Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Route World Rebuild

Todd,
    The post does imply a non existant TSRE problem. And I do agree a TDB rebuilder would be useful.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I still get that once in a while, where a track vector will get reversed. A 'Z cycle' will fix that right up. That's the only track problem I've ever had in TSRE, apart from really early versions. A rebuild feature might be nice for routes that came from the MSTS RE, but TSRE routes can handle databases much better, so I personally don't know that it's necessary unless you're trying to revive a busted MSTS route

I still think its needed for routes... Please lets wait for Goku to respond to the request before this thread gets out of hand or big! A re builder of some kind will be greatly appreciative because doing Z key manually takes forever track by track.
    Todd
    Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub

Todd,

Goku is well aware of the requests for a database rebuilder. He and I had discussions on the matter when I first began the PRR rebuild. All those discussions archived at Elvas Tower.
    Towards the completion I found that the many (over 200) database errors were correctable thankfully without the use of the buggy TDB rebuild process. Open Rails flushed out and TSRE was able (with help from ChiFan) to repair all the errors.

So he knows of the request but I am, like ebnertra000, no longer convinced it's needed by my experience with the PRR.
    Didn't mean to step on your thread.

regards,

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Todd,

Goku is well aware of the requests for a database rebuilder. He and I had discussions on the matter when I first began the PRR rebuild. All those discussions archived at Elvas Tower.
    Towards the completion I found that the many (over 200) database errors were correctable thankfully without the use of the buggy TDB rebuild process. Open Rails flushed out and TSRE was able (with help from ChiFan) to repair all the errors.

So he knows of the request but I am, like ebnertra000, no longer convinced it's needed by my experience with the PRR.
    Didn't mean to step on your thread.

regards,
    You make no sense ..........
    You want a TDB rebuild then you don't I STILL want one no matter what BECAUSE of how much time is spent MANUALLY going TRACK BY TRACK.....
    "And I do agree a TDB rebuilder would be useful.

regards,"
    Todd

I'll try to explain:
    1. At first (the planning for PRR rebuild) I wanted a TDB rebuilder because the MSRE didn't work at all on the PRR.
    2. After completing the PRR rebuild I had changed my mind because of a) The tools available in Open Rails and b) the tools available in TSRE, notably the database editing tools.
    I hope this makes sense.

regards,

I still stand by my request because it took one click of a button to rebuild in MSRE and now several with TSRE. Admins can lock this ,this isnt getting anywhere fast .
    Last edited by cnwfan; 04-09-2020 at 09:42 PM.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by cnwfan View Post
    I still stand by my request because it took one click of a button to rebuild in MSRE and now several with TSRE. Admins can lock this ,this isnt getting anywhere fast .
    One click?
    That turns out not to be the case because to achieve a proper TDB rebuild you had to manually delete the TDB, TIT, RDB & RIT database files.
    Failure to remove these files before rebuilding resulted in the old data being reused although the 'All Tiles Visited' message was displayed.
    The "All Tiles visited" was correct but the new data from the 'visited' tiles was thrown out due to a bug in the rebuild code.
    This is pretty well known to experienced route builders.

btw, most of the track can be removed from the TDB via the Hack > Remove Track Vector Tree procedure. The track would have to be added back one-click-at-a-time though.
    regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    One click?
    That turns out not to be the case because to achieve a proper TDB rebuild you had to manually delete the TDB, TIT, RDB & RIT database files.
    Failure to remove these files before rebuilding resulted in the old data being reused although the 'All Tiles Visited' message was displayed.
    The "All Tiles visited" was correct but the new data from the 'visited' tiles was thrown out due to a bug in the rebuild code.
    This is pretty well known to experienced route builders.

btw, most of the track can be removed from the TDB via the Hack > Remove Track Vector Tree procedure. The track would have to be added back one-click-at-a-time though.
    regards,
    And destroy ALL track signal linkages in the process which is a catastrophe for a complete route

Once I got the knack of it, I've never had to resort to a MSTS RE TDB build for ages. Its like taking an ICBM to the entire route when localized repair works nearly always.

I think something smarter than the old TDB rebuilder would be nice to have for sure, i.e. that automatically scans thru and locally fixes errors rather than wiping the entire slate clean.