Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Activities and Cabviews?

Question Regarding Activities and Cabviews?

Created some test activities just with player trains at the moment.

Set Start and End points of the activities in the Activity Editor. The End Points are set to the default of "0" mph for player trains. So the activities should finish once player trains have reached the End Points and the trains have stopped.

1) Should there be some sort of indication via the Track Monitor (F4 key), or via some other monitor, of where the End Points are while actually running the activities? If not, how do you know where/when to stop the trains?

2) I've stopped trains where I believe the End Points are, and yet there are no indications that the activities have finished!? I'm fairly certain I've stopped trains beyond the End Points a bit (by guesswork), but activity doesn't seem to finish? Why no indication that the activities have finished?

3) Height of cabviews (above track) from locomotives seem to vary, depending on the make/model of locomotives. But for most (if not all) modern locomotives, I think the cabview height is (or should be) about the same(?) I've found some modern locomotive cabviews which seem to be higher than others. In one case, the cabview was so high it scraped the top of some tunnels in a route, but I suspect those few tunnels were a bit on the low side to begin with. Is there some guide/list of what the correct cabview heights should be?

Thanks!

I think that you are trying to be too fine! Just enjoy what you create,if it works well then just enjoy it. Dont worry about heights of tunnels and such. I suspect that you are using the MSTS default Routes. Remember,they are so,so old!!! I would suggest very strongly that you upgrade to Open Rails. It is so much superior and it DOES tell you when you reach the end of your Activity. It accomodates{for the most part} MSTS content. Have Fun. Brian

Thanks for the comment, but it doesn't really answer my questions.

Actually I'm running add-on routes, mostly.

So, can anyone answer my questions, please?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by meeshu View Post
    Created some test activities just with player trains at the moment.

Set Start and End points of the activities in the Activity Editor. The End Points are set to the default of "0" mph for player trains. So the activities should finish once player trains have reached the End Points and the trains have stopped.

1) Should there be some sort of indication via the Track Monitor (F4 key), or via some other monitor, of where the End Points are while actually running the activities? If not, how do you know where/when to stop the trains?

2) I've stopped trains where I believe the End Points are, and yet there are no indications that the activities have finished!? I'm fairly certain I've stopped trains beyond the End Points a bit (by guesswork), but activity doesn't seem to finish? Why no indication that the activities have finished?

3) Height of cabviews (above track) from locomotives seem to vary, depending on the make/model of locomotives. But for most (if not all) modern locomotives, I think the cabview height is (or should be) about the same(?) I've found some modern locomotive cabviews which seem to be higher than others. In one case, the cabview was so high it scraped the top of some tunnels in a route, but I suspect those few tunnels were a bit on the low side to begin with. Is there some guide/list of what the correct cabview heights should be?

Thanks!
    Concerning creating activities for MSTS >>> http://www.allaboardrails.com/at.htm Activity Tutorial for MSTS
    Steam4ME ( this site is the goto for MSTS information ) >>> https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/...tml#activities

Height of Cab: frontal area of locomotive is important, it does vary with locomotives, actual height of cab above the rail is sometimes given in the manuals or specifications docs. On the other hand "cab height above the rail" for an actual simulator model would depend entirely upon the creator of that model, their skill set, and the specifications they used. Scraping the tunnel in a route, could be bad design of the route and/or the particular model....both things that may or may not be in your skill set to alter ( I don't know enough to offer an opinion on that aspect). See illustrations --

bandicam 2020-03-28 23-26-14-329.jpg bandicam 2020-03-14 15-59-40-331.jpg bandicam 2020-03-28 23-29-43-874.jpg
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Late reply due to internet connection issues.

Comment noted, thanks.

I'll have a look when I can at the links, but I thought someone might know the answers off the top of their head(?)

I'll have a look when I can at the links, but I thought someone might know the answers off the top of their head(?)
    It is impossible to answer the activity questions without actually seeing the activity files to see if the "events" are properly configured. The allaboardrails Activity Tutorial is excellent although a little dated.
    Regards,

Eric

I've had a look at some of the links, but have yet to find definite answers to my questions!?

I've created another very simple activity using MSTS Activity Editor. Just drive a short train about a mile and then stop near the end of a siding. The start and end points were set. The end point was set just a bit short of the actual end of the track.

Then highlighted the entry in the "Action events' small box in the Activity Editor. The entry in that box was named as "Default event" with the following description "Stop at final station". Right clicked the entry and selected "Properties". The following screenshot shows what settings were made in the properties dialog box. Saved and exited AE.

MSTS_Activity (FM60).jpg

But once again, activity successfully completed message still doesn't appear, despite stopping the train at about where the end point is (guessed the stopping position as there is no indication in the Track Monitor where the end point actually is!?).

I've done searches in an attempt to answer my questions, but have yet to find clear answers. There are mentions of "End of Activity" markers, but where are they? And what are they? I don't see anything in the AE related to End of Activity (markers), I only see the route "End Point" marker.

Also from web searches, there is mention of setting the Activation level to "0" (or less than 1) within the Action events properties dialog box, which I've done. But the activity still fails to end and still fails to display any message!?

So, what is wrong here? Why are/is activity not ending, even for this simple drive a train a short distance only!?

Hi , Looks like you have a lot to learn. What you have there is an action event specifying that you will complete the activity after you have disembarked your passengers at the last station. From reading your text, you want to stop your train at the end of a siding to complete activity successfully... for this to happen, you have to use a location event and set it to complete activity successfully AND set the activation level to one. The activity will end automatically when you reach that point. End of story.

Thanks.

It has been quite a few years since I last ran MSTS, so a lot of stuff I learnt back then I've now forgotten. Hence the questions.

By fiddling around with the AE, and partly by chance, I found how you place a "Location event". It is like setting the start and end points for the (player) trains, but you place the location point on the track from the main AE window.

I've set the Location event point as close to the end point as possible, set the radius of the location event point to 25 meters, and set it that the train must stop. Activation level also set at 1.

Also deleted the "Default event" within the Action events dialog box. Not sure if an event is still required within this box or not, despite setting a Location event(?)

Here is the screenshot -

MSTS_Activity_Location_Event (FM60).jpg

Saved and exited the AE, and re-ran the test train. But once again there was no message appearing to the effect that the activity was completed successfully!?

So, there must be something still wrong.

So, there must be something still wrong.
    Yep... you're absolutely right. Show me where I said to check "Train must stop". It should be unchecked... that is where your problem lies