Thread: Using Transfer to Follow Rails

Default Using Transfer to Follow Rails

Hello, I hope this is the correct place to post this. I am not proficient at Route Building by any stretch. I am wondering how I might go about using a suitable Transfer to follow along the Rails in a Route that is working well.
    I want to add a transfer to the MLT Niagara Corridor Route that will follow the rails from one end to the other.
    I do not know how to do this, although I have been experimenting with different options in TSRE5 with some success!

An nice easy 1-2-3 way of doing this is what I need, my old (71) brain finds it hard to cope with the mish-mash of information sometimes provided. If there is an easy way, let me know, if it is "Impossible" then let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    Hello, I hope this is the correct place to post this. I am not proficient at Route Building by any stretch. I am wondering how I might go about using a suitable Transfer to follow along the Rails in a Route that is working well.
    I want to add a transfer to the MLT Niagara Corridor Route that will follow the rails from one end to the other.
    I do not know how to do this, although I have been experimenting with different options in TSRE5 with some success!

An nice easy 1-2-3 way of doing this is what I need, my old (71) brain finds it hard to cope with the mish-mash of information sometimes provided. If there is an easy way, let me know, if it is "Impossible" then let me know.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Don,

I'd suggest painting the ROW as it looks better than any transfer would...

See this post:

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...ight=miles+ROW

Regards,
    Scott

A transfer wouldn't be feasible. You'd never be able to use just one instance to cover end-2-end, which means using a million copies of it to cover your distance. And, the further you increase size of a transfer file when placing it on the ground, the more washed out it becomes.
    It is VERY easy to paint with TSRE, you'd just have to compress the new terrtex files - I use RouteRiter to do so. There are some "tricks" to get your snow terrtex in order if you paint during the summer. If you get that far, I can help you there.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Thanks guys! I was looking at some things and found a post by Vince and it outlines the process to use TSRE5, that plus what I have seen here will guide me. I am going to try it, just do not know when or how soon.
    Also, including a "Winter" version seems to be an issue? I run all my activities in the other three seasons, so do I have to include a Winter version?
    Thanks again.

Thanks guys! I was looking at some things and found a post by Vince and it outlines the process to use TSRE5, that plus what I have seen here will guide me. I am going to try it, just do not know when or how soon.
    Also, including a "Winter" version seems to be an issue? I run all my activities in the other three seasons, so do I have to include a Winter version?
    Thanks again.
    Hi Don,

While you have to paint them - Goku did make an accommodation for Winter:

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...ERRTEX-in-TSRE

Regards,
    Scott

I know it sounds stupid, but what I did was -
    1. Copy the new terrtex files that I painted and compressed into an empty snow folder (copied the original snow folder out to desktop).
    2. Used Rick's batch file from Monon to create snow textures using the base snow file I already had in the original snow folder.
    3. Copied the new files into the original snow folder.
    4. Deleted new temp snow folder, and then moved back the original.

Done! I haven't studied Goku's method, but I'm sure it's less convoluted....I hope!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

OK, guys. New question but sort of related. Today I was doing some experimenting with adding some vegetation to the NC. I looked for some detailed instructions to utilize the "Gantry" to place some grass. I installed the correct Shapes & Textures files in their respective folders/files.
    I thought (wrongly) that it would populate automatically and I could go back and make some corrections. I installed the MGS Grasses file to make a start and used the included "Gantry" File into the already present Gantry File in the Route MLT Niagara Corridor. Note: It was an empty folder except for the SIMSA (whatever) line.

How do I get this started? I looked into TSRE5 and could find nothing relating to "Gantry", in reference to the other info from you guys, I did find a Placement Window but the MGS Grass Gantry File was not there. I was starting with the one file to see how it goes.
    Any suggestions?

OK, guys. New question but sort of related. Today I was doing some experimenting with adding some vegetation to the NC. I looked for some detailed instructions to utilize the "Gantry" to place some grass. I installed the correct Shapes & Textures files in their respective folders/files.
    I thought (wrongly) that it would populate automatically and I could go back and make some corrections. I installed the MGS Grasses file to make a start and used the included "Gantry" File into the already present Gantry File in the Route MLT Niagara Corridor. Note: It was an empty folder except for the SIMSA (whatever) line.

How do I get this started? I looked into TSRE5 and could find nothing relating to "Gantry", in reference to the other info from you guys, I did find a Placement Window but the MGS Grass Gantry File was not there. I was starting with the one file to see how it goes.
    Any suggestions?
    Hi Don,

Gantry file no longer needed - any object can be "Auto Placed"...

Image2.jpg

Regards,
    Scott

Ok, thanks for that information, Scott. Now, the numbers in your example, 50m refers to the distance apart for the objects? The "translate offset" I see is -10, that is meters from the track center line?

Now when starting do I place the first one or it goes to where the yellow index post is? Subsequent groups are in 50m increments? I hope this makes sense to you.

I will give it a go later today.

Hello all again! I tried a combination of what you told me and Success! Yes, that works, a little fiddling around switches and bridges but a nice relaxing time once I experimented a bit with the numbers.

One question though, the "Y" is vertical, I tried it with a "-1" and it sunk the bushes a bit. How do you get them to only be a little sunk in the ground? I tried "-01" but they went all the way under. Also, how is the overall length determined? Is that the numeral "50" you have in the example? 50 meters?

Thanks again.