Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B & O West End Scale Rail Problem

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    Super Elevation was my initial thought but then I thought surely someone that had been on this forum for 16 years and participated in so many threads would know the super elevation affects SR track.
    Really Charles? Well if you'd read some of my posts you'd have seen that I'm not that up to speed with OR and, not that I feel the need to justify myself to you or anyone there ahve been quite a few REAL LIFE issues that have been just a tads more important to me in the last year or so.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    This also continues to be an issue with UK Finescale track and as Geoff says it kind of spoils running routes with bountiful curvature (like Plymouth to Penzance) if you can't enjoy a bit of superelevation.

Would be nice if at some point the ORTS team could add the necessary support.
    Trouble is Vern that there are many excellent track replacements as well as scale rail (which BTW I have and have no criticism of) but there's still a rather parochial attitude to what's needed to fix OR and frankly it's not helping promote it. For now I'll live with NO elevation for the B&O route, WHICH BTW I love, and I'll just have to faff around resetting the feature on routes that handle it well.

Right now with family in Vancouver, New jersey, Ecuador and London I'm kind of more interested in making sure they're safe than sorting out Train sim issues in the free moments I can return to it. Thanks to all those who have helped with the OP.
    Geoff
    UK

Some misconceptions floating around here. There is nothing for the dev team to "fix". The "support" for alternate track systems is already there. They programmed the added functionality to display superelevated track in any cross-sectional design. It is up to the users or content developers (the same pool of talent that developed replacement track systems to begin with) to come up with a matching trackprofile file that delivers the needed cross-sectional appearance when the already-programmed-in functionality is called upon.

That applies whether it is an existing track system or a totally new not-yet-developed track system. The default (right now) is to display as kuju/xtracks compliant. Other users have already developed trackprofiles for ScaleRail and US/DB tracks. Yes, there has been some unapproved backchannel efforts involving Scalerail because of its proprietary nature (which just shows if you want to have bountiful freeware experiences in OR you need to aim for terrific looking non-proprietary track systems where the creator remains involved. Payware routes involving proprietary royalties, of course, would be a different matter). If trackprofiles for other currently existing track systems are still absent, you are waiting on the wrong source of talent to solve the problem.

geepster, I'm gonna bookmark that reply...best explanation I've read so far...this forum and others have this super elevation and missing track question pop up all the time...some of the track profiles around work fine, others are still "glitchy".
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    geepster, I'm gonna bookmark that reply...best explanation I've read so far...this forum and others have this super elevation and missing track question pop up all the time...some of the track profiles around work fine, others are still "glitchy".
    I agree with the idea of making a FULL explanation a sticky Gerry but either your memory is very good or the Forum search engine is poor because my searches before posting this thread threw up little and I had at the back of my mind that there had been other posts. NONE of which were thrown up by my searches
    Geoff
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Yes, there has been some unapproved backchannel efforts involving Scalerail.
    I'm sure if those unnamed backchannel someone reached out to Marc, he would approve of it's distribution for MSTS/OR.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    I agree with the idea of making a FULL explanation a sticky Gerry but either your memory is very good or the Forum search engine is poor because my searches before posting this thread threw up little and I had at the back of my mind that there had been other posts. NONE of which were thrown up by my searches
    I was thinking primarily of discussions over at ET...but if you search "super elevation" you'll pull up quite a few threads...mostly about track sections not appearing in OR --- most often the answer is turning off super elevation...not much detailed discussions about track profiles.

Someone with knowledge of route building and track profiles should take on the task of making profiles for OR ... there is an explanation in the manual and I believe a "white paper" on it somewhere in the OR docs. Perhaps, in time.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.