Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The best experience in my almost 20 years of simming

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Yeah, Ezra. I've gone up to a 486DX, mate.
    No, seriously, the line in my sig simply represents the very first PC I had.

But I did upgrade more recently...a fortnight ago, in fact. Had a new one built for me in prep for FS2020.
    Specs, if you are interested:-

CPU: Core i-5 9400F
    GPU: RTX-2070 Super 8GB
    RAM: 16GB
    Storage: 2TB SS
    D
    Pro
    Internal wifi card
    DVD burner80+
    Gold 750W power supply

Wireless keyboard & mouse
    Nice! Those I5 Cores are underated beasts.

Funny you should mention MSFS 2020. I`m an avid flight sim enthusiast as well. I was doing P3Dv4 for awhile but ended up uninstalling it. Too much of a nightmare with stuttering, micro pauses, etc. Not to mention the huge investment for add-ons just to make one region look good. I do jump into DCS now and again for "practice" flights while waiting for the former.

Cheers.

Gee Scott where did you get that from

Everyone have fun, I sincerely mean that. Just got done after 6 hours this morning building a hump. I'll keep an eye open for V3 of Run8 as I really want to see this get better. They are in good hands.

Take care

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Nice! Those I5 Cores are underated beasts.
    Well, the last update I did was eight years ago so I thought I'd treat myself to a new system. It'll probably be my last one, at my age. I might add a VR system after FS2020 arrives.

I must admit, it certainly rocks!! Even the most graphically-intensive game (Fallout 4) in my library is run at Ultra level and FPS rarely falls below 120.
    Open Rails, Run 8, etc just love it.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Well, the last update I did was eight years ago so I thought I'd treat myself to a new system. It'll probably be my last one, at my age. I might add a VR system after FS2020 arrives.

I must admit, it certainly rocks!! Even the most graphically-intensive game (Fallout 4) in my library is run at Ultra level and FPS rarely falls below 120.
    Open Rails, Run 8, etc just love it.
    With the system you have now you could run Orbiter 2016 with the 3D3 wrapper. The HD textures will blow you away if you care to load them and have the room. Orbiter is an incredible space simulator. And it is free to boot. I use it to relax after a hard day as well as Run8.

Cheers

With the system you have now you could run Orbiter 2016 with the 3D3 wrapper......
    That sim looks seriously intimidating to me, Ezra.
    Many years ago I had a couple of space sims.....one was the Microsoft product (1994) and there was another which simulated the Apollo system. Can't recall its name.

I enjoyed the learning process but these days I can do without the high level of realistic astrophysics.
    Maybe I'll opt for "X4" or "Elite: Dangerous" for my dose of spaciousness.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Smile

That sim looks seriously intimidating to me, Ezra.
    Many years ago I had a couple of space sims.....one was the Microsoft product (1994) and there was another which simulated the Apollo system. Can't recall its name.

I enjoyed the learning process but these days I can do without the high level of realistic astrophysics.
    Maybe I'll opt for "X4" or "Elite: Dangerous" for my dose of spaciousness.
    Yeah. It is a huge learning curve for sure.

I just do the simple scenarios with auto-pilot, etc. e.g. Launches/retrieval with thrusters with a default orbit, etc. Stuff like that. The nice thing about it is the latter, but you can also run in Full Screen/Window Mode or Borderless Window mode. Therefore, all the nifty features of your GPU app will work as well. I almost fell out of my chair when I finally got everything up and running.

The reason I mention Orbiter 2016 is because of what the D3D9 wrapper did for the GFX engine. I believe the programming code is similar. Just an incredible transformation. This makes me wonder if the pending Run8 v3 will come with a D3D9 Client "type" wrapper in a similar fashion. If it does, all the previous Run8 owners are in for a real treat.

Furthermore, on a Run8 note, I was told (from a reliable source) there are additional four and six axle locomotives in the pipe-line coming.

Cheers
    Last edited by Ezra; 05-01-2020 at 05:40 PM.

.....This makes me wonder if the pending Run8 v3 will come with a D3D9 Client "type" wrapper in a similar fashion. If it does, all the previous Run8 owners are in for a real treat.
    I've tried to use a re-shader on R8 but to no avail. It works fine with Open Rails and a couple of other programs but not on Run 8.

Furthermore, on a Run8 note, I was told (from a reliable source) there are additional four and six axle locomotives in the pipe-line coming.
    I hope that information is true, then.

Maybe some long awaited Alcos...
    Vern.

I believe Alcos and Dash 9`s are comming.