Thread: No distance viewing, looks like fog

Lightbulb No distance viewing, looks like fog

Hi there, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me,
    No matter the route, or changes I make in the options in Open Rails, when I start the activity, at the beginning, you see everything in perfect detail, buildings, roads, trees, etc, then everything starts to blank away, except for what's ahead of you a few 100 feet, doesn't make for fun simulation. It was working great until I installed an OR route into my MSTS folders, and messed everything up, now that I've reinstalled everything, this is the new problem I'm having, and I've tried many different settings, but to no avail.
    My PC is
    AMD 9590 4.7GHz
    Ram 32Gb
    Videocard EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
    OS Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Any help would be most greatly, and gratefully appreciated...
    David

OR log will probably help...people can see if OR is logging any warnings and also what your complete settings are when the problem occurs, screenshot might help also. Other than that....look in manual

6.3.10 Viewing distance
    This option defines the maximum distance at which terrain is displayed. At higher distancesDistantMountains
    will be displayed (see below). This parameter increases CPU and GPU load. Also, some routes are
    optimized for the standard MSTS maximum viewing distance (2000m).
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Default Open Rails Log and Data Logger.

at the beginning, you see everything in perfect detail, buildings, roads, trees, etc, then everything starts to blank away, except for what's ahead of you a few 100 feet,
    Hi David,
    This sounds like you have on the [Options] =>[Experimental Tab], the Automatically tune settings to keep performance level box checked.
    This experimental option dumbs down the viewing distance when your cpu cannot keep up with the demands of the route.
    Try either setting the frame rate lower or turning it off.

Also in the future to save your having to type all those machine specs please have the 'Logging' box on the OR Main Screen checked. This will place a log, OpenRailsLog.txt file on your desktop, overwritten with each session running Open Rails.

The log will save you time and give you a comprehensive snapshot of any failures in running Open Rails.
    Viewing this log may give you a clue as to what is causing you problems.

DO NOT use the [Options] => Data Logger Tab. Special diagnostic use only.

Attach the OpenRailsLog.txt file on your desktop to your post.
    If the log file is too large to attach then please zip first then attach to your post.

There is a wealth of good information in this log. Browse through it and become familiar with it.

regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 03-22-2020 at 03:39 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Vince

Thanks for this tip

"This sounds like you have on the [Options] =>[Experimental Tab], the Automatically tune settings to keep performance level box checked. This experimental option dumbs down the viewing distance when your cpu cannot keep up with the demands of the route.
    Try either setting the frame rate lower or turning it off."

I had trees disappearing in the distance. That has now stopped after unckecking that option.

Bert