Thread: Need help with TSRE activity editor

Question Need help with TSRE activity editor

I've been playing with this "thing" for two nights now and still can't figure it out. When I click on the user guide (or instructions) if you will.....there's nothing there! For now, ALL I want to do is create my own train (consist) to run on the new Mullen Pass route. I've figured out HOW to build trains and save but have no idea where there going. HOW do you get this newly built train to the actual route???

Say you saved the consist as "ABC". Open up OpenRails, load the route, pick the consist ABC and go to town! No need for the Activity Editor unless you are wanting to meet/pass other trains, etc.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.
    FranksRails Photography, LLC. -Owner/Webmaster
    fchrist16 (On most Forums)

Working manual is here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Zkmc2wNIU/edit

This thread may provide some help with the consist editor.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...Consist-Editor

You gotta figure out where you are saving the consists to, once they're made with the consist editor they have to be placed in the Consist folder ---same as with MSTS. Whether you open up TSRE in Route Editor mode and then choose Tools/Activity or Start the Consist editor from the bat file ( or a shortcut -- see above thread ) you first have to choose an installation in the main TSRE window.
    bandicam 2020-04-02 21-00-52-194.jpg
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman_47 View Post
    I've been playing with this "thing" for two nights now and still can't figure it out. ....
    One of the least user-intuitive apps I've experienced.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

My biggest issue with the TSRE AE is that the saving of the various sub-files (traffic, services, etc.) is wonky. It's exceedingly easy to make an error during the save routines that changes what is selected in the main activity screen--then when the main activity is saved, the activity file is corrupted. I believe that some fairly minor changes in the programming of those routines in the AE could solve most of those issues. Being able to directly access the OR Path Editor from the TSRE AE would also be helpful.

All of that said, the TSRE AE will do more than the MSTS AE ever attempted, so I've abandoned the MSTS AE. For me, MSTS is now no more than a file repository.

Quote Originally Posted by wwhall View Post
    My biggest issue with the TSRE AE is that the saving of the various sub-files (traffic, services, etc.) is wonky. It's exceedingly easy to make an error during the save routines that changes what is selected in the main activity screen--then when the main activity is saved, the activity file is corrupted. I believe that some fairly minor changes in the programming of those routines in the AE could solve most of those issues. Being able to directly access the OR Path Editor from the TSRE AE would also be helpful.

All of that said, the TSRE AE will do more than the MSTS AE ever attempted, so I've abandoned the MSTS AE. For me, MSTS is now no more than a file repository.
    Quite agree with everything you've posted. I think Goku is so well versed and familiar with his creation that he is slightly myopic when it comes to it's features being "wonky" and non-intuitive. I still don't like to Activity editor being a tool selection in the Route editor...it is way too easy to slip into RE mode without noticing. I've often wondered if a RE program lock could be engaged when the Activity editor was selected...so even if something was moved or changed...no changes would be saved to the route itself.
    But, as you've said ---these tools are far and away much better than the MSTS tools, and they are relatively new ...so perhaps changes will be made in the future versions. Part of my problem is adjusting to new tools and not knowing anything about route editiors.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    One of the least user-intuitive apps I've experienced.
    The problem is, MSTS AE was the least user-intuitive app I've experienced ever. Never learned it, or how to effectively design activities. TSRE AE is just a reimplementation of MSTS AE tools. Maybe in the future it will be improved, but considering my heath problems, I prefer to do something new for the RE when I can.

I've often wondered if a RE program lock could be engaged when the Activity editor was selected...so even if something was moved or changed...no changes would be saved to the route itself.
    You can do that. Just use "Save Activities" button and then quit TSRE without saving route changes.

Quote Originally Posted by GokuMK View Post
    The problem is, MSTS AE was the least user-intuitive app I've experienced ever. Never learned it, or how to effectively design activities. .....
    Yeah, I can understand how you feel, whereas I was brought up with the MSTS AE and created dozens of Activities with it - many published and even more just for my own entertainment.
    So it just became a familiar tool for me.....like using a screwdriver. I didn't have to think about what I was doing and just did it automatically.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Call me what you want guys but I just don't get this TSRE thing! I'm an old fart that DOESN'T have a masters in computer science! To start out SLOW and simple, I'm TRYING (in vain) to change a consist activity in Mullen pass. The activity called "Horsepower Hours" I'm trying to add a few units and a couple of extra cars. HOW do you even find said activity in TSRE? I see static consist but not the one I'm trying to change. Is it a simple matter of hitting save once this consist is found?

I'm WELL aware that MSTS is dead and gone but lets face it, the original activity editor was A LOT more user friendly !!!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman_47 View Post
    Call me what you want guys but I just don't get this TSRE thing! I'm an old fart that DOESN'T have a masters in computer science! To start out SLOW and simple, I'm TRYING (in vain) to change a consist activity in Mullen pass. The activity called "Horsepower Hours" I'm trying to add a few units and a couple of extra cars. HOW do you even find said activity in TSRE? I see static consist but not the one I'm trying to change. Is it a simple matter of hitting save once this consist is found?

I'm WELL aware that MSTS is dead and gone but lets face it, the original activity editor was A LOT more user friendly !!!
    The only thing I see in the TSRE-AE for editing Activity consists is help in determining the file names of the Player and Traffic consists. Then using that information the user can open the TSRE-CE and select each consist he wants to edit then edit. BUT that same information could just as easily be found by opening the ACT, SRV and TRF files. But it would be easier if one does not know what to look for in those files.

BTW the TSRE-CE's tool to edit the loose consists in activities is far superior to ConBuilder's tool, HOWEVER, remember there is no warning issued when the edited consist exceeds the original consist length so it could exceed the length of the siding, One very useful feature of the TSRE-CE's LC Editor is one can add a Display Name to an LC. So instead of multiple LCs all named "loose consist" one can have "2 WP BX" or "3 ATSF GP-9" or "L&N Cab"
    Charles