Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TS Modeler, Sketchup or other...

Default TS Modeler, Sketchup or other...

Hi,
    I am looking to start making my own structures to fit my needs. I did some searching here and found that TS Modeler and Google Sketchup are used by many.

With TS Modeler, i understand that it does not work on a Win-10 64-bit machine, and since i have only a Win-10 computer, it seems to be a dead-end.

As for Sketchup, it needs a plug-in to transfer files to the .s files format. There is a plug-in by Paul Gausden in the f/l: su2ts20.zip that seems to work with an old version of Sketchup, the actual version i downloaded being SketchupMake 2017 - 64 bit - ver 17.0.18899.0. It seems to be another dead-end.

I have Google Earth Pro 7.3.2.5776(64-bit) to measure the buildings i want to model and i use TSRE5 v0.69761.

Can someone suggest something for me to get one or both working, please?

Thanks

Michel

I use TSM on a Windows 10 computer.

Sketchup has a updated exporter for MSTS's .S format available at ET.

I personally find Sketchup (older version Sketchup MAKE) easier for models. TSM I find requires the need for more precise dimensions ahead of time and for me a WAG model is not too easy.

Sketchup is an easy, intuitive program for getting started in modeling. I built all of my first shapes (details for locomotives) in Sketchup. For making basic structures for routes, I imagine it may be the best for a beginner. The shortfall of Sketchup is that it (last I remember) doesn't have the ability to add shape animations. This is a barrier to making locomotives and rolling stock in Sketchup. The wheels won't be able to turn or swivel.
    An additional warning about Sketchup: The program does a wonderful job making smooth corners and curved objects, but in my experience this can create 'bloated' shapes that are far larger than they need to be in the OR/MSTS world. The curved shapes create WAY too many polys. It's been a several years since I tried using Sketchup, so I can't accurately recall if there is a way to minimize the amount of polygons in a curved object.
    Open Rails has reduced the need for poly reduction, but I think it's wise to consider computer resource use when building new objects. Textures can also use unnecessary resources. It's better to use one 1024x1024 texture for everything on the object, rather than using 5 248x248 textures.

TS Modeler is ok. I've built several models that I'm proud of using it, but it certainly has limitations. I can't speak for Windows 10, but it works just fine on Windows 7 64-bit. There is a version of TS Modeler that can be downloaded free from a website, but I found that version to be problematic. I quickly went back to using my original copy that I bought many years ago. There is a bit of a learning curve to TSM, but it's pretty basic when compared to Blender or 3DSMax.

If you have any intent on transferring models between game platforms, I would recommend you look at Blender. You can make models for several games using it. It has a STEEP learning curve at the beginning, but if you're putting in the time to really learn to model, it is best not to get locked into a software that is very limited in its export ability. My models in TSM do not transfer to other games like Trainz or Transport Fever. TSM is useful for MSTS/OR only.

Good luck with your modeling endeavors!

Tyler

Hank Sundermayer posted here several years back, that the exporter plug-in for Sketchup has to be placed in the Users Plugins folder in Sketchup 2017, not the Plugins folder as was done for the older versions of Sketchup.

Open Rails 2016-05-05 09-11-42.jpg

Pig Iron furnaces at Wharton, NJ. All visible static models done in Sketchup 8.

station4.jpg

NY&GL Passenger station for Montclair, NJ. (The major Erie station in Montclair, they had 6) Curved roof supports done with the follow me button, after adjusting the number of segments in the arc(s) downward from the default 12.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

I've built a couple thousand structures in Sketchup, less than a dozen using GMax which also has a steep learning curve.

Learning Blender is on my "if I have to quarantine in place" list, but so far I've been told I have to keep working...

Quote Originally Posted by ckawahara View Post
    I use TSM on a Windows 10 computer.
    is there a tutorial on how to install it on a Win-10 computer?

Michel

I just ran the installer..then the usual where to put it. It is on my drive f:\.

I see, simple as that...since i only have C: it will be in the program files...

Many thanks for that information....

For the record, I'm using version 1.1. Not sure where you got your info and whether it had to deal with a specific version.

Just because you put it on the C drive doesn't mean you have to put it in a programs folder.
    Seems like the older MSTS tools do much better if not installed in a programs folder.
    I used to install my stuff in C:\RR Stuff, before I had a D,E,F,G & T drive.

Randy