Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd FA Problem

Default Odd FA Problem

Hi All,

I'm drawing a piece of passenger equipment and I'm having a strange problem with my FA and hope someone else has seen this and knows the fix.

My FA is the seats. When I open the mail file in Shape Viewer and then add the seats at the second shape they don't show. If I open the seats first, the the main file, everything shows as expected. When I open the car in the sim, from the cab the seats are sticking out front of the cab by what appears to be a quarter the length of the FA. When I go to any exterior view everything is as expected.

Any ideas what's going on and how to fix it, never had this problem before.

Paul :-)

Hi Paul,

Is the FA center on the origin in TSM? If not, that could cause the 2nd problem.

I had the same shapeviewer issue with my troop sleepers 10 years ago. I never figured out why, and it wasn't a problem in the Sim, so I just let it go.

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Northern Virginia, United States of America

The fist problem I believe to be nothing more than a minor glitch in Shape Viewer, I have encountered it too and generally ignore it or reverse the order of shape loading if I want to see the seats.

As for the cabview, It sounds like the cabview is positioned in the middle of the car, or too far back, instead of at the front. I know Freight Animations will appear from the cab view (I believe I've seen some of your SW1200 models take advantage of this). If the Freight Animation is showing correctly from external views, than I would deduce the best option would be to move the cabview position forward by changing the Position line in the .CVF file.

I've tried a few things and have replaced a few shapes just in case they are corrupt some how. The seats in the FA are centered and all ar parented to a MAIN parented to NONE that is centered. I'm going to redraw them as well, last night one of the things I tried was to bring just a few seats into the main file and as soon as I did, the main would no longer generate a binery and stopped showing in Consist Editor (although it was still listed and did show up in both MSTS and OR). I though of the Cabview position last night, I'll check and make sure that isn't the cause, but thanks for the reminder.

OK, here's what I found.

Rick... I'm using your new RDC cabview. The reason whey the seats were seen sticking in front to the cab was the cabview position was only 6 meters from the center, I adjusted it to Position ( .89 2.85 12.06 ) and the seats went away.

Still not getting the seats in the FA to show properly when I try to add them as a second shape in Shape Viewer. I drew another set in hoped that there was a corrupt polygon causing this but nothing changed. I added a pair to the main file, ran it through Polymaster, and deleted the FA line in the ENG file. The seats did appear when I opened the file in Shape Viewer, but not in Activity Editor.

I removed the seats and will live with having them in an FA.

Thanks for the help,

when i use addition of FA, i realized that when they are transferred from MSTS to OR, POSITIONS ARE NOT THE SAME.

External FA, which was moficid, also has its position changed.
    Chimbica Dash8

My F/A is only the seats in an RDC. As it turned out the reason why I saw them sticking out in front of the car was because the cabview file was wrong, it had the front position as 6 meters and it should have been just over 12 meters.

Still having a strange problem with this F/A. I redrew the seats, slightly simpler and saved 200 polygons... but still, the F/A does not show in Shape Viewer if it's brought in as the second shape. Just found out that if I zoom in enough that the camera actually enters the car, the seats are there.

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    My F/A is only the seats in an RDC. As it turned out the reason why I saw them sticking out in front of the car was because the cabview file was wrong, it had the front position as 6 meters and it should have been just over 12 meters.

Still having a strange problem with this F/A. I redrew the seats, slightly simpler and saved 200 polygons... but still, the F/A does not show in Shape Viewer if it's brought in as the second shape. Just found out that if I zoom in enough that the camera actually enters the car, the seats are there.

That's an alpha problem with Shape viewer and much easier to explain :-)

Never had the problem before Rick. I ended up moving all the seats to the main file and all the underframe to the F/A and that works in Shape Viewer but now I'm back to not having the binary that was created showing in Activity Editor, and it still won't open in MSTS. That one is odd, I was opening in MSTS until I trimmed unnecessary polygons.

Paul, try extending a line from the axis point to one of the vertices. I had a similar issue a few years back with FA's and I think having that invisible connection to the axis made it behave.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk