Thread: Duplicate rolling stock entries in ConBuilder

Default Duplicate rolling stock entries in ConBuilder

Hi, hoping someone can assist. I'm running the last available payware version of CB. In it I am showing quite a few duplicate entries for rolling stock, primarily from various SLI and TS purchases. For example, I am seeing:

BOXCAR - BN 50' 287050 (LD)
    BOXCAR - BN 50' 287050 (MT)

When I make up a consist with the duplicate cars listed, and then view the corresponding consist file, it's showing the duplicate cars are all in the same folder. But when examining the folder, it only shows 1 wag file for LD, and one for MT. Why am I seeing duplicates when there's only one wag file shown? Hope I was able to explain this adequately.

And what were the results when you ran ConBuilder's "Check duplicate files" test? Surely you ran the Duplicate files test!!!!!

FEI it is found on the Test Units dialog window, right side, at the top. Click the third box. The one marked "Check duplicate files".
    Before Clicking the Start test button, be sure to click the Wagons button and the Boxed X to select all Wagons.

BTW the answer to your question is covered in the topic "Double Listing" on the ConBuilder Support forum in the ConBuilder sub-forum. The topic is found on the second page of the topic listing.

Another related topic on the Support forum is titled "Duplicate Files"
    Last edited by crstagg; 03-30-2020 at 09:07 PM.
    Charles

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

You can search your trains folder for the particular piece of rolling stock.It will show you where both items are.Delete one,then check your consists and replace any gaps that are left.

I ran into this problem myself. I am creating a scenario for Pacific Surfliner based on operations at Hobart and the Commerce Maintenance Facility. You have two options if you run into this error. Option 1. change the reporting marks changing the reporting marks can fix the error but sometimes this option does not work and you will still get a duplicate consist error which can lead to a core dump and memory crash. If that happens go to option 2. Option 2. is delete the offending railcars and replace them with fresh reporting marks then update your switch list. Avoid duplicates they can mess up the scenario.

This can come up when 2 wag files have the same name line.

Some creators don't bother changing the name line when they spawn another reskin.

This duplication does not cause errors from any of the utilities.

Conbuilder would be better served by displaying the wagon line. ( then you could find it more easily.)
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    This can come up when 2 wag files have the same name line.

Some creators don't bother changing the name line when they spawn another reskin.

This duplication does not cause errors from any of the utilities.

Conbuilder would be better served by displaying the wagon line. ( then you could find it more easily.)
    Select any ENG/WAG in lists and File folder/Filename (Wagon Line) and Name line are displayed at the bottom of the ConBuilder window.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Geomodelrailroader View Post
    I ran into this problem myself. I am creating a scenario for Pacific Surfliner based on operations at Hobart and the Commerce Maintenance Facility. You have two options if you run into this error. Option 1. change the reporting marks changing the reporting marks can fix the error but sometimes this option does not work and you will still get a duplicate consist error which can lead to a core dump and memory crash. If that happens go to option 2. Option 2. is delete the offending railcars and replace them with fresh reporting marks then update your switch list. Avoid duplicates they can mess up the scenario.
    It is not clear what problem you are referring to. Are you referring to the error ConBuilder reports duplicate filenames. Or are you referring to when the consist editors list two ENG/WAGs with exactly the same names? What do you mean by "reporting marks"? Are you referring to the RR & numbers on the ENG/WAG, the filenam, or the Name line?

FYI ConBuilder handles the files in the Trainset the same as the MSTS Sim and the MSTS Consist Editor. It reads the contents of the ENG/WAG file and creates an entry in a database indexed with the Wagon line entry. (This is why the filename, wagon line and Engine line must be identical.) When there are two ENG or WAG files in different folders with exactly the same filenames then only ONE database entry is created. Which one gets the entry is a coin toss. I have tested this creating folder ABCD with WAG file named BX_50ft_UP12345 and associated files with the ACE file giving the Box Car a red skin. Then I created a folder named EFGH with WAG file named BX_50ft_UP12345 and associated files with the ACE file giving the Box Car a Yellow skin.

ConBuilder's Duplicate Filename test will report the duplicate filenames. But only one will will be displayed in the CE or MSTS Sim.

Another FYI: Neither ORTS or the TSRE-CE are affected by the duplicate names as they use both the folder and filenames for indexing.
    Charles

I have found that TS, SLI and MLT sometimes uses the same cars files but in different folders. I've found the same cars in both SLI_xxxx folders as well as in the TS_xxxxx folder. Maple Leaf Tracks does the same thing for different routes and renames the folders to reflect the route. One example is the MLT_Bala_Freight folder has some of the same cars in the MLT_ GTA_Freight folder. Rather than delete the duplicate file I insert a new folder marked "duplicates" within the original folder and put the duplicate car file there. You never know when you may need it again.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Curt C View Post
    Hi, hoping someone can assist. I'm running the last available payware version of CB. In it I am showing quite a few duplicate entries for rolling stock, primarily from various SLI and TS purchases. For example, I am seeing:

When I make up a consist with the duplicate cars listed, and then view the corresponding consist file, it's showing the duplicate cars are all in the same folder. But when examining the folder, it only shows 1 wag file for LD, and one for MT. Why am I seeing duplicates when there's only one wag file shown? Hope I was able to explain this adequately.
    Some payware products, such as the Mullan and Seligman, have the same items.