Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light sources in Open Rails

Default Light sources in Open Rails

In Open Rails there are only two sources of light, namely the Sun and the headlights of the locomotive. Thus in the night, the train appears pitch dark even when it is on a platform which “has night textures”. To improve the realism I feel there should be “light sources” which would illuminate the surrounding surfaces (so that the side of train facing the platform is adequately lit as how it should be in real life.

I would like to know what steps are being taken by the Open Rails team to ensure the same.

Regards,
    Sankar

This idea requires dynamic lighting. Something like that wasn't possible in MSTS era of personal computers, today every game supports dynamic lighting. But it would require huge changes to OR graphics engine.

If you know anyone who would contribute to the development, please send the info to the OR admins. Stuff like you are asking for is only possible if we all assist the team.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Thanks for the suggestion. Since I don’t know anyone like that personally I’m asking here.

Hi Folks,

This was mentioned before and (IIRC) one of the reasons given was our requirement to maintain support with older products and operating systems that wouldn't support whatever was needed for multiple light sources. As a group - it's more than obvious that we're extremely reluctant to move forward.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Folks,

This was mentioned before and (IIRC) one of the reasons given was our requirement to maintain support with older products and operating systems that wouldn't support whatever was needed for multiple light sources. As a group - it's more than obvious that we're extremely reluctant to move forward.

Regards,
    Scott
    it is acceptable !
    But the idea of the friend sankara, is very good.
    I believe that the evolution, is almost reaching the requirements for general implantation in OPEN REILS.

let's wait .
    Chimbica Dash8

So could we have dynamic lighting as an option that can be decided by the route maker and the end used, so that only users with high specs can get this feature on routes that have similar requirements?

It has less to do with adequate PC specs and more to do with Open Rails officially leaving MSTS compatibility behind. Nobody's there - yet.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    It has less to do with adequate PC specs and more to do with Open Rails officially leaving MSTS compatibility behind. Nobody's there - yet.
    Do you think that will ever happen? I suppose OR could be coded for multiple light sources - dynamic lighting - and still keep MSTS legacy compatiblility. My personal opinion -- less interested in legacy compatibility ( at this point 90-95% legacy routes and equipment work in OR ) and more interested in OR moving forward.

Sankara you are missing one critical point...It will take a volunteer who is interested in dynamic lighting to devote time and effort to develop, test, and debug the code. Until that point computer specs are irrelevant.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 04-11-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Most of this circles around to the same point--MSTS compatibility. Here's the reality--most of the payware and freeware content creators have abandoned MSTS. More and more offering are "OpenRails only." So, my suggestion is to move forward on things like dynamic lighting, etc.--just as has been done with OpenRails physics. Leave it such that "legacy" stuff will run in OR, but move forward with advances in OR for features that only OR can do. I just realized that I've been running OpenRails only for actual simming for 7 years now, and I abandoned the MSTS AE and RE when Goku's OR Editors appeared. If OR hadn't come along, I would have likely scrapped MSTS for TS20** or Run8 several years ago.