Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error 0x80070052 While Trying to Copy Global Folder From MSTS

Default Error 0x80070052 While Trying to Copy Global Folder From MSTS

I recently got a new gaming laptop . I have several things I am trying to address. Over the years I have a collection of things in MSTS I would like transferred to my new laptop however, I've been running Open Rails on my old PC. I am trying to copy my MSTS routes and trainsets over to my new laptop minus the old MSTS CD root. I've read some things in the forums here and the suggestions has been to copy the MSTS Routes, , Global, Sounds and Trains folders over to a folder in Open Rails that I will name to direct Open Rails to go to, to run the collections I have copied over. I have successfully copied the Routes and Sound folders to my thumb USB but the Global folder has crashed three times. It stops copying and an Error 0x80070052 seems to be the reason. At first I thought it might be the folder was too large but the Routes folder which is huge copied over with no problem. I tried to individually copy things inside the Global folder and it seems the shapes is what crashes causing the Error 0x80070052. Any help on any of this is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Derick

IIRC, having "too long" (e.g. > 35 characters?) folder path/file names can cause this issue, likewise attempting to copy a file or folder that contains invalid characters in the name. Lack of enough free space on the USB drive is another possible cause - there may be others. A Google search on the error code will likely give you more possible causes for the problem and/or some potential solutions.

Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Instead of using flash drives that can pop error codes like this, use USB portable hard drives... Size of a wallet... I use a 1TB one to transfer files anywhere....no errors.... Matter of fact, they are useful, handy and cheap... Good for backups.....
    Dave Edwards

I appreciate the input so far. On my old computer, my antivirus is warning and blocking the sites Chris mentioned in his reply. And Dave, I knew when I was going to attempt this exercise I would need ample room on my flash drive to be able to handle this task. With virtually nothing on there I attempted the coping of the global folder and it crashed. The flash drive I'm using is a 256 GB USB Elite Turbo from Best Buy. Model P-FD256TBAT4A-GE. I tried to snip and paste it here but it wouldn't allow it.

Try coping it to another location on the same HD then copy to the USB.

I assume you have tried different USB ports. And different USB drives.

Testing on my system with an old 32GB USB that has 8 GB of Christmas music on it. I say old because we have used it about 6 years back and forth from office and car from early Nov to early Jan,
    Last edited by crstagg; 04-03-2020 at 12:03 PM.
    Charles

Text from URL Chris mentioned:

Error 0x80070052 is one that appears upon copying stuff onto removable drives - at some point, no new files and folders can be created on the drive as well as be copied onto it. That problem is due to restrictions of the format the drive is using - different formats have a different number of files and folders that can be placed in the root directory of a drive (meaning the drive itself, not any sub-folders) no matter how large they are.So to get rid of the error put all of the files on the root directory into sub-folders. If you need space to create those, delete some data temporarily. The drive should be back to normal afterwards!

Are you copying the Global Folder to the USB or just selecting every thing in the folder and coping that?
    Charles

First I tried coping the entire Global folder to the USB and it crashed. Next I successfully copied everything inside the Global folder to a temporary folder on the USB called Global. When I tried copying the shapes inside the Global folder, it crashed with the error listed.

Quote Originally Posted by derickavery View Post
    First I tried coping the entire Global folder to the USB and it crashed. Next I successfully copied everything inside the Global folder to a temporary folder on the USB called Global. When I tried copying the shapes inside the Global folder, it crashed with the error listed.
    Then it appears the problem is with your Global\Shapes folder.
    Charles

Did you try zipping the global folder up and then moving only 1 file via USB?