Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win 10 & Severn Valley Railway/West Somerset Railway route CDs

Default Win 10 & Severn Valley Railway/West Somerset Railway route CDs

Hi All,
    I don't know how many members of this Forum will be interested in this, but here gos ... !

As most users will be aware, it's not possible to install some MSTS route CDs due to the drivers for the SecuRom/SafeDisc security system being omitted from Windows 10, with no possibility of adding them manually. Copying the contents of the CDs into hard drive folders and attempting to run the installer from there is thwarted by problems being reported accessing the fstype.dll file, included on the CD.

I am finalising the development of a utility which will copy the appropriate InstallShield .cab/.hdr files directly from the CDs on to the user's hard drive and, using a freely available Open Source program unpack them. This utility will also unpack upgrade files.

The products involved are the Severn Valley Railway, West Somerset Railway and TGV Pack, together with the SVR and WSR upgrade files, all from Just Trains. I've not yet gone through all my MSTS CDs, so there may be others which could benefit from this utility.

I'm now at the point of preparing the readme, so am looking for one or two testers to make sure that it doesn't only work properly for me!! Also, please let me know if you know of any other route CDs which cannot be installed under Win 10.

The name of the new utility?? I'd no idea what to call it, so its 'working title' is Utility22 - because I've already written about 21 others, although not all have been published!!

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi Ged
    Im interested in you utility22. Im havibg trouble with installing Seven Valley and also west Somerset bith from Just Trains

Hi Magandy54,
    Welcome to the Forum Apologies, but I missed your post

My utility is about to be uploaded to the file library. It will enable Just Trains' Severn Valley Railway and West Somerset Railway routes and their TGV Pack to be added under Win 10. Note that these add-ons are not 'installed' - please see the main readme. This utility will also unpack the downloadable SVR and WSR upgrades enabling the user to add the files without requiring the CD to be in the drive.

It was found that attempts to install 3DTS Cambrian route CD (NOT Cambrian 2) failed with a "catastrophic error" message. Although this CD didn't use the SecuRom/SafeDisc system, it did use InstallShield 6. Utility22 was able to extract the appropriate folders for adding into an MSTS installation.

Additionally, some flight sim add-ons from Just Flight couldn't be installed but Utility22 extracted the data for the user to add into their installation.

It's quite possible that there are other add-ons on CD which are protected by the SecuRom/SafeDisc system and/or use an InstallShield 6 installer. If you encounter any other CD add-ons, for any game/simulator, which cannot be installed for the same reason, please let me know if Utility22 was helpful. Conversely, if it wasn't able to unpack the data, I'd still like details because, currently, the program has only been tested/used with CDs and downloads which use the InstallShield 6 installer.

The file library doesn't allow for general utilities, so I've had to register this as an MSTS utility. (utility22_v1.0.zip)

Cheers,
    Ged

Excellent idea Ged. I've also got "American Classics" CD, originally Train Artisan but now available as a download https://www.justtrains.net/product/a...ssics-download
    I object to having to pay again for something I already own.

Many of the contributors to the TA stuff went on to produce better and more "current" models but no one else had yet modelled those NYC Hudsons to my knowledge?

I'll report back on how it works with this CD. Even Win 7 chucked it out BTW.

Thanks for the Utility.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Not being patronising,Ged,but your utilities are so useful for the community.I for one am so grateful for the activity unpacker for instance,it works a treat.

It does not work for the "American Classics" CD,it said it had copied the files,but did not do anything thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    It does not work for the "American Classics" CD,it said it had copied the files,but did not do anything thereafter.
    That's bad news, but I have some of the other CD's not currently installed so still may be of a help?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Excellent work on that Ged.

Re Just Flight, I did find their support reasonably helpful when it came to getting some of the add-ons replaced by downloads. However as they pointed out, without any proof of purchase they are not to know you didn't just buy second hand off Ebay or similar.

Non railway related, I believe Mass Effect 1 might be a title subject to Securom, will have to test it later as I never got round to reinstalling after my Win 10 update/HDD adventure last year.
    Vern.

I should have added,system is WIN 7.

Thanks for this utility Ged. It worked like a charm on my American Classics disc, after I read ALL of the manual and had a second try. Using Win10, 1903 version.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.