Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trainz 2019 North America

Brilliant work there Phil, as always.
    Vern.

Well I've had some crashes so I can see what some people might be saying though it's probably down to my resources as I'm on low graphics anyways. I seem to know how to avoid them (don't try to do too much at once in the editors).

As someone who spent very little time in the initial version, I'm finding a steep learning curve. I'm also finding though there are lots of youtube videos and google sending me to posts difficult to find some simple questions. I'll post them below if anyone can help it's appreciated.

1) How do you expand or add more panels in surveyor? This too me should be obvious but I can't find it. I've seen the merge functions which perhaps is the only way to do it. I thought there was a way to set the size of the panel but I can't see that option.

2) How do you delay commodities from loading and unloading. OK I found a possible solution through trial and error in the steep learning curve of scripts and rules. So I created a very basic small route with a lumber mill and small yard. Being able to do this so quick is certainly this sims strong point of course. I was able to add a rule in where I delayed loading by 600 seconds. So far it's not working and I'm not sure why. In the prototype of course you don't pull up to a dock and sit and wait like an LTL truck You certainly don't get an instant load or unload either. What I found after setting this rule is the forklift driver stopped working and never went back even after the 10 minutes. Not sure what happened there to be honest.

3) The final one is a more general open ended kind of question. I know there are portals, AI, and scripting. For years I wrote activities in MSTS and I hear the AI in Trainz is the best of all of them. I know I can have set time events but in the real world they may come on time but not always and could be even quite a bit variant for freights. Not sure how to utilize the portals, or find a good video or tutorial on scripting (as I am a programmer). I'm not even sure if the AI knows how to pass each other and if the AI is dynamic enough to figure it out based on time rather than triggers in the game (which I've seen and likely could figure out).

Anyways thanks for the help and suggestions guys if you have them. Feel free to point me to any good youtube channels or articles if it saves time in explaining.

Appreciated

Sean

Very welcome Sean, there are miriads of tuition videos on YT, buddy.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Any good youtubers you can recommend? I've seen Colin's Trains and a few others so far pop up in my searches.

Thanks

Sean

Colin is good Sean. N3V do some good tutorials as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/n3vgames/videos

They are beta testing multiplayer route building at the moment. Might be something you and your son might be interested in Sean, when it is released.

These are good for the basics buddy.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...9vaLNNXnYM9uxM

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Awesome Mike. I don't regret this purchase now my son is playing upstairs with his new copy while I get ready for bed

Tonight I was able to use those suggestions to expand my route. A basic lumber mill with a portal at the other end. Industry switcher, and a supply train coming in from the portal every 60 minutes.

I was able to get the rule for delaying the loading and unloading and left it at 60 seconds to make it a bit more realistic. The thing I found is you can't leave cars there you must be set up to a train or perhaps AI to do it in order for it to load or unload. Once the industry switcher has done his works I return back to a fair size yard and interchange with the portal supply train. Lots of fun so far! This has been right up my alley.

I miss the run8 physics etc. but the ability to create with this is amazing. The AI features it has and interactive industries (though not perfect) add a bit of it's own operational interest that has some pros and cons related to Run8. But at the moment I'm siding with TRS19 for the operations being more realistic. For me Run8 is still the best train simulator as nothing beats is physics and of course MP.

Both of these fine programs will remain on my hard drive for years to come.

Thanks

Sean

Nice one Sean, there is already MP driving in Trainz. So you might like to try that out together. Not sure how it works though sorry.

There is a ton of stuff to learn with Trainz if you are interested. A lot of it i have never used and some i do not understand.

One thing i did take time to get working. Was using the Interlocking Towers in conjunction with creating proper paths for player and AI trains.

Which removes the constant need for setting your route manually as you drive the route.

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...rlocking_Tower

https://contentcreation.trainzsimula...towers-part-1/

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Awesome I will check those out to expand my knowledge at some point for sure. For now I actually got a good start as what I have going is simple yet effective. Most of all it's been fun. I'm sure it might get repeating at some point and that is where I'll likely spice things up a bit.

Thanks

Sean