Thread: Unknown Error ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Unknown Error ?

Colleagues,

It has been nearly a year since I did any work in a particular area of the VIRG1 route and
    now I was going through the part I added, that has catenary in order to fix any visual
    inconsistencies.

When I came to a particular location, where the next tile (whichever one that is) would
    start to load, RE crashed with the usual meaningless error. TSRE has no problem in the
    area and I ran TSUtils to check for soundsource errors, but none were found - I didn't
    expect any as I haven't put any in the route except on the start tile.

Any ideas, and I would be glad to send the route to anyone that wants to tackle the
    issue via "WeTransfer", just send me a email address by the private messages.

J. H. Sullivan

Colleagues,

Evidently the issue is a corrupt entry (element) on a world tile, but whatever it is, it is ignored by
    TSRE so I have used that to continue correcting catenary errors. I did find that CatMaster evidently
    does not use MSRE other than for the user to get coordinate data, which is also available in TSRE,
    so I was able to load corrected catenary elements, and then remove erroneous ones.

I would assume, but will test to find out, that the error will also crash MSTS during a activity, but
    if ORTS does not crash the activity, Then this will just be a "ORTS only route". Regrettable because
    I prefer my routes to be usable in either.

J. H. Sullivan

What you are experiencing is becoming more and more common - ability for ORTS and TSRE to handle small errors that MSTS cannot.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

I guess so, looks like I will have to take a stiff drink and learn more about TSRE. At least I have all the track
    and roads done for this one. It is odd, because I can "fly" MSRE almost to the tile boundary, but then
    something beyond starts to load & "crash". Or I can "fly" in the opposite direction and within about1/2 mile
    of the previous location the crash occurs, so it must be some tile that is not seen that has the error. In any
    case, now I have to find a engine that works correctly on ORTS and try that. TSRE goes right past the area
    with no sweat. It could also be overload because the 3 tiles around that area are all heavily loaded with
    about 500 objects each.

J. H. Sullivan

This true railfan has 3 favorite railroads, L&N, Milwaukee Road, and D&RG narrow gauge----------

Well, a check with a ORTS activity shows that ORTS handles whatever it is okay. I'll have to set up a
    practice route and figure out how to place objects with TSRE. The ones that I wonder about are
    transfers but the only location that I will have to use those is at the Palisades near Eggleston, VA,
    a famous location on the old Virginian, otherwise just cuts etc. which I could omit because I want
    to release my routes with "just enough detail". At 81, I don't know how many more I have to do,
    but I have several in the queue.

Simon Van de Laak, who originally started this route is working up some modern mine equipment
    which will be used on this and 4 or 5 future routes.

I also have (or perhaps had) plans to travel to New Mexico and do my docent thing at the C&TS
    for a week in May and 2 weeks in October, but it is looking like May is not good, so maybe 3
    weeks in the fall.

J. H. Sullivan

Take a look at the ORTS log file.
    It might tell you what the problem that crashes MSRE is.

Randy

Yes, I was going to do that. There is a unrelated issue with some rolling stock that I am also
    going to ask that group to look into.

Jerry

Jerry,
    This is sort of unrelated, but I found this "map" of the north end of the Virginian where it comes into C&O, and what looks like the minw network around Carlisle, White Oak, Beckly, Prince and Deepwater.
    VGN-C&O_DEEPWATER-PRINCE WV.jpg
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South