Have a book called "Steam, Steel and Limiteds". It a complete history of US steam powered passenger trains, over 500 pages. In most photos, the baggage car was directly behind the locomotive with the RPO next if the train was a limited or express. If the run was shorter or secondary train, then the order appears to be RPO followed by combination baggage car.
    OK. I'll just switch the consists back.
    There are 2 versions of the City of San Francisco.

1. Storm of 1952 Version has RPO infront of baggage and only 13 cars including both rpo and baggage.
    2. Summer Version has Baggage then RPO and 15 cars making 17 total. IIRC, they had 13 cars in proper order with 4 extras attached behind the blunt observation Western Peaks.
    Last edited by eolesen; 03-20-2020 at 06:26 AM. Reason: we don't need toilet stories...

The internet search feature is your friend: http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/13/t/28438.aspx
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."