Thread: Multi-Shape Locomotive as Static Item

Default Multi-Shape Locomotive as Static Item

Hello, I hope you know what I am meaning here, Locomotives that use a Two-Part Shape File and/or FA to be a complete locomotive.
    One example would be Paul Charland's CP SW's where there are two parts to get the Complete "Shape". Regular "Old Style" MSTS locos are easy, as is Older Rolling Stock.

One's like his Burro Crane are easy, two pieces that just have to be lined up (Boom & Cab). Are the Locos the same? Just line up the shapes in the spot selected?

Any way that TSRE5 deals with this situation differently? Just thought I would ask.

Two-part format file and / or FA works on old MSTS files and new OPEN RAILS files.

It makes no difference to TSRE5.

in Paul Charland's archives, which are not manufactured in the old method, which have the technique of separating them.
    Chimbica Dash8

In both cases it comes down to what you can see from the cab and how you are going to make your cabview. When I drew the CP SW1200RSs there were still three paint schemes on the Dominion Atlantic, The cabview ace file that cam with the generic SW1200 I started from had a gray colored side of the hood in front of the cab. I alpha'ed that out to just the trim around the windows so you could see the colored hood of the engine you were running... that's the first step. The second step was to make a "Body" file, essentially everything you would see if you were sitting in the cab, the hood, handrails, walkway, exhaust stacks, grabirons on the side of the hood sort of thing. That would leave the entire cab including the window glazing, sideframes, trucks, fuel tank and the outer faces of the pilots and whatever was on them in the main file. When you were making a consist in Activity Editor and selected one of these engines you would only see the cab, frame, and trucks. I later made a copy of the hood and reduced it to "0" width so the hood would show in AE but not interfere with the cabview and I'm still doing that today.

Paul :-)

I love the Routes and Rolling Stock/Locomotives that you have made.
    I want to use one just to sit on a random Cement Siding and another for an Elevator siding. I do not want to have it as a "Static-Consist" in an activity, just as a permanent Scenery Item - Not Operated - to appear repeatedly as that scenery item. I would like to include the details, as the areas I have in mind are quite close to the Player Path Tracks. I may even install a Crew! LOL

I've done this but manually in the .W file, not the RE or TSRE... I'm pretty certain you need to include the shapefile in your route's Shapes directory. I've never tried to force it to pull from the TRAINS\TRAINSET folder.

I had a look at CP 8134 this morning. Turned out it has 11033 polygons which means it would have to be divided into 7 objects to become a static object in MSRS/OR.

Oh, ok Paul. I see what you are saying. I never thought about the Polygon issue as a problem.

I guess I will utilize an older simpler loco, or learn to do Loose Consists again, looks easier with TSRE5 editor.

Thank you all for pointing out these points.

There is a function in Route-Riter to make a locomotive static but that just kills the sound and stops the exhaust, it would still need to be brought in as a loose consist and placed on a piece of track if done that way.