Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Trainz 2019 North America

What stands out for me from those screenies is that they have never changed the sky texture from what we had nearly twenty years ago.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Spot on Bruce, no dynamic sky or clouds as far as i know.

Unless there are variations on the DLS.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

In the older versions I found that regardless of weather setting, the sky would always inevitably darken and change to rain, which would then last the duration of your session. I was playing UK routes, though, so I guess that's prototypical

Dunno. When you are encased by four walls who cares?

The whole environment and weather aspect of Trainz is rubbish, Steve.

No offence Phil, but i wouldn't give tuppence for a model layout type route.

It's not what interests me, in the train games.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    ... a model layout type route..
    The irony is that Phil is one of the few people doing with Trainz what Greg Lane originally envisaged.....and doing it superbly.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Alright fanbois, calm down.

It is no longer marketed as a toy trainset though Bruce. The clue is in the name and has been since TRS2004.
    Yma O Hyd

It is no longer marketed as a toy trainset though Bruce..
    I'm not suggesting that it ever was or is, Mike.
    What I am saying is that Greg Lane's original idea was to create a product which allowed people to create virtual layouts.
    That was his initial light-bulb moment.
    We were the ones who pushed Surveyor beyond the limits of the basement/spare room/empty garage and into the realms of prototypical routes.
    Auran had to try and play catch-up and were never 100% successful at doing so.

Therefore if you look at what people such as Phil are doing, they fit the original Greg Lane concept perfectly.

Yup i know what you are saying Bruce. I still have my original boxed copy of Trainz CE.

Which says............a model railroad on your pc.

But that was dropped very quickly by TRS2004.

Which is why we now have the seperate Trainz Model Railway edition or whatever it's called.

Nothing against people creating what they wish with the game.

Just not for me and never will be. The same as fictional routes, do not interest me.
    Yma O Hyd

.....Just not for me and never will be. The same as fictional routes, do not interest me.
    Same as you, I don't like fictional routes.

However, I am happy with a section (or sections) of a real-life route and if it's nothing more than a small branch-line and/or yard, that's fine too. Just as long as it is detailed as closely as possible to the real thing.

I am also comfortable with truncated or compressed real-life routes just as long as what we have to play with replicates bits of the real world.

When I was into model trains (N-Gauge, back between 1976 and 1984) I modelled a section of the Main North (NSW, that is) and had the Taree station and yard at one end and the Wauchope station and yard at the other. Real-life distance by rail is over 100kms and there are several small rural stations in between, including the town where I lived as a child (Kendall).

Naturally I had to compress the line in order to fit it down one side of our garage but that was fine because my centres of attention were the stations and yards at each end.
    I gave me a whole lot of pleasure to not only construct and landscape but to also operate.

That's why I can empathise with those who use Trainz as Phil does. I could probably get a similar amount of enjoyment if I had the time to create in Surveyor what I did in my garage.