Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unknown Error ?

Cool Unknown Error ?

Colleagues,

It has been nearly a year since I did any work in a particular area of the VIRG1 route and
    now I was going through the part I added, that has catenary in order to fix any visual
    inconsistencies.

When I came to a particular location, where the next tile (whichever one that is) would
    start to load, RE crashed with the usual meaningless error. TSRE has no problem in the
    area and I ran TSUtils to check for soundsource errors, but none were found - I didn't
    expect any as I haven't put any in the route except on the start tile.

Any ideas, and I would be glad to send the route to anyone that wants to tackle the
    issue via "WeTransfer", just send me a email address by the private messages.

J. H. Sullivan

Colleagues,

Evidently the issue is a corrupt entry (element) on a world tile, but whatever it is, it is ignored by
    TSRE so I have used that to continue correcting catenary errors. I did find that CatMaster evidently
    does not use MSRE other than for the user to get coordinate data, which is also available in TSRE,
    so I was able to load corrected catenary elements, and then remove erroneous ones.

I would assume, but will test to find out, that the error will also crash MSTS during a activity, but
    if ORTS does not crash the activity, Then this will just be a "ORTS only route". Regrettable because
    I prefer my routes to be usable in either.

J. H. Sullivan

What you are experiencing is becoming more and more common - ability for ORTS and TSRE to handle small errors that MSTS cannot.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

I guess so, looks like I will have to take a stiff drink and learn more about TSRE. At least I have all the track
    and roads done for this one. It is odd, because I can "fly" MSRE almost to the tile boundary, but then
    something beyond starts to load & "crash". Or I can "fly" in the opposite direction and within about1/2 mile
    of the previous location the crash occurs, so it must be some tile that is not seen that has the error. In any
    case, now I have to find a engine that works correctly on ORTS and try that. TSRE goes right past the area
    with no sweat. It could also be overload because the 3 tiles around that area are all heavily loaded with
    about 500 objects each.

J. H. Sullivan

This true railfan has 3 favorite railroads, L&N, Milwaukee Road, and D&RG narrow gauge----------

Well, a check with a ORTS activity shows that ORTS handles whatever it is okay. I'll have to set up a
    practice route and figure out how to place objects with TSRE. The ones that I wonder about are
    transfers but the only location that I will have to use those is at the Palisades near Eggleston, VA,
    a famous location on the old Virginian, otherwise just cuts etc. which I could omit because I want
    to release my routes with "just enough detail". At 81, I don't know how many more I have to do,
    but I have several in the queue.

Simon Van de Laak, who originally started this route is working up some modern mine equipment
    which will be used on this and 4 or 5 future routes.

I also have (or perhaps had) plans to travel to New Mexico and do my docent thing at the C&TS
    for a week in May and 2 weeks in October, but it is looking like May is not good, so maybe 3
    weeks in the fall.

J. H. Sullivan

Take a look at the ORTS log file.
    It might tell you what the problem that crashes MSRE is.

Randy

Yes, I was going to do that. There is a unrelated issue with some rolling stock that I am also
    going to ask that group to look into.

Jerry

I didn't find anything in the ORTS Log, other than a warning about not finding a end of file in just about
    all world files.

J. H. Sullivan

Colleagues,

I have sent the route to Lukas in Switzerland and he is seeing what he can find. One thing he commented on
    to me, just yesterday was that a route he has which runs fine on a older install of Win-7, burps on the current
    version of Win-7, so on a hunch I fired up my trusty XP machine and loaded the route on it. I get the same
    problem, so it is some kind of hard error. Lukas is suspicious about some road objects so we will see what
    happens. If it cannot be fixed, the route is fine in ORTS & TSRE and I can still use MSTS/RE in other areas.
    I have a hard time remembering that business in TSRE about turning off the track or road database links
    before editing ----- etc. but that would not be an issue with regular objects. I have used TSRE to align
    all the bridges I have placed so far.

The easiest way to find why MSRE crashes is to remove the affected .W file and see if it works in MSRE. If it works, then you can split the .W file objects in half and repeat to find which object cause the crash.

You can also try the new TSRE errors & messages window. If it is a problem related to .W <-> TDB relations, you will find it there.